Skip to main content

"New" diesel engine ????

More
6 years 3 months ago #190301 by jeffo
What do you reckon, Junkers, MAP, Rootes that's three I know of with opposed piston layout.
Is this for real or just some kiddies with a flash computer programme.

achatespower.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190306 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic "New" diesel engine ????
Sounds like the Australian engine that took only $10 worth of materials.........catch was the $10 was the cost of iron ore and bauxite.......took a bit of fiddling to make an engine out of that lot......Sarich??

More
6 years 3 months ago #190312 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic "New" diesel engine ????
Some time back a UK company started work on a small diesel aero engine, two cylinder horizontally opposed, twin crankshaft, supercharge plus turbo, all quite normal technology apart from modern fuel injection.
They were having emissions problems and this long before Euro 6.
Who'd have thought an aero engine would need to comply with emissions standards.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190320 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic "New" diesel engine ????
I must have missed something or misread it, or had my head you-know-where.
This basic design has been around for the best part of a hundred years, hasn't it?
Sure, modern technology has advanced in leaps and bounds in that time, but a "new" idea? Don't think so.
Speaking of advancing technology, going back not all that many years ago, you had your average truck engine running at 2100RPM, driving through a multi-speed transmission, "drive em like you hate em" could well have been the catch cry.
New ideas came in, make 1500-1600RPM the norm, gear em up a bit and run them on the speed limiter to achieve projected road speeds, timetables and economy, engine reliability and longevity should follow.
But to me, it is the "small" diesel that has really advanced to a mindblowing degree, modern materials with all the accompanying attachments have made it virtually unrecognizable to it's elder predecessor. I read here about a Perkins 4/99, actually had one of those all those years ago, came out of a Commer van with a Hillman/Humber box behind it. Put it in a Karrier Bantam (surprise!). Full RPM was set at, again from memory, 2300RPM.
Read recently on an overseas forum where a joint venture between Peugeot and Seat were tinkering with a 1.6 litre, aftercooled, variable timing and turbo charged diesel, running at 5000RPM ! Apparently, they are designing it around a car, keeping the same basic components between diesel and petrol versions, obviously for cost efficiency.
5000RPM out of a diesel engine? Thought that only happened to screamers when they run over the governor or got away, just before they exploded!
How times change.
Dave

More
6 years 3 months ago #190332 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic "New" diesel engine ????
Dave the high rpm engines are usually 4-potters. Once designers fitted twin balance shafts to the 4-cylinder engine they seemed happy to rev without shaking the whole show to bits.
The torque numbers from these baby engines is also impressive. Out of the box most will outshine an old school 673 Mack or 680 Leyland and once tuners get at them, the torque goes through the roof.
Not sure how long they'll hang together though.
Talk to any of the grey nomads towing a decent van and it's all about cubes, typically a V8 Cruiser and lately the Cummins or GM powered big US utes.
Sure your 4-potter will do around 9L/100 as a car but once you tow that goes way up. Add some high ambient temps and they'll be drinking 18-20L per 100.
Your V8 Cruiser might drink 15-16 as a car but still only around 18 towing anything, with power to burn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 3 months ago #190414 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic "New" diesel engine ????
my wife drives an I30 diesel tourer. 1.6 litre,turbo, 6 speed auto. Real life fuel consumption is around 6.5 litres/100km (with better economy on a run) it will rev to 5500 before changing if you put the foot to the floor

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds