Skip to main content

Truck Accident Statistics

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #199792 by Lang
Latest from the Insurance Council of Australia,

Heavy Truck Involvement
Heavy truck accidents cause considerable more damage than normal vehicle accidents. Contributing factors are the time it takes trucks to respond to unexpected road conditions because of their total weight. It takes a truck considerably more time to slow down and stop than it does for a regular vehicle.

Over 80% of crashes with heavy truck involvement are classified as multiple vehicle and only 10% are counted as single vehicle incidents. Comparing this to the statistic that 45% of non-truck involved road crashes are classified as single vehicle, reveals that truck drivers are much less likely to crash on their own than normal car drivers. 15% of all road crash fatalities and 4% of all road crash injuries involve heavy trucks, but only 20% of those crashes are attributed as the truck driver’s fault, demonstrating that on average truck drivers are safer drivers than other vehicle drivers.

Here are the full detailed statistics from the Federal Government. Down the bottom there are links to the last 5 years for comparison.

bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoing/road-t...-heavy-vehicles.aspx

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Mrsmackpaul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #199807 by Southbound
And if you factor in the amount of kilometres truck drivers do compared with other road users the odds are in truck drivers favour.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Southbound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds