Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Talisman Sabre 2019

Talisman Sabre 2019 11 Jul 2019 10:00 #201633

• jeffo
  • jeffo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 49
One trouble with living in a town on the Bruce highway is when the lads have a bit of an operation.
Usually they turn off and head to Tin Can but these exercises are up at Shoalwater.
The new MAN gear has no trouble maintaining good highway speeds. Even the old Macks and S-Lines can get up and boogie. I was surprised at the poor performance of the Bushmasters once on the hills.
Last exercise I was heading South and got stuck in a convoy of the most gutless things I've ever see. Some 6wd tiny thing from NZ, each towing a trailer'2 2000 trailer and flat to the boards at 60kph, nose to tail.
This time I passed them heading North, luckily on the 110 freeway.
They were almost in low range getting up the big hill at Cooroy, not the smartest when traffic is approaching their clackers at 110. And so skinny they could have driven out in the guide posts but no, only the left lane for them.
Why don't they float this junk to site? I've seen all sorts of gear floated on private and defence force floats, the biggest gun I've ever seen went through town on a private tri axle semi the other day.
They must be realistic exercises, 4-Defence force floats in the South bound truck bay all with bashed up Bushmasters on the back.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Talisman Sabre 2019 15 Jul 2019 20:05 #201730

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 1036
The NZ trucks are Pinzgauers (the big brother to Haflingers). Very capable off road but very technical and only light load carriers.

We have one in our truck club and the owner and his wife have to wear aircraft headsets and intercom to hear each other!

If they have the earlier model 90hp is WW2 type power for a 6x6 and I think the factory claim of 100kph is a figment of their imagination. The current model is 145hp which should punch those little blokes along pretty well.

Lang

www.army-technology.com/projects/pinzgauerallterrainl/

Last edit: by Lang.

Talisman Sabre 2019 21 Jul 2019 15:02 #201898

• jeffo
  • jeffo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 49
A friend had a Haflinger, bought it new donkey's years ago.
Fell in love with its diff locks etc which were pretty flash back then. Has all the options, removable everything.
Short overhangs meant it could climb a brick wall.
But no power, think it's a two cylinder engine? He'd tow a boat and with wife and kids aboard, head off to Fraser for school holidays. Must have been dreadful.
He's 6'6" and about 20 stone.
Car was sitting under his house for at least 20 years, no idea whether he kept it or not.

Talisman Sabre 2019 21 Jul 2019 15:57 #201900

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 1036
The Haflinger is named after a horse which has the proportions of a heavy horse but is quite small.

The Pinzgauer is a true heavy horse. Both Austrian breeds.

Attachments:

Talisman Sabre 2019 21 Jul 2019 20:57 #201910

• allan
  • Thank you received: 27
Seem to remember perhaps 30 years ago seeing an article about a Haflinger repowered with a Mazda donk, maybe a rotary but not sure about that? (Rear- engined from what I recall.)
And someone around Jamieson way being involved with Haflinger & Pinzgauer? Saw a Pinzgauer in Eildon vicinity only a month ago.

Last edit: by allan.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558