Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Truck Etymology

Truck Etymology 21 May 2020 17:55 #210486

• Lang
  • Lang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1781
With reference to nothing here are some interesting things about truck naming.

The word truck might have come from a back-formation of truckle with the meaning small wheel, pulley, from Middle English trokell, in turn from Latin trochlea. Another explanation is that it comes from Latin trochus with the meaning of iron hoop. In turn, both go back to Greek trokhos with the meaning wheel, from trekhein that meant "to run". The first known usage of "truck" was in 1611 when it referred to the small, strong wheels on ships' cannon carriages. In its extended usage it came to refer to carts for carrying heavy loads, a meaning known since 1771. With the meaning of motor-powered load carrier, it has been in usage since 1930, shortened from motor truck who dates back to 1916."

"Lorry" has a more uncertain origin, but probably has its roots in the rail transport industry, where the word is known to have been used in 1838 to refer to a type of truck (a goods wagon as in British usage, not a bogie as in the American), specifically a large flat wagon. It might derive from the verb lurry (to carry or drag along; or to lug) which was in use as early as 1664, but that association is not definitive. The expanded meaning of lorry, "self-propelled vehicle for carrying goods", has been in usage since 1911.

The French, Italian and Spanish word for truck is camion (although pronounced differently) first recorded in 1911. Comes from the French for road = chemin or Spanish for road = camino.

In German it is Lastwagon (Goods Wagon )but:
The Germans use the acronym LKW - meaning Last-Kraft-Fahrzeug (motorized vehicle for goods), as opposed to PKW, Personen-Kraft-Fahrzeug (motorized vehicle for people). One is for goods, or charges (Lasten), the other for persons. You pronounce it ELL-KAH-VEH in English pronounciation.

You can also say Laster, which in context will be identified as a truck. It’s colloquial though.

Russian for truck is грузовая машина pronounced gruzovaya mashina or Gruzovik for short. It means juggernaut machine.

In Japanese truck is Torakku from the English track or possibly truck..

In Chinese it is Kache

In Swedish, Danish it is Lastbil and Norwegian Lastabil.

In Dutch it is either Vrachtwagon or Vrachtauto.

In Arabic, Shahinat Naqi

In Swahili it is Lori from the English lorry.

Bahasa Indonesia or Malay is Truk

In Czech it is Kamion

In Polish Ciezarowka

In Ukrainian it is Vantashivka

In Irish Gaelic it is Trucail and Scottish Gaelic Laraidh

In Kiwi Maori it is Taraka

In Greek it is Fortigo

In Turkish Kamiyon

In Finnish Kuorma-auto

In Mongolian Achaany Mashin

In Vietnamese Xe Tai

In Croation Kamion (Camion and variations are probably more common around the world than Truck variations)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou, eerfree, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, husky, Tacho

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lang.

Truck Etymology 22 May 2020 13:16 #210515

• werkhorse
  • TNT Historian
  • Thank you received: 498
In Mechanic it's pronounced %#@$& piece of $&%@$
You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Truck Etymology 22 May 2020 17:01 #210527

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 472
In Swishman it is VOLVO.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

Truck Etymology 22 May 2020 20:13 #210543

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 262
Try as you might to edumacate the plebian masses Lang, it falls on deaf ears, but does elicit funny responses. :lol:

Many years spent in classrooms with kids in raptures as I shared thoroughly useless gems of information with them - they did get very involved in certain tasks I set which didn't always follow those planned. Won't go into that here or I'll be accused of being/going off thread.

However I found your post interesting, you never know when you might be on the trail of a truck in Upper Rubovia. :blink:

Truck Etymology 22 May 2020 20:42 #210547

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 502
That's very educational Lang and I have learnt things I never new

Thank you

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Truck Etymology 23 May 2020 13:56 #210560

• Lang
  • Lang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1781
PDU

It is not on my list but as Rubovia is in the Carpathian Mountains near the intersection of the Romanian (Camion), Hungarian (Kamion) and Czech (Kamion) borders I think on your next visit, the phonetic pronunciation of Kamion can safely be used to describe a large goods carrying vehicle.

Then again, as an experienced traveler you would know the dangers of parroting local words you did not understand. It is possible you may hear some big bloke say "Tell me to get Kamioned, will you!" as his fist strikes your right ear.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558