Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
4 years 2 months ago #206221 by JOHN.K.
Electric motorbikes are a lot more practical for many than cars ,and a whole lot cheaper......I read there will be over 100 makes and models of lekky cars vans and trucks on the Chinese market this year

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206250 by Lang
Brisbane is about to go one step further with the hop-on, hop-off LIME electric foot scooter fleet. We are about to get a hop-on, hop-off electric motor scooter fleet.

The foot scooters do fill a good role although some idiots scare people on the footpath and their injuries are abrasions and the odd broken wrist or collar bone.

The motor scooters only require a car licence, no cycle training and will only be allowed to operate on the road. They will be legal with a pillion passenger! Wonder what the tolerance to road deaths and major injuries will be before they pull the plug? We already see the teenagers and more senior morons on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast on these no-licence little bikes whipping through the traffic in shorts and thongs.

I think the density of both traffic and pedestrians in the city centre will make these a whole different proposition to the freer holiday destinations.

Might be like the Bali bike rental shops "We have the lowest deaths per kilometre in Bali".

Lang

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206253 by lantana jack

Lang wrote: Brisbane is about to go one step further with the hop-on, hop-off LIME electric foot scooter fleet. We are about to get a hop-on, hop-off electric motor scooter fleet...

...The motor scooters only require a car licence, no cycle training and will only be allowed to operate on the road. They will be legal with a pillion passenger! Wonder what the tolerance to road deaths and major injuries will be before they pull the plug?...

Yep.

Like many rural people I’ve been riding motor bikes since I were aged in the single numbers.

Nowadays I’m a regular round town lane splitting motor bike rider. I have even gone so far as to have my lane splitting special fitted with narrow spread handle bars so I can get between the narrowest gaps. I also have load exhaust pipes so if the drivers don’t see me there, then they at least might hear I’m there.

For us Brisbane lane splitters it is currently dream days due to the fact there are so few of us and most car drivers aren’t bothered by it. I’d say part of the reason drivers aren’t bothered is long time town riders know to not dawdle at the lights and get gone before the tin top drivers wake up to the light change. I expect drivers views to bikes will change dramatically when they find their progress blocked by a plague of dawdling scooters at every light change.

From a drivers experience, I, like many here I expect, have had many experiences with new chum motorbike riders. The classic is I’ve pulled up to the lights in me truck and a scooter does the lane splits and pulls up to my left. If yer don’t see them coming up in your mirrors you don’t know they are there - unless they have noisy exhaust pipes. Something not found on an electric bike.

Coming back through Sydney last year I were in a long nosed 6x6 Mack and had a scooter come up on my left whilst I were waiting to turn left at the lights. Lucky I seen him come up in the mirrors because when the lights changed I didn’t see him appear past my bonnet. I jumped over to the left seat and seen the idiot looking at his phone whilst he were parked about a foot from my front wheel - No imagination required what would have happened if I hadn’t of seen him come up in my mirrors.
The scooter rider had one of them video cameras on his helmet so there is probably a YouTube video out there of an irate truck driver yelling abuse at a blameless scooter rider..:lol:

Yeah, I don’t think them scooters will last long.

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by lantana jack.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206254 by JOHN.K.
Mate of mine paid big to get his 20 something son every kind of licence you can poke a stick at......anyhoo,about a month later ,cops pull up the kid riding his bike ..."You were observed monowheeling thru a orange light".........Kid says....ya must have missed all the others then......I never have any trouble getting stuck behind bikes.....mainly cause my ute cant do a 5 second quarter,and doesnt monowheel too good.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206255 by Bluey60
Brother-in-laws a sparky and his brother has busses from what they tell me the upgrades to the electricity grid and switchboards that will have to be done for recharging stations and bus depots is going to cost a fortune
He recons even for cars the average suburban street only has enough capacity to charge one or two cars
Bluey

More
4 years 2 months ago #206274 by lantana jack

Bluey60 wrote: Brother-in-laws a sparky and his brother has busses from what they tell me the upgrades to the electricity grid and switchboards that will have to be done for recharging stations and bus depots is going to cost a fortune
He recons even for cars the average suburban street only has enough capacity to charge one or two cars
Bluey

Yep, probably why in Europe the cost to charge an electric car has just gone up by 500%...:whistle:

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
4 years 2 months ago #206278 by JOHN.K.
Join the dots....govt worried about revenue loss with lekky car....smart charger can easily add tax to charge fee.....hidden tax.....you litttle beauty says govt.......Did you know your smart meter send back info to the power co like when you get up,watch tv ,go out,and go to bed.....and what appliances /power use pattern is.A tax on lekky car charges is childsplay.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206281 by lantana jack
There are ways around the poles and wire problem...

“...It has been predicted by the president of one of America's leading automobile companies (Mr. G. M. Williams) that auto-mobiles of the future will be driven by electric motors, and will receive their power by radio, direct from centrally Located transmitting stations, car owners being assigned a specific wave length...”

trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/87457...|||q-year2-date=1939

B)

More
4 years 2 months ago #206282 by Morris
There may be a few more vehicles on the road now than there were in 1939. I wonder how many radio transmitters would be needed to provide cover for the whole world?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 2 months ago #206283 by Dave_64
Lantana Jack mentions power for electric cars being “broadcast” over some type of radio beam band. Jules Verne??? Not as way out as it sounds, remember the G.E. Company in US experimenting with radio waves, late 1940’s, by about 53 had perfected the microwave oven, every second household in the world has one now. What could be more far out than that? Used to be a mag out years ago, Omni, think it was called, like a modern day “Popular Mechanics”, had an idea of a third rail, similar to the electric suburban trains in the States, buried beside the roads and highways , with some sort of microwave link to access the power. Sounds extremely way out, but you only have to look at the techno advances since man walked on the moon. Little surprises us, these days.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds