Skip to main content

Taxis

More
9 years 11 months ago #128941 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Taxis

Think the one with the green Oldsmobile is a '55 Pontiac

Right you are, I must be tired after driving half the day. (in the Stude)
I should have recognised that one.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #128942 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: Taxis
[IMG

This was my old girl, a few years ago, I painted it yellow & white, the fella i sold it to finished it off.
1950 plymouth special deluxe, 202 holden & trimatic, jeez it rode well

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
9 years 11 months ago #128943 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Taxis
a few from Israel.

Those were once very popular fitted with Perkins 4 cyl. diesels (yes) but then Checker had the briliant idea to use the 1st gen GM V8 diesel, which was so bad the cabs were re-purchased by the dealer.

Before that, there was the Desoto, again in many cases with Perkins diesel engines.

Pic by Studio Bella.

Some more by Dutch photographer Van Der Paul.

The Desoto was replaced by the Dodge Coronado with a lwb conversion by a Belgian coach builders company, here's one hiding behind the Desoto, with Peugeot 403 and a Mercury Comet somewhere in there too...

and a few more Chrysler products - spot the odd Renault though. Cars are most likely gone, restaurant is still there and offers good Israeli food.

Cheers

T

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #128944 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic More Cuba taxis
The recent additions have been very interesting. I won't pick a favourite.
Here are some more taxis in Cuba, showing a lot of variety.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

100301M La Habana, Cuba. Motor taxi & horse taxi. I can read 'ATO' on the yellow one, but can't see what precedes. Any idea of make/model?

100301M La Habana, Cuba. Taxis & yank tank.

100304Th Matanzas, Cuba. Taxi (make?) tucked behind trucks.

100305F Trinidad, Cuba. Pedal taxi.

Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
9 years 10 months ago #128945 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Taxis
This mops up my Cuba 2010 taxi coverage.

Roderick B Smith

100308M Remedios. Pedal taxi R Smith.

100309Tu Sagua. Pedicabs. R Smith.

100309Tu Sagua. Peditaxi. R Smith.

100310W Caibarien. Peditaxis. R Smith.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #128946 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Myanmar taxis
This was on my first trip to Myanmar. Visas were limited to 7 days, and there were restricted places for touring. This was mainly lack of infrastructure, not politics. Most signs in English had been removed. The surprise is that the taxis are labelled in English; those numberplates appear to be letters, not numerals. I had to learnt to be fluent in Burmese numerals. The two Austins appear to A40 Somerset models. The ute version was made in Australia, not UK. The others appear to be various Japanese models, probably obtained cheaply because of the compulsory retirement of old vehicles in Japan (Sri Lanka is another beneficiary; AFAIK NZ is another market, probably Fiji, now the argument rages in Australia).
I arrived at Shwenyaung at 17.38 by train, and boarded a hilite taxi at 17.38 for a 60 min ride into Taunggyi: two passengers in front; 12 in the longitudinal-seat rear; luggage on the front. I got the middle-front seat.
Taunggyi is a major city, capital of a state, a tourist centre for Lake Inle. The photo appears to be next morning, while I was catching a minibus direct to Thazi.

Roderick B Smith

870923W Taunggyi (Myanmar), old & modern taxis.

Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
9 years 8 months ago #128947 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Taxis, modern NZ
Here are three modern ones at Palmerston North International Airport (NZ). I can't guess the makes: they are so generically bland.

Roderick B Smith

020403W Palmerston North International Airport (NZ). Taxis. R Smith

9 years 8 months ago #128948 by
Replied by on topic Re: Taxis
...g'day Rodders .. BTW...how do you get away with changing the thread title ol' mate??...hhmmm...very interesting ;D ;D

...the first looks like a VN/VP Commodore, next an AU Falcon, and last possible an EB Falcon.....all clunking along rewardlessly ::) ::)

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #128949 by Roderick Smith
I'm in Brazil, and have done a lot of travel by bus so far. It is hard to tell which of the Mexico Brazil Argentina Chile set runs the world's best bus systems: the vehicles, the terminals, the density of service, the ticketing system. I have had a two nights straight and a three nights straight in executive: reclining seats, with a more-generous pitch than in Australia. I haven't seen inside a sleeper bus. This photo is clearly for taxis. We stopped for supper at a roadhouse which had preserved railway equipment and three preserved Fords. I don't know the model, but it is into the V8 era. The wide-angle lens gives the misleading impression of straight 8 or V16, neither of which Ford built.

Roderick B Smith

140830Sa Santa Cruz supper stop, Ford taxi. R Smith

Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
9 years 5 months ago #128950 by Roderick Smith
It's amazing what appears when scanning for some other reason. This one is sandwiched between Webb Dock and Melbourne International Airport, and I can't tell which carpark. I suspect the dock, to be loaded onto 'Princess of Tasmania' (which left from there in that era) for a rally.
I can't guess the make from the badge, and not the model or year either.

Roderick B Smith

711230Th Webb Dock or 31F Melbourne International Airport (Vic.): 1920s Yellow Cab. R Smith.

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds