Skip to main content

1979 Leyland Terrier Bus

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #202569 by Gothmumma
Hi all, I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some recommendations and some advice/information. I have just bought a 1979 Leyland Terrier Diesel bus that I have taken over converting it into a motorhome. I have basic information on the running gear of this bus. I have been told it has an Isuzu engine and it's a semi automatic but I am hoping to get more info about this make and model of Bus. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated as Google is only offering so much :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Gryphon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202577 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1979 Leyland Terrier Bus
You better hope it has an Isuzu diff too......the Terrier six stud axle had a pathetically weak differential centre,and the Australian version was poorly machined ,too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gothmumma

More
4 years 8 months ago #202579 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 1979 Leyland Terrier Bus
Gothmumma, welcome, you got the first post right with a photo so we non bussies know what you are talking about. There are all sorts of experts on here and someone will be able to give you information or where else to look. And while you are scraping muck and grease off various parts, like engine model, and as John asks, diff brand etc.... keep feeding the information back here so we can all keep up.

How does it drive? What sort of comfortable cruising speed does it have/do you want?

Good luck.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202580 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic 1979 Leyland Terrier Bus

JOHN.K. wrote: ....the Terrier six stud axle had a pathetically weak differential centre.

it did?

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
4 years 8 months ago #202587 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1979 Leyland Terrier Bus
The only Terrier axle any good was the one fitted to the V8 petrol model.....it was the old Austin 5 ton diff..........I hope you have this model,not the ones with the Perkins /mazda engine......nothing wrong with the engine,just the diff......whole axle actually,I sleeved a lot of hubs when the bearing seats flogged oversize...studs used to come loose too ,in the poor quality cast iron.......They were a nice little truck to drive,the 6/247 had plenty of power ,just some parts didnt last.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202589 by Gothmumma
Replied by Gothmumma on topic 1979 Leyland Terrier Bus
Thanks so much John.K., your help has been very informational. I will get a chance in the next couple days to have a major look at it now that it's in an accessible situation. :) :)

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds