6 years 8 months ago #185603 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Taxis
170213M Melbourne Herald Sun - taxis.
Roderick.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186147 by Roderick Smith
170519F Istanbul (Turkey) taxis. R Smith.
Like most thinks modern, I can't tell the make or model; they all look the same.

Roderick.
Attachments:

More
5 years 11 months ago #193377 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Checker in Melbourne
180421Sa Melbourne 'Herald Sun' - Checker taxi, trams.
Roderick.
Attachments:

More
5 years 10 months ago #193914 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Taxis, 1985
180528M Metro Twitter 1985 streetscape, Holden taxis.
This is a clip from a video, describing the construction of Melbourne's underground rail loop.
<Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration>
Roderick

Attachments:

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #194023 by Roderick Smith
180527Su Metro Twitter - ~1940s. Melbourne -Flinders St.
The cars are late 1930s or 1940s, and no Holden taxi yet.
If that is a Ford Prefect ute, the date is from 1946 (Australian production dated from 1938, but the ute was from 1946).
Roderick
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: Fix the incomplete attachment.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194025 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Taxis
Rod

The ute looks like a 39 Chev or Dodge.

Lang

More
5 years 10 months ago #194029 by Thunder Down Under
Replied by Thunder Down Under on topic Taxis
Vauxhall?

TDU

More
5 years 10 months ago #194039 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Taxis
Comparing its size to the car in front, it's a small one. I can't see it well enough, but there were also little Bedfords around. (I imagine similar to the afore mentioned Vauxhall)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #194041 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Taxis
Jarrod

I was not smart enough to compare it with the car. Too small for Chev or Dodge.

I think you are on the money with Bedford.

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194071 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.
Going yellow was the one good outcome from the Kennett government.
Since then one company provided a pink fleet to carry only women.

Melbourne’s biggest taxi operator dumps yellow cabs June 7, 2018.
video: Melbourne taxi drivers protest against UberX.
MELBOURNE’S biggest taxi operator, 13CABS, will dump its distinctive yellow cars.
The yellow cabs will be replaced with black, silver or white vehicles with orange livery.
The move signals the beginning of the end for the canary yellow vehicles which have been part of the city’s street landscape for more than two decades.
The company is rebranding to improve its service and to take on Uber which has stolen a big chunk of its market.
13CABS reveals its new taxi colours.
13CABS has more cars — 3800 — on the road in Melbourne than ever before.
The requirement for taxis to be yellow was removed after Allan Fels’ inquiry into the state’s taxi industry in 2014.
Jeff Kennett, who introduced the universal colour to cabs to Melbourne when premier in 1994, said he was not opposed to the change.
“What we had before has served us well though they are probably not as identifiable as the yellow cabs, especially for the elderly,’’ Mr Kennett said.
The company has recruited Paralympic gold medallist Dylan Alcott as an adviser on driver training for all passengers including those with a disability.
The yellow taxis have been part of Melbourne since 1994.
UBER CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN ABOUT PRICE, POOR SERVICE
It has also acquired other taxi companies in Sydney and Brisbane, leading to a national branding.
13CABS chief operating officer Stuart Overell said the new-look cabs would start rolling out from this month.
“We’ve still got a way to go to ensure all trips Australians take with us each year are perfect, but with the changes we’ve made, we’re already noticing vast improvements monitored by customer satisfaction,” he said.
THOUSANDS OF NEW TAXI DRIVERS BUYING LICENCES.
CAB FARES RISE AS DRIVERS PASS ON $1 LEVY.
< www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/melbo...33b949beb8c8308e7604 >
* The one good transport outcome from the Kennett government was to make all taxis yellow. Overseas, I rely on looking for the local distinctive colour.
* I guess everyone knows when you call .The call centre is now in South Africa. Would not ever go near a cab. Uber every day
* Don't they all want their cabs to stand out? I don't get why they don't want to be yellow?
* Most of the people driving Taxi's and Ubers are non Australians that come over here on Student Visa's. How on earth can they know our roads, let alone road law? Then to get around they need Google Maps for everything. So the eyes are on Google Maps and not on the road.
Taxi's, Ubers and the lot of them should be limited to Australian Citizens, who can speak English, got their licence in English, have experience behind the wheel (and not someone that got there license 5 years ago but has not owned a
car or driven in that time), and have them pass a Suburb, Major roads test.
Hygiene is a huge issue as too is the age and condition of Taxi's.
I'm not a taxi driver, nor have any affiliates when any, but perhaps owning a Taxi License may actually become more valuable.
* The reason the companies are dropping yellow cars is purely to save money as the cars had to be sprayed yellow in most cases at a cost over $2,000 each.
* If there was ONE thing Kennett did I agreed with it was making taxis be yellow ..... so much easier to see them when your looking when in high traffic areas etc ...
But I guess maybe it should be more stringently enforced that the drivers are actually licenced - speak English - KNOW the roads ... etc
* Competition fixes most things who have poor service and quality.
* Do you understand the article was about the colour of the cars?
* Never mind changing the colour of your cab. Changing your shirt everyday will have a much bigger impact on patronage.
* Too late, use Uber now.
* Do you guys understand the taxi drivers earn on average $8 an hour. Whom do you expect other than new Australians to work for that amount. Fare - 50% to the owner of the cab - GST - Tax - Insurance = very little salary for the
drivers. I would love the people complaining spend a week in the taxi drivers shoes.
* I would pay more for clean cars, safe and a driver who did not smell and knew his way to your destination.
* they don't have to do it if they don't want to Peter... freedom of choice!!
* failed to adapt to competition
* changing the colour of their driver pool might actually assist them to lift the level of service they provide.
* Black, yellow, blue, white or grey... makes no difference apart from the additional cost to licence holders. Get drivers who know what they are doing and who can speak English and who don't give off odours and that will make a difference irrespective of the colour of the car they drive,
* I don't think people care what colour a cab is Price, reliability and service are a little bit more important.
* Changing the colour will improve service? How? Maybe drivers who can speak English, have good personal hygiene & DON'T try & rip you off might be a good start hey?
* Is this the lot who are outsourcing their telephone operations to South Africa?
* Before the cabs were all yellow we had mixed fleets like the distinctive Silver Top Taxis and Yellow Cabs and the small local fleets once upon a time were all black cars.
* Yeah, changing the colour will fix everything.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds