Skip to main content

Starting point of topics

More
4 years 8 months ago #202062 by dno
Replied by dno on topic HCVCA Forum Update Coming Soon
Why do the new posts go in an upward direction ?
Every other forum I'm on, you scroll downward to the next unread post. Reply
at the bottom of the page at the last post read.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202067 by 180wannabe
Not sure why, i think it's awful, but you can change it in your "preferences", but the change only works when you are logged on. It's still upside down if you view the forum without logging on (as i often do).
The following user(s) said Thank You: dno

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #202069 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic HCVCA Forum Update Coming Soon
When I changed preferences to first post first it takes me back to the very first post (about 180 pages of Wheremeye) not to the last unread post like the old system which is what I think people are after.

The preferences only give "First Post First" or "Last Post First" it needs "Last unread Post First" if the green notes do not take you directly there like they used to.

Looks like you have a choice of bringing up the first post in a thread from 5 years ago then re clicking to get the latest page with last unread post - somewhere down the page, not directly as previously - in the right order as found on all other forums or going straight to the new stuff but getting it upside down.

I appreciate the hard work put in trying to modernise the forum and it is certainly cleaner but it seems pointless if the result takes you from an intuitive standard system to an unsatisfactory operation requiring extra clicking and searching and a display that is like reading a book starting at the back page.

Maybe I have it all ballsed up but it has me tossed at the moment.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #202070 by dno
Replied by dno on topic HCVCA Forum Update Coming Soon
The easiest way to get the most recent post, is.
1. click on the recent topic's.
2. move to the right of the topic and then click on last post.
3. scroll up or down to find the last unread post, and read from there.

A, "last unread post" button or similar would be nice.

You can go into forum settings.
(Select the time limit for pages,) then move to the right and select
(since last visit)
then save the changes at the bottom of the settings window.
This should bring up the last unread post when you next visit the thread.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by dno.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202075 by Gryphon
Hi,

I have restored a version of the Forum prior to the change last week and checked what the settings were and made things the same here on the updated Forum as it was getting a bit confusing trying to keep up with what people thought it did or didn't used to do.

That means the Public/Guests/Not logged in people will see the posts in 'Oldest Post First' order.

If you hadn't made a selection in your Profile/Preferences you would get the Default settings, which is again 'Oldest Post First'.

If you did make a change in your Profile/Preferences then it will be either 'First Post First' or 'Last Post First' depending on your selection.

When looking at either the Index of posts in a Category or the Recent Topics list you can click on the green (5 NEW) link and it will take you to the oldest post that you haven't read, so in this example it would be the 5th last post.

I haven't been able to test whether the (5 NEW) displayed in the box tot he right of the screen was actually a link or just displayed on the previous version.

Otherwise each thing I have been able to test suggests it is behaving the same on both the new and older versions of the Forum.

The order of posts within a thread when using 'Last Post First' in your preferences will display the last post at the top of the page, not the bottom as suggested earlier, which is consistent with the previous version of the Forum and other brands of Forum software I use/support elsewhere.

If you would like to check things for yourself, you can see a copy of the previous Forum from a couple of weeks ago here, testsite1.hcvc.org.au

I plan to delete the copied version of the Forum in a few days after people interested have had a play so if you want to create some test posts feel free, it will be deleted soon.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, dno

More
4 years 8 months ago #202077 by 180wannabe
Sorry Terry, but my updated forum is no different, however dno's suggested steps 1,2 & 3 work for me, but that is still the long way round of getting anywhere compared with how it used to be.
The testsite1 link to the old version works properly for me like it used to though.
I can handle starting at page 1 of each thread each time if we have to, it just means another click to get to the latest page, but trying to follow from bottom to top is really doing my head in.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #202078 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic HCVCA Forum Update Coming Soon
Terry

I really appreciate your efforts and my comments have no critical element to them. I understand these things take time and also if nobody reports problems they can not be solved. In the scheme of things they are minor and will not stop us going forward but once the tsunami is tamed the remaining ripples can be smoothed progressively.

Another one I noticed is when you go to "Forum Latest" it jumps across to first/last or whatever your settings are but it wipes out the "Forum Latest" list on the right and shows only the "Upcoming Events" list.

This means instead of reading the current latest thread and just going over over to click the next unread thread you have to get out out of the one you are reading and go back to the start to find the list with the next green flag.

Lang

PS. Just had a good look at 5 similar forums. They all operate on an easy system such as we had before.
Latest or unread posts are represented either by our old green note style taking you directly to the first unread post - wherever it is on the page, not just to the top of the last page. Another method shows any unread posts for each thread when you go to a category by having the thread in bold. Once you have opened that thread it goes back to normal print until such time as a new post comes along.

I know all systems are not interchangeable and you can not necessarily pluck methods at random from something you like but in this day and age there must be some way to create a system in the new forum that is industry standard and nothing more than the old one handled easily for a number of years?
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202083 by cobbadog
G'Day Terry,
Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to sort out the minor glitches in the new look forum.

I have one for you to look at when you have time..
when you open a topic, eg, 'event' and you want to go back to the home page I used to be able to click on the tool bar at the top and or the bottom of the threads and click forum but in the event section that is not there. Not sure if it is intentional or an over site.
Thanks for your time, Cobba

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202096 by Gryphon

Another one I noticed is when you go to "Forum Latest" it jumps across to first/last or whatever your settings are but it wipes out the "Forum Latest" list on the right and shows only the "Upcoming Events" list.

This means instead of reading the current latest thread and just going over over to click the next unread thread you have to get out out of the one you are reading and go back to the start to find the list with the next green flag.

Lang and anyone else having similar issues,

I can't recreate the issue you are describing here, my Forum Latest is behaving the same way as before only the green exclamation mark is now a (x NEW) being displayed. When I click on a link, in Bold, I go to the article and it does drop me at the last post in that thread even if the green indicator was saying there were 4 New. When looking at the thread and every page after that my Forum Latest is still showing the same items, except the one I selected is no longer in bold and saying there are new posts.

I suspect some of these issue may be related to your biscuit tin, there are some old Cookies your Tin as I had to clear my Cookies for HCVC a few days ago during the upgrade process.

To clear your Cookies if you use Googles Chrome Browser, go to this page and follow the instruction to delete Specific Cookies searching for the term HCVC when you get to step 6. support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647

In Firefox go to your settings and select Privacy and Security and then under Cookies select Manage Data and there you can type in HCVC and just delete the data for the HCVC sites and not affect any of your other websites you visit.

For Microsoft Edge(Windows 10 Browser) select the three dots in the top right, and then Settings at the bottom and then Clear Browsing Data, Choose what to Clear but ironically you can't really choose, you have to delete all Cookies.

Try clearing the Cookies and let's see what issues you are still having.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
4 years 8 months ago #202097 by Gryphon

cobbadog wrote: G'Day Terry,

when you open a topic, eg, 'event' and you want to go back to the home page I used to be able to click on the tool bar at the top and or the bottom of the threads and click forum but in the event section that is not there. Not sure if it is intentional or an over site.
Thanks for your time, Cobba

I can see your issue and sort of know what is going on, it is a conflict with the Events menu item on the website, outside of the Forum which was also not displaying the Forum Latest box on just that page. It might just take me a little while to workout what is the best way to fix it without breaking all the links coming in from Google Search pages.

And it is not actually a new problem, I can see it is doing the same thing on the old Forum. :)

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds