Skip to main content

Sometimes Sayings.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #231478 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Charlie Drake in about 1965. How times have changed.

Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #231480 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Ah!
"The Worker"
The Poms do it so well!

Like a lot of the early Ealing movies, masters of the understatement!
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Dave_64.

More
2 years 1 month ago #231481 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Hello my darlings. :lol:

More
2 years 1 month ago #231538 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision.

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231540 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Sometimes Sayings.
"Don't worry about those who talk behind your back... They're Behind You For A Reason."

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231727 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Back in the 1970's I corresponded with an old guy in Virginia USA. He told me this story and I am sure it is true. He wrote:-
On Saturday 21 October 1933, I was driving my 1929 Chevrolet at about 45 MPH (too fast) on a dirt road when I pulled out to pass a car stopped on the side of the road. Next instant I was looking straight at a telegraph pole and turning the wheel like crazy. Next, car flipped over and I was floating around inside with arms outstretched but not able to touch anything, or that is the way I remember it. Car jumped from wheels onto top and then back onto wheels. A boy from the other car said "I know he's dead." About that time I got out of car whistling. He said he could have killed me then, himself. I got back into driver's door and the amazing thing was I only had a bruises and did not know until next day that I was hurt at all. The most unbelievable thing was that the back seat was in the front and all the tools from under the front seat had gone. The front seat cushion had turned end for end and we had to take it out of the car to turn it around. The front corner of the body took most of the impact and the windscreen would not close but the glass did not break. Two pieces of the wood-rimmed steering wheel and two pieces of the metal spider of the steering wheel broke and I have that broken wheel in my closet to this day. I have used it as a tie rack for 47 years. When the car stopped, the left rear tyre that was so worn that the canvas showed through, had blown out. We never knew whether the blowout caused the accident or vice-versa.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231831 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Sometimes Sayings.
The Darwins are out!

Here is the glorious winner:

1. When his 38 caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up inLong Beach , California would-be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder. He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked.

2. The chef at a hotel in Switzerland lost a finger in a meat cutting machine and after a little shopping around, submitted a claim to his insurance company. The company expecting negligence sent out one of its men to have a look for himself. He tried the machine and he also lost a finger.. The chef's claim was approved.

3. A man who shoveled snow for an hour to clear a space for his car during a blizzard in Chicago returned with his vehicle to find a woman had taken the space. Understandably, he shot her.

4. After stopping for drinks at an illegal bar, a Zimbabwean bus driver found that the 20 mental patients he was supposed to be transporting from Harare to Bulawayo had escaped. Not wanting to admit his incompetence, the driver went to a nearby bus stop and offered everyone waiting there a free ride. He then delivered the passengers to the mental hospital, telling the staff that the patients were very excitable and prone to bizarre fantasies.. The deception wasn't discovered for 3 days.

5. An American teenager was in the hospital recovering from serious head wounds received from an oncoming train. When asked how he received the injuries, the lad told police that he was simply trying to see how close he could get his head to a moving train before he was hit.

6. A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, put a $20 bill on the counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer... $15 , which begs the question: If someone points a gun at you and gives you money, is a crime committed?

7. Seems an Arkansas guy wanted some beer pretty badly.. He decided that he'd just throw a cinder block through a liquor store window, grab some booze, and run. So he lifted the cinder block and heaved it over his head at the window. The cinder block bounced back and hit the would-be thief on the head, knocking him unconscious. The liquor store window was made of Plexiglas. The whole event was caught on videotape.

8. As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the woman was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within minutes, the police apprehended the snatcher. They put him in the car and drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, "Yes, officer, that's her. That's the lady I stole the purse from."

9.. The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King inYpsilanti , Michigan at 5 A.M., flashed a gun, and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast... The man, frustrated, walked away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]

10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street by sucking on a hose, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with friends and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are distant and hope they remain lost.
I wonder if number four was Overlander. :whistle: :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH, Southbound, PDU

More
2 years 1 month ago #231858 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Sometimes Sayings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231860 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Sometimes Sayings.
V8Ian, I was just having some grub reading your post and NO it was not me in Zimbabwe. But I can understand that to happen. I've read a couple of those Darwin Awards books and there are some right doozies on how some people topped themselves like the fella in No 1. A bloke shouldn't have laughed but I couldn't help myself. I find it easy to laugh at other people's misfortune- you'd see a lot of it on free to air TV like that show Funniest Home Videos and another one from way back then was People are Funny. Probably be classed as bullying these days but some reality TV shows get the tick of approval when it comes to that. Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, V8Ian

More
2 years 1 month ago #231896 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Sometimes Sayings.
I caught up with a bloke I used to know at our school reunion recently. I discovered he was worth around $4 million, and he told me the amazing story of how he got so rich.

Basically, when he left school he had little or no formal qualifications, but he was good with his hands and he knew how to sell.

He knew he was never going to make it in an office job, so it was nose to the grindstone time. He left school at 15 and bought an old 4WD and spent a few weeks fixing it up, he then sold it for profit. He then used the money to buy another and so on. He did this a lot over the next 35 years, buying, repairing, selling, buying again.

He eventually moved onto newer models and then onto top of the range 4WDs in the last few years. Even during the really bad times he plugged away. He worked long hours, sometimes not seeing his wife and kids for days in pursuit of his goal.

Then his uncle died and left him $4 million.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, cobbadog, Dave_64, eerfree, Inter-Action, Normanby, overlander, PaulFH, V8Ian, wee-allis and 2 other people also said thanks.

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds