Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #233241 by wee-allis
We've got a 6.2kw 3 phase system on the shed and a 1.6kw single phase on the house. Both face due north. Prior to solar our place would burn just short of 24kw/hours per day. Tank water pumps, swimming pool filter, pool solar heater pump etc. We don't consciously save power, just use it as and when wanted, rather than needed.

On average our bills are less than half what they were prior to having the systems installed. Might add, the most profitable day I recorded generated 48.8 kw/hours from both systems on a good hot summer day.
Have contemplated batteries, just for power when the grid goes out, as in last bushfires.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by wee-allis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #233255 by Mrsmackpaul
I think battrey thing is a good deal if people have the disposable income to purchase it

Not so long ago I would of said people are better to pat their house off but with very low interest rates this might not be the case anymore

As with all things it would be a horses for courses type of deal

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 1 month ago #233432 by mammoth
Have been looking around getting quotes for solar and as grid supplier now limits some rural connections to piss all feed back our system will have to be designed to maximise self consumption so battery will be needed to achieve that. recently one of those really clever Aussies who advises American governments commented that batteries are more expensive than they needed to be due to government regulations and that kw for kw you could buy a Tesla 3 and get the car thrown in for free. The upshot being that payback period for batteries is still too long. Other thing happening is that in the last year the cost of panels has nearly doubled - because we gambled on China giving us cheap stuff forever.
Quotes have varied enormously from $40k down to $15k but still trying to get the cheap ones to match their spec and provide exclusions in writing to the dearer ones. The most expensive one was happy to put all the panels on east facing pitch and said perfect north facing unshaded shed 60 m away couldn't be done - so I know he is having a lend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 1 month ago #233448 by cobbadog
Our small array of solar panels when fitted sent the power to the grid for buy back. Wasn't bad in the beginning but soon the buy back money offered was an insult. Spoke to a local electrical mob who under no obligation or cost came out and spoke to us about our needs and uses.
He made a suggestion that we use this other meter that puts the generated powe straight into ou house and we use it at the poor buy back price which is still cheaper than buyin git at the normal rate. As both of us at that time were working fom home it worked well for us. Now working far less but probably still using just as much by playing with the toys it was a good decision to use what we generated but excess went to the grid. So dishwashe, washing machines and all that stuff gets sparked up during the sunny parts of the days.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 1 month ago #233453 by JOHN.K.
Id think air conditioning would be a good load for solar.....the woman down the back says she spends $800 a quarter on A/C on top of the rest of the power bill.........Ive been planning for a house down the back next to the new shed with 3 phase to both .....but everything seems to be against it.

More
2 years 1 month ago #233455 by Mrsmackpaul

but everything seems to be against it.

Against what John ? Building a house, putting solar on, putting solar with batteries on ?

The biggest problem with roof top solar is the grid, if for example you put a battery and panels on that generated enough solar to provide all your own requirements and sent the rest back into the grid you will never get paid for that power going into the grid and as such are virtually giving your excess power away

From my understanding the power just gets paid to you as a credit that you can never cash in

I understand if you had another electricity account else where you can sell it to that account but I guess the supply authority would still want a cut for using the power lines

Like all things it does pay to do your research before sticking your hand in your pocket I guess

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233465 by JOHN.K.
Building a house ....Id think the floods just made it even more difficult.................I will look into three phase solar for the shed ....but ATM,id say a diesel genset will be the solution.

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233482 by asw120
Paul, my next door neighbours are on the aged pension. They are frugal with power and they have solar. They get paid. I didn't ask if it was cheque, or direct deposit, but they get it.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233485 by V8Ian

Paul, my next door neighbours are on the aged pension. They are frugal with power and they have solar. They get paid. I didn't ask if it was cheque, or direct deposit, but they get it.

Jarrod.
A friend of mine is in a similar situation. Every quarter the the bill is credited. Once a year they apply to have the credit transferred to their bank and use the funds for a cruise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233493 by JOHN.K.
Those who got solar early on have good payment deals......if you get solar on now ,the payment is very much less ...............I also see claimed that EV s are in big demand and sell for more than new price secondhand..................but i think that applies to most cars due to the long waits for new cars.

Time to create page: 0.604 seconds