Skip to main content

Taxis

9 years 2 weeks ago #128961 by
Replied by on topic Re: Taxis
...jeeez she's a small taxi Rodders!.....keep 'em cummin' mate 8-) 8-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #128962 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Taxis - pedicabs
I have just placed this with horses (and other animals), but these pedicabs warrant a place here too.

This was a magic day on my first trip to Myanmar: all day on a fast ferry (water-jet propulsion) from Mandalay to Pagan on Ayarwaddy River. Downstairs was for local travel; upstairs was for tourists (wicker chairs, potted palms, snacks/meals and a bar). Here is a typical stop: we just pulled in at the riverbank, and were met by bullock carts and pedicabs. I have been back, and done an extended voyage during lower water.

Roderick B Smith
retired editor

870924Th Mandalay - Pagan (Ayerwaddy River, Myanmar). R Smith.

More
8 years 10 months ago #128963 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Taxis - Pakistan
I made this for two other groups, so sharing here spreads the benefits. It is 1989: older than 25, but not yet 35. I am placing with modern buses and with taxis. I can't identify any vehicle, but I doubt that Pakistan would be buying Tata from India. An earlier photo showed an Isuzu.
This is a small crop from a slide taken in low light. This portion of the street is closed every night. Urban buses park up, and drivers sleep in open air folding wooden bunks, set out by a bedwallah, also supplying bedding. He supplies a service; they get a bed at a cheaper rate than renting a flat. Food is bought from vendors, and ablutions are at kerbside pumps.

Roderick B Smith
retired editor

890122Su Karachi (Pakistan): Bus camp. (R Smith)

More
8 years 8 months ago #128964 by Roderick Smith
Luang Prabeng has a world-heritage listing. It is alongside Mekong River, a few hundred kilometres upstream from Vientiane. It is quite touristy. I had arrived by riverboat, on a 2 day voyage from further upriver. This large three-wheel taxi managed to fit ten passengers and luggage (much on the roof), but then some were offloaded to simplify the moves to different hotels.
150722W Luang Prabang (Laos): Large three-wheel taxi. (Roderick Smith)

Roderick

More
8 years 8 months ago #128965 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Re: Taxis
Thanks, Roderick,
Your input is much appreciated, Power cable configuration is interesting !!!!
Bob.

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.

More
8 years 7 months ago #128966 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Wheelchair taxi
Bourke St at Queen St (Melbourne, Vic.): Wheelchair taxi. Tues.7.10.03. (Jeff Bounds)
Were these converted from saloons (lengthened) or from wagons? What was the nature of the work needed?

Roderick

More
8 years 5 months ago #164144 by Roderick Smith
This was rather an expensive mistake on my part: a bus link was available via a suburban station, and I still missed the late-morning sailing to Denmark, and was on the early-afternoon one.
151016F Rostock (Germany): Mercedes taxi. R Smith.

Roderick

[img

More
8 years 3 months ago #165354 by Roderick Smith
131114Th Elizabeth St at Macquarie St (Hobart, Tas., GPO): Nostalgic Kodak sign, buses and a Toyota Prius taxi. (Jeff Bounds).

Roderick
[img

More
8 years 3 months ago #165683 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Taxis in Spain
760103Sa Valencia (Spain): Four taxis lhs. R Smith.
I suspect that the four are Seat 1500s (based on the Seat-Fiat collaboration). I have also been on a Seat taxi in Switzerland: cross-country on ice at 100 km/h on studded tyres, on a surface on which I wouldn't exceed 30 km/h with chains when heading to Australia's snowfields.
See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAT , with links to most models.
You get the rhs private vehicles too, as the one print was prepared for three groups.

Roderick

[img

More
8 years 3 months ago #165744 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Taxis
151010Sa Sarajevo (Bosnia): BMW taxi. (Roderick Smith)
Roderick
[img

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds