Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
2 years 4 months ago #229480 by cobbadog
Well the 'Gumnut' are about to loose a lot of money from fuel taxes as we wont be able to transport things with no Adblue. They are going to loose one way or the other.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229486 by Mrsmackpaul
The government have already said they will have a distance travelled type of tax to cover the loss of fuel excise

I personally dont think the battery change over thing will take off, more likely just swap prime movers and drivers as needed

Will probably find solar farms and wind farms that transport companies own at these points so the effect on the grid wont be as huge as we might think

Also with people putting batteries on their houses and having electrics that can feed back into the grid, could this mean the end of black outs on the grid as we know it

It certainly is a changing world and to be informed a little might not be a bad thing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229490 by JOHN.K.
In England ,every new house must have a car charging connection......dunno how high rise is treated.......hundreds of charge points in the basement car park?

More
2 years 4 months ago #229500 by Morris
Cobbadog said that (the natives in Darwin call it the "Gubby") will lose a lot of money. Yes they will. More than half the price you pay for petrol is tax. They even add GST to the excise tax, a tax on a tax. I am not sure of the amount of tax on diesel.

Mrsmackpaul mentioned houses with solar batteries. Here is an example of how little I know. Three years ago, my Wife and I bought a little house. The agent made a big deal about the twelve solar panels on the roof. I said in my ignorance, that will save us in the case of a power cut because it is an all electric house. The owner told me that you cannot use the electricity you make unless you have a rectifier (or something) and a bank of batteries all of which will cost over $1000. When we DID have a power outage during a storm, my Mother-in-law's Husband (not my Father-in-law, he died ten years ago) said, just go out in the storm and dig a hole in the lawn and light a fire to cook your food.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago #232213 by Mrsmackpaul
Came across this the other day and thought it might be of interest, so I have copied and pasted the article here

Here is a link to the article to keep the moderators happy cleantechnica.com/2022/02/16/heavy-duty-...n-rolls-forward/amp/

Have a read and dont shoot the messenger

Paul

Clean Transport
Heavy Duty Electric Trucks In Sweden & Denmark: The EV Revolution Rolls Forward
Heavy duty electric trucks from Volvo and Scania are now available to handle the toughest tasks in transportation.

BySteve Hanley
Published2 days ago‌
The EV revolution is rolling forward and it’s not waiting for stragglers. Yesterday, we featured a report from Fraunhofer ISI that explains why those waiting for hydrogen to become a fuel source for cars and trucks are bound to be disappointed. That report did admit there could be some justification for hydrogen in heavy trucks that travel long distances or haul especially heavy loads, but today comes word that battery-electric trucks are beginning to infiltrate those parts of the transportation spectrum as well.
Heavy Duty Electric Trucks From Scania In Sweden
Scania is a manufacturer of heavy duty trucks. It is part of Traton, which in turn is owned by Volkswagen Group. MAN is also part of Traton. According to Electrive, Scania is working on battery-electric trucks that are longer and heavier than EU standards. The custom-made products are being developed together with three customers in Sweden. The first example is already in service with Swedish chemical supplier Wibax. Two more giant electric trucks will be delivered this year to SCA and Jula Logistics.

Scania emphasizes that the three electric trucks are not regular production models, but rather individual items that have been “realized together with various partners and through in-depth analysis.” The development is being carried out in close coordination with the customers. “We simulate the transport flows and deliver the trucks with the most suitable combination of components for the respective transport order — both in terms of the vehicle and the load regards. We really see the vehicles as a complete solution.”

The tractor for Wibax travels an 80 kilometer route between Piteå and Skellefteå. Scania says it weighs 10.8 tons — about 1.5 tons more than a diesel-powered equivalent. The increase in weight is due primarily to the 300 kWh battery pack. At the present time, the battery is recharged using a 150 kW charger, but increases in charging power are coming in the future.
“Since our founding in 1986, we have made every effort to be sustainable, and as we have identified transport as our biggest environmental impact, this electric truck is a step that ensures that we can continue our operations with respect for the climate. During the lifetime of this truck, Wibax will reduce CO2 emissions by up to 1,400 tons, making it a real game changer,” says Jonas Wiklund, CEO of the Wibax Group.

For Scania, it is the first electric 64-ton truck to go into service. “The key to achieving zero emissions in transport is electrification, and we will achieve this goal together with customers and other stakeholders who share our values,” says Fredrik Allard, Head of E-Mobility at Scania. “Partnerships like this, where we show early on what’s possible, are a clear sign of the change of pace we need to go fossil-free and meet the goals of the Paris Agreement.”

Together with SCA and the Skogforsk research institute, Scania is working on an electric timber transporter that will ensure a permissible total weight of up to 64 tons on public roads and 80 tons on private roads. The vehicle is scheduled to arrive in the Swedish region of Västerbotten later this year, where it will transport wood between the SCA terminal in Gimonäs and the paper mill in Obbola near Umeå.
“Working with Scania is an important way for us to find innovative solutions for sustainable transport together. Electric logging trucks will make an important contribution to SCA’s sustainability work,” says Hans Djurberg, the head of sustainability at SCA. “If we use just one electric truck between Gimonäs and Obbola, we can reduce our carbon emissions by around 55,000 kilograms per year.”

Scania manager Allard adds that timber transport in particular has always been described as a sector that may never be electrified. “The developments of the last few years and what we are now presenting with SCA show how quickly things are progressing both with vehicles and with batteries.” Charging infrastructure for such heavy duty trucks will be crucial to allowing them to gain wide acceptance.

