Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 3 months ago #205187 by Swishy

https://contestimg.wish.com/api/webimage/5b27448c0980ed42b7d6bb09-large.jpg?cache_buster=43298f29ab7ed7ad315434a7b3747839

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205328 by wee-allis
The latest instruction from the NRMA to tow operators; before towing or winching a Tesla electric vehicle, you MUST disconnect the drive motors so as not to damage the rest of the electronics.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205347 by cobbadog
Easier to set them on fire first then no worries mate.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205372 by JMR
How many people would have said the diesel or petrol motor lorry is just a fad and will never replace steam or the horses before it...

I have solar everything at home, pump from the river with solar,irrigate with solar, off grid power at the house and most of it was done on the cheap. when electric cars become mainstream i cant think of any good reason not to fill up from the sun personally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: invested energy

More
4 years 3 months ago #205377 by JOHN.K.
Dont think youll have to wait long....Chinese govt have put restrictions on domestic rego s,and cut subsidies ,and made 2020 the big year for EV exports .....and the new Tesla from China will be priced the same as other EVs with the same spec.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205380 by Morris
JMRamsey,
good on you for making the most of each opportunity.

I have solar panels on my house but cannot afford several thousand dollars for batteries that have a short lifespan, and a rectifier (or whatever) that would allow me to use the power generated on my own roof, so I have to accept the low "feed in" tariff offered by my electricity retailer. Unfortunately, some years ago our State Government decided to cash in by selling off the statewide electricity network that had been paid for by taxpayers over previous years.

For the past 18 years, I have lived in small towns in an area that has everything I want. The only disadvantage is an hour and a half drive to the suburbs to one truck club and one car club meeting per month. I would be very happy to use electric cars for these trips and also for the two hours each way trip collecting three mates on the way, to another truck club every second month. Apart for the exorbitant cost of electric cars, because of the distances, I would need (unless I wanted to stay overnight at a cost of more than $100 per night, so the car could be recharged to get me home) at least one extra car and a recharging facility in the suburbs and another near the country club meeting.

It is not likely to be feasible in my lifetime.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 3 months ago #205381 by Swishy
Morrie m80
Go Diesel (l8 model me happy with me hyundai i30 ( on my 2nd one))
U only need to fill up half as much az a petrol device
n eye kno where eyc can get fuel free LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 3 months ago #205384 by Morris
Thanks, swishy,
I have had a diesel van since 2007. Had 41,000k when we bought, now has 404,000. Goes well, better than 10 litres per 100k. Two disadvantages:-
1. Extra width is very handy but attracts dents from other people's doors when in car parks, even though we always look for widest parking spot.
2. Rides like a bullock dray when less than fully loaded. In twelve years we have only had it loaded to maximum capacity twice. Both interstate trips. We really should carry a tonne of bricks or concrete blocks just to get some comfort and just throw them out on the side of the road if we need the space.

Just had another thought:- I might ask Lang to bring back the electrickery motor from India and fill the back of the van with batteries.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 3 months ago #205400 by Mrsmackpaul
For the adventure seeking type of person

I do recall reading in old Truck and Bus magazines from at a guess the mid 70's about diesel conversions been done to HQ style Holdens etc
Even seen a picture on Faceless book of a Torana in NZ with a little Perkins

Now I am quite fond of Perkins motors but I reckon in todays worls a little Isuzu truck thats had a bingle would be the go for some running gear
Put the motor trans etc in your favorite car and bingo, you have a dirt cheap car to run around in thats comfy

Yes Im sure theres lot of problems to be encounted but I reckon it could be and the biggest challenge we would face is in our own heads with excuses

Just saying

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 3 months ago #205414 by asw120
One of my workmates used to work on the trolley buses in NZ way back. Using his knowledge and bits lying around at work he put some sort of motor from his work and a heap of batteries (which he definitely bought - he hated having to take all the hydrometer readings every month) in a Hillman Minx. This would have been early 80's.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.684 seconds