Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
4 years 2 months ago #205499 by mikeg
Will I need a current licence to drive an electric car?B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, cobbadog, Morris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 2 months ago #205502 by Swishy
M80
U may need these in the tool box

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmmNUTMdYhPf6QsFudSPOfIIUTHkv7f1kc3JycEHdbwO0GB_ulJA&s

also a dog ............. so U have company on u're long walk home

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Rob W

More
4 years 2 months ago #205524 by Southbound
Lithium battery testing.
Disclaimer; Don't try this at home!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
4 years 2 months ago #205525 by Morris
Mikeg,
Yes, you will need a CURRENT licence to show that you are POSITIVE enough to have GENERATED enough ENERGY to be a HIGH VOLTAGE motorist! Do not let NEGATIVE doubters UNPLUG your desire to DISTRIBUTE.
Just be careful that you don't get your AC crossed with your DC. ALTERNATE your DIRECT CURRENT source or RECTIFY your SUPPLY.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeg

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #205527 by Swishy
Good call Sth B
Iz thiz how U hot rod u're electik car n get more go
:lol:
cya

More
4 years 2 months ago #205534 by Southbound
Was thinking the old batteries could be used as a heat source when ya go camping? How's that for recycling! LOL

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #206200 by Swishy

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/5062711552/hE0B684DC/do-it-yourself-electric-car

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?s=198171277c1bfc40f35cde976e60ed31&attachmentid=580793&stc=1&d=1386357596

Electik cars ...................... they'll get there one day ................. but not 2 day

WotSezU?

cya

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Swishy.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #206201 by Lang
Just looked at the Defiant EV3 three wheeler.

In all their advertising they shout 200 miles per day. Would not any reasonable person take this to be hop in and drive 200 miles? It is complete BS. Here is the story buried deep in their website.

Our three-passenger roadster is designed with the daily commuter in mind and has a range of up to 100 miles and then plugs into any standard 120-volt outlet for about 8 hours for a complete recharge. Then the commuter is ready to drive another 100 miles home. This gives the roadster an effective range of up to 200 miles per day. The top speed is about 75 MPH.

If you drive at 75mph (as they do on US freeways) you have a range of under 40 miles.

Electric cars will be the thing of the future but they lack any credibility with their promotion at the moment. They talk about recharging from renewable energy, yes in the future but right now you are burning coal and gas to recharge. They give outrageous slow speed ranges but real life highway driving cuts this in half, still very few charging stations and then you have to put hours of charging breaks in a long journey. Cost is the biggest lie with manufacturing and disposal costs and related pollution far above a normal car.

And the big one - they pay no contribution to the roads they are driving on unlike normal vehicles through fuel excise. This will be corrected in the near future and will set back their progress considerably.

They are the cars of the future but still experimental. Anybody believing they are ready to replace the mainstream car population right now is living in dreamworld. Let us use them as town commuters where they are eminently suitable and slowly replace normal cars as the technology ie batteries become better.

In 10 or 20 years everybody will be driving them no doubt.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206214 by Morris
There is a road test of the latest Hyundai electric car in the Friday 31 January issue of the Melbourne Herald Sun newspaper. It has a claimed range of 460 kilometres. The testers were in Brisbane and they found there is ONLY ONE charging station in Queensland. There is one other Hyundai charging place but it only suits the PREVIOUS model, not the new one. I am not an expert on that State but on my limited travel there, I believe that at least 9o% of Queensland is more than 460k from Brisvegus. The car costs $70,000 which is $30,000 more, or as the reviewers say, about 300,000 kilometres worth of petrol, than the petrol version.
They say you can buy a home charging device for $1950 but it will use coal produced electricity. One reviewer said that if you have solar panels, you can connect the charger to them. I have solar panels but unless I buy thousands of dollars worth of batteries, I cannot use the power generated by them, it all goes into the grid. How would we know that our solar panels would collect enough energy EVERY day, to recharge the car every night?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 1 month ago #206215 by Roderick Smith
Roderick