Electric Cement Mixers From Volvo Trucks In Denmark

The Danish concrete manufacturer Unicon has ordered 11 Volvo FM Electric trucks from Volvo Trucks, which will be converted into concrete mixers and used in Denmark, Electrivereports. The two companies will work together to develop customized electric truck solutions for the concrete industry.

The 11 converted FM Electric trucks will be delivered by the end of this year. The FM Electric is the largest model that Volvo Trucks makes. It has a gross weight of up to 44 tons and can be configured with many different numbers of axles and battery packs that range between 450 kWh and 540 kWh.

“With this major order and ambitious collaboration agreement, we are putting tangible actions behind our CO2 emission targets for our distribution,” says Christian Elleby, procurement director at Unicon. “With the new electric truck mixers, we are ready to support the requirements for emission-free construction sites in Denmark, which we see from the City of Copenhagen, as well as an increasing number of contractors and builders.”

Unicon is the largest producer and supplier of ready-mixed concrete in Denmark. It employs more than 400 people in 35 factories. Annual production is around one million cubic meters, transported to construction sites by 195 trucks. It plans for all its trucks to be zero emissions vehicles by 2035.

“With these agreements, we are taking important steps in expanding fossil-free distribution solutions to the concrete industry, where electrification of heavy vehicles has been a very difficult challenge due to the heavy loads and continuous mixing demands,” said Peter Ericson, managing director of Volvo Trucks in Denmark. “We expect a lot of learning and development as a result of the collaboration for the benefit of an entire industry.”

The Takeaway
Snorting diesels are the backbone of commerce — and a major source of carbon emissions, fine particulates, and oxides of nitrogen. The former are killing the planet. The latter are killing us. News that electric trucks are beginning to come available that are capable of handling some of the toughest tasks in transportation should be welcome news to anyone who thinks a sustainable planet is a good idea.

More
2 years 2 months ago #232214 by Mrsmackpaul

Paul

More
2 years 2 months ago #232219 by PaulFH
Sooner than I thought, we better start saving up for one Paul!

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #232223 by Lang
Here is Boris' announcement on electric charging. Sounds great except the electric delivery structure can not meet the supply demands at the moment. Charging a car is a bit more than making a cup of tea. The authorities are scrambling to figure out how they are going to replace the entire country's powerlines with every little street having to get industrial estate capacity.

I am sure they will figure it out but it seems they are starting with the answer without knowing the values of x and y in the problem.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-gove...ave-ev-chargers-2022
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 2 months ago #232228 by Mrsmackpaul

. Sounds great except the electric delivery structure can not meet the supply demands at the moment. Charging a car is a bit more than making a cup of tea. The authorities are scrambling to figure out how they are going to replace the entire country's powerlines with every little street having to get industrial estate capacity.

As I have tried to explain before, what your saying isnt correct by a long shot, the powers that be have already established and proven that in most developed countries thru use of smart charging the existing grid has enough capacity and the electric cars will actually reduce grid load in most situations

I know this is hard to understand or even comprehend

Smart charging involves ev,s talking to the grid network and charging when there is surplus and returning power to the grid when there is a shortage of power

As has been pointed out before on here "so the grid takes the power then the battery is flat when I wont to go to work" or words to that effect

These new ev's are very smart vehicles and learn what we do just like Google learns what we search for, so the cars are going to know how much charge we are going to need to achieve what we want to achive the next day

But your thinking to your self, what if I wanna drive 500km up the road the next day instead of just 50 km, well if you are like most people I know today we jump on our phone in the days leading up to the big trip and start check what times the Prices truck wreckers at Dalby are gunna be open etc, so our ev starts to learn that are planning a trip and knows to where and starts to keep a higher charge level

Or maybe you might say "stuff you telephone, Im going old school and using my grey matter and road signs to get me there"

Thats fine as well, even at 80% charge level most evs today have more distance than we want to drive in one stretch

Or perhaps it will be, I dont want that stinking rotten power company using my car and battery for their line the thieving crooks, that will also be catered for by just putting you on a different power tariff so you only ever have your ev fully charged at 100% and never discharge back thru the grid

All I am saying is these things have all been thought of and answers have been worked out

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #232229 by Lang
Paul

I don't know but my comments on the capacity of the existing grid came from a flurry of UK articles from supposedly expert opinion from people in the industry after Boris' press release. There is no doubt much of the existing grid is at capacity quite often and the electric companies are constantly load shedding and load sharing to redirect the power smoothly to the places demanding it - just part of normal operations and nothing to get excited about.

They may be smart cars but we are talking about the total use of energy. We have an existing electric system that is only just adequate to meet our electric energy needs through all the peaks and troughs of demand. We are talking about loading that system with a vast extra demand that is now being met by fossil fuels. No matter how smart the cars are, at some time or place in the system the existing wires have to transport that massive increase in demand. We are not talking about a few Tesla or other tiny volume electric vehicles on the road as at present but transferring the energy requirements of tens of millions of cars to the power grid - inside 8 years for many countries.

I am not saying that we can not do it or electric cars are bad but I very strongly believe the rhetoric has far outstripped fact. We will be driving electric vehicles as the majority in the next 10 or 15 years possibly less. The power will be supplied "from somewhere" but it will be at a greater cost in both time and money that many think.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.654 seconds