Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FA18

FA18 01 Aug 2019 15:15 #202152

• jeffo
  • jeffo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 50
Just had two FA18's fly over very, very low. Fark they're noisy, reckon the chooks will be off the lay for a while.
Not as low as when the Warbirds fly through on the way to Bundaberg air shows but would be a hell of a lot faster.
When the boys were having games at Tin Can we'd get Carabou and choppers fly extremely low on the way through. Would wave at the lads sitting on the loading ramp, close enough.
Warbirds you can clearly see the pilot, they usually do some loops etc over the farm.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FA18 01 Aug 2019 16:55 #202155

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 338
Living on the mid north coast near Taree the boys from Williamstown often fly up the coast and practice low level flying and do a mock attack on Cape Hawke. Now when you are driving along the road here and they go over the top of you it is scarey. One time I was on Crowdy Head beach about half way to Diamond Head and a Caribou slowly slowly crawled over head. The pilot was hanging out the window with his arm and waved. My thought was how the #$%^ was that thing staying in the air.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette

FA18 01 Aug 2019 19:05 #202159

• jeffo
Yes back in 1990 we were sailing outside Shoalwater bay heading for Island Head Creek.
Didn't have HF and the notices to mariners didn't transmit on UHF so we were passing a restricted area along with a few other yachties.
US pilots flew from their carrier over the horizon right down at mast height, that was scary stuff.
Helicopter flew above us with a big sign saying laser guided bombs in use, do not look at the laser beam ???
Anyway these jets would go from sea level to straight vertical , release the bomb on the way and roll upside down and head back out to sea. Bloody impressive stuff.
The bomb was guided to target by the troops secreted onshore. Only practise bombs but still made a lot of dust when they hit the targets.
Every time a jet flew over the boat, our cat went mental, hanging from the ceiling carpet.
One boat got dragged out from Shoalwater behind a landing craft, definitely not wanting visitors.

FA18 02 Aug 2019 06:49 #202166

• roKWiz
  • Thank you received: 155
Not that long ago my partner and I had a permit to mountain bike ride in the Hunter Water catchment area, which extents from Raymond Terrace to Lemon Tree Passage. We were allowed to ride down behind the airport an bombing range only if they weren't practicing.
One day with an extra mate we encountered the red flags flying signalling to us the range was a no go (apart from seeing the FA18 screaming in) but we decided to ride up to the century and see, we explained how we want to show a mate Lemon Tree Passage so the guard gets on the radio, we can hear him talking to the control tower which kindly replies " Oh you can send them through and we'll divert the planes out to see for 10 mins" We were instructed to ride through without stopping until we see the guard at the other side. We thanked them very much and as we left the second guard the planes started coming straight back in.
Discussing what had happened we thought geeze this could only happen in Oz.
Staying at Stockton beach we regularly see the planes following the coastline at low attitude.
So amazing to watch.
Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Last edit: by roKWiz.

FA18 02 Aug 2019 21:51 #202196

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 338
Stockton Beach caravan park is ine of the few escape places we go to and Fighter World there is a real gem. The volunteers come and get you or call out to you when some of the planes are about to do a fly pass and land. Fridays are always the best day as that is when any planes that have been away on a mission or a local sorte come back home. To stand on the observation deck of the building and see a sqadron do a low level run along the runway then buzz out to sea, chuck a right hand turn and come back over Nobbys Beach and up the Hunter River to Raymond Terrace and then land is simply amazing.
One time a few of the pilots came back to the Fighter World building for a cuppa nad a sandwhich. Looking at these guys who looked like it wont be until next year that they will start to shave are in command of a fighter plane worth God knows how much is not scarey until you think what trouble you were causing in society at the same age and lucky not to be caught and locked up.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette

The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

FA18 03 Aug 2019 07:34 #202202

• jeffo
That's so true cobba.
Went on some R44 helicopter flights around the Kimberley.
Mrs commented on the age of the youngsters driving these things, guess most would be station boys logging hours but don't think many had to shave every day.
Girls driving as well.
Good on em all.

FA18 03 Aug 2019 08:17 #202203

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 108
Yes, the pilots are certainly young men.
I saw a documentary a few years ago about USA Aircraft Carriers and the Aircrews. The US Navy spokesman said that by the time a top pilot has reached the age of 26, his reflexes have slowed tool much to be trusted with state-of-the-art jet planes landing on an aircraft carrier.

Not much has changed. At the age of 19, my Father flew new bombers from where they were assembled in Canada to England and flew in the battle of Britain at the age of 19 or 20.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

FA18 03 Aug 2019 09:04 #202205

• jeffo
Bob Hoover and a few other geriatrics would have been the exceptions.

FA18 03 Aug 2019 10:38 #202206

• roKWiz
  • Thank you received: 155
Van Halen Dreams, still one of the best music videos featuring the Blue Angels. Particularly at the very end as they land together.

https://youtu.be/d5PqVeex4QU
Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, eerfree

Last edit: by roKWiz.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558