Buses in fast lane to electrify quicker than cars, BHP modelling finds December 28, 2019. 10 comments
Australia's fleet of tens of thousands of buses and millions more around the world could become electric battery-powered even earlier than cars, according to new modelling by mining giant BHP, which nominates 2025 as the year the "electric vehicle revolution" will truly take off.
Although electric vehicles account for a small fraction of the global transport sector today, electric cars are expected to become the norm in the coming years and begin replacing combustion-engine vehicles as cost barriers ease.
In Australia, plans are under way to transform Sydney's 8000 buses into an electrified fleet.Credit:Rhett Wyman
The expected electrification timeline for the bus and truck fleet, on the other hand, often stretches closer to 2050. But in its latest modelling of the future of transport, Melbourne-based BHP, the world's biggest miner, has found buses are on course to electrify much more quickly than other heavy-duty vehicles and could even outpace electric cars from around 2025.
In an interview with The Age and Sydney Morning Herald, BHP vice-president of market analysis Huw McKay said buses today could be sufficiently powered by first-generation electric battery technology, unlike heavy-duty trucks, which
travel longer distances at greater speeds carrying heavier payloads, often requiring a higher minimum battery performance.
As well, Dr McKay said, due to the "collective buying power" that applies to buses, the rise of a battery-powered bus fleet had potential to outpace the electrification of cars.
"Who makes decisions about what buses to buy? It's the councils, people who work for state governments - they could make a decision tomorrow saying we are not going to buy anything but electric buses for every new purchase," he said.
There are already more than 300,000 electric buses on the road in China - a number that could double by 2025 according to some projections. In Australia, plans are under way to transform Sydney's 8000 buses into an electrified fleet.
European Union has set targets for new buses to be zero-emissions by 2025. And in California, new buses must be emissions-free by 2029.
BHP, a major petroleum supplier, and its rivals have been closely studying the transport sector electrification outlook, as the mega-trend raises big questions about the future demand for its resources.
Of the 100 million barrels of oil consumed each day around the world, around 60 million are used in transport, around 46 million of which are used on the road, with light duty vehicles taking around 28 million and medium- and heavy-duty vehicles taking the remaining 18 million.
On top of producing petroleum, which would be adversely affected by transport electrification, BHP has recently increased its exposure to the electric vehicle market by expanding its Western Australian operations for the mining of nickel - a key ingredient in the manufacturing of electric vehicle batteries.
“It's (the electric vehicle revolution) is a long way away, not the next three to five years, but more like the next 10-15 years. And Australia is not leading the charge ... because of our geography, dispersed population, the high cost.”
Caltex chief executive Julian Segal
When it comes to trucks, Dr McKay's research projects a much slower electrification process until 2025. But while heavy-duty and medium-duty trucks would remain on a similar course for the coming five years, they are then expected to "diverge".
"They are probably going to stay pretty similar until the mid-2020s with not great prospects for electrification, and then they are going to diverge," Dr McKay said.
"Medium-duty are going to start to electrify relatively quickly, but heavy duty are going to be recalcitrant, because that is the segment that has the biggest performance requirement and least allowance for any downtime ... recharging is a lot slower than refuelling."
Recharging a heavy duty-truck is a lengthier process than refuelling one.Credit:AP
Australian fuel giant Caltex said it was treating the impact of the rise of electric vehicles very seriously, but believed the "tipping point" for when it would begin seriously affecting petroleum suppliers was further away that many predicted, potentially more than a decade off.
"It's a long way away, not the next three to five years, but more like the next 10-15 years," Caltex chief executive Julian Segal said last month. "And Australia is not leading the charge ... because of our geography, dispersed population, the high cost."
Mr Segal said Caltex was trialling electric vehicle-charging technology alongside its petrol bowsers to cater for the demand, but "all indications are that it's a long way away". The company said it was trialling a rollout of electric vehicle charging stations at some of its petrol station sites.
The reporter travelled to Singapore as a guest of BHP.
Related Article Volkswagen could be in 'serious trouble' if its electric vehicle play doesn't pay off, says analysts. 'VW could be in serious trouble': Which carmakers will survive the electric revolution?
< www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/05/h...us-revolution/559571 >
* There were Trolley Buses in Wellington N.Z since the mid 1920's. Despite modenising their fleet of Trolley buses they scrapped them, because the costs of maintaining the overhead wires was too expensive. Now they have reverted to using Diesel buses. A giant step backwards. But their suburban trains are still operating over and extensive network.
* A country and a government without a national electricity and energy policy. Australia , in the back blocks again due to Federal Liberal Party inaction. Hopeless.
* We had electric buses in our cities prior to the 1960s and scrapped them.
BHP are wrong about the loading; even a little light reading wold have shown them buses gross out at full legal axle loadings, and in fact route buses on major roads require more power than trucks to maintain a schedule, and acceleration is full power every time after every stop, so range is an issue, and the emissions at the power station are more than diesel emissions. Better stick to mining BHP, Caltex are more on the mark and even then a battery breakthrough is required.
* Electrical vehicle revolution? There were electric vehicles on the road in 1901. One example in the Powerhouse Museum. Maybe more in their Castle Hill repository.
* Shenzhen has 100% electric bus conversion. No overhead power. All battery driven.