Skip to main content

NSW hay carting

More
5 years 7 months ago #195385 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic NSW hay carting
Hi All
Some interesting observations in the above,haveing sat on drought comitees and dairy state council and discussed various options and possible solutions to what seems to becoming a more common than not problem these are a few thoughts
Most farmers because of poor returns rightly or wrongly are stocked to the limit verging on overstocked in good seasons which leaves little room to build reserves of feed then when it starts to get dry hang on and don’t start selling down soon enough you know same old story change coming next week a good fallof rain and we’ll be right
Paul your fifties farm books need updating my son recons when we finish silage and hay making he wants two YEARS feed stored which we have managed to achieve the last ten or so years which is just as well this time in a 28inch rainfall area 18 months ago cyclone Debbie gave us 41/2 inches which was the best rain we had had in the six months prievous since then we’ve had 12 inches starting to make a fair hole in the feed stocks
Lang have always gone in real hard arguing with government for help for small businesses and service providers in country areas but that’s always fallen on deaf ears I suppose they think if the farmers get help their at the bottom of th heap so they’ll spend ALL THAT MONEY THAT WE THROW AT THEM in town
Not so sure about freight rates going up seems as soon as freight subsidy goes on fodder some not all seem to charge extra probably only charging what the going rate should be

The biggest concern at the moment is where the feed is going to come from not what the cost is by all accounts there is bugger all to no hay left in SA andVIC and have heard one report of hay from Perth to Parkes as a lot of you blokes know long bloody paddock to haul that over

As you said Paul if you can get out and about and offer even a bit of moral support and spend a bit of your hard earned in the smaller centres it all helps and don’t buy that sh!tty $1.00 a litre milk that those other rip off merchants sell all the money they’re giving to drought aid isn’t half of what they have ripped out of the rural sector over the years

Just a few of my thoughts I’ll climb down off my soapbox now I don’t want to be like you Lang and fall it hurts to much and I don’t bounce like l used to

Bluey
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #195386 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic NSW hay carting
One thing about all this is the apparent complete lack of recognition of the fact drought and rain are as certain as the sun coming up. Every few years long before the aboriginals arrived there has been a wet/dry cycle. The Chinese have very accurate records going back 2,000 years and Australia has similar going back 200 years. There have been many dry periods in Australia, in our lifetime, much longer than the current situation, memories are short.

Many people work to highs and lows (tourist operators, ski fields, retailers, builders etc) according to seasons and plan their businesses accordingly. Cyclones wipe out entire tourist areas and if it is unseasonably hot, wet or cold, fashions change or the economy is bad the people don't come, buy or build. I just get the feeling many farmers believe good seasons are normal, over commit themselves and lack planning when the inevitable dry season happens instead of working to the average. There are a lot of grasshoppers out there doing it hard but the ants are surviving much better.

Unfortunately, because many (most?) farms are hereditary there are people who know a lot about cattle or wheat but are totally incompetent business managers. Working hard and doing your best just does not cut it when the bank forecloses on your badly run hamburger shop, why should farm businesses be any different? They both are family tragedies.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 7 months ago #195387 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic NSW hay carting
What was the old saying " Farmers buy at retail , sell at wholesale , and pay the freight both ways "
I'm fighting drought here , No feed , no water , and totally overrun with kangaroos ! But that's life on the land.
Still make time for my hobby of shitty old trucks (sometimes )

More
5 years 7 months ago #195388 by Lang
Steve

Hope you manage to keep your head up. I am sure you will.

Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago #195389 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic NSW hay carting
Never been a drought that hasn't broken Lang , just sometimes a long way between drinks !!

More
5 years 7 months ago #195390 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic NSW hay carting
Bluey60
This maybe what you heard of
Cheers Steve
thewest.com.au/news/regional/wa-hay-conv...en-nsw-ng-b88926225z

More
5 years 7 months ago #195394 by Lang
Steve

Just remember not to drink it all but to put a few bottles in the back of the fridge when the drinks arrive to tide you over the next dry spell.

Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago #195396 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic NSW hay carting
Anyone lucky enough to have any sort of highway frontage is on the tourism bandwagon, and good on them.
We all know the big names, El Questro etc but go a bit further and there's dozens opening their doors to tourists. Quick cash $$ which might be enough to sustain them during the dry season and happily that coincides with the tourist season.
Home Valley Station, what a gem. Keep on the road to Ellenbrae, Drysdale River Station, Mt Elizabeth Station, Mt Barnett Roadhouse/Manning Gorge, Napier Downs, Birdwood Downs and that's just some along the Gibb.
The Savannah Way in Qld is a similar story with landowners spending $$ on tourist infrastructure and reaping the benefits. Family businesses in most cases with youngsters returning from school to drive the tourist cattle trucks or helicopter flights.
But not all property owners are so fortunate.

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds