Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212845 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Fascinating work methods
:woohoo:

More
3 years 8 months ago #212914 by Mrsmackpaul
Those tyre repairs are pretty clever and some appear to my untrained eye to be pretty good

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago #212933 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Fascinating work methods
Having done some similar repairs to tractor tyre when I was 2ic with Slow Repairs For Tyres the technique really is that simple and the bloke doing it was bloody good at it too. My only thought was that huge chunk that was bonded on the inside of the carcass would be impossible to balance out even for a rear tyre. HE also was good enough to bond a thin layer over that chunk to stop chaffing against the tube even though talc would do a similar job.
Something back in the early 1990's, Banglops started applying what they called a 'full circle liner' inside their retreads. After the retreading was done they then sprayed a layer all around the inside which sealed the tyre especially if it was a tubless tyre. Not long after that they bought out the GB125 I think it was called. This was a cheap as chips tubless tyre, brand new with highway tread pattern to make it compatible in price to a retread. They were fairly popular around the drivers in Taree and we put plenty out the door.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212940 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Fascinating work methods

Mrsmackpaul wrote: Those tyre repairs are pretty clever and some appear to my untrained eye to be pretty good

Paul

But would you trust it, Paul? I certainly wouldn't.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212941 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Fascinating work methods
Though I'm not prepared to watch it all the way through again to check, I'm sure there was a caption at the very end saying that the tyre was only for use on agricultural machinery.
Gotta say, they do the best they can with the gear they have. No wonder those that come to Australia think we have it made.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 8 months ago #212942 by Mrsmackpaul
As wee allis says, they are only for agg use so yes I would

Paul

More
3 years 8 months ago #212946 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Fascinating work methods
Back in the 1970's, before there were any tyres from China, cheap tyres came from India. A tyre expert gave a talk at a meeting of the Vintage Drivers Club and warned us to be very careful before buying cheapies.
He said that very poor tyres had an "H" stamped onto them. This indicated they were suitable only for the speed of horse drawn vehicles. He said that there even worse tyres stamped with "A" and asked us what did we think that stood for? Yes, they were only suitable for animal (read Bullock) drawn vehicles.
I hope that import quality control is better now!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 8 months ago #212951 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Fascinating work methods
Oooh, I dunno Morris?
Back in the Atkinstein days, we every tyre we ever bought was secondhand. EXCEPT for the steer tryes. And the cheapest steer tyres you could buy, were, you guessed it, Indian. They were rag type tyres,, I even remember the brand- "GAJAH TUNGAL"... hows that for a good aussie name eh?
But we never had a problem with them, and being a car carrier we were always heavy over the steer.
Anyway I had a reasonably bad crash up near Kempsey one night, with a drunk lady crashing in to the poor old truck- bent the steer axle and tore the side of her Valiant as well- she was lucky to survive.. (long story, she'd actually done a hit and run before she hit me, and killed an off duty copper on the side of the road)
But the Gajah Tungal on the steer was kinda stuffed with cuts, though still holding air.
So after we dragged the poor old truck home on a mates truck, replaced the axle and repaired the rest of the damage, we needed some more steer tyres- and our local tyre joint had these RADIAL secondhand tyres!!! Yep, RADIALS!!! Hoo Wee! So on the front they went.
They lasted until the mad mile up near Tallarook, when I had my first blowout on the steer... Which is bloody interesting in a car carrier with one over the roof.
Anyway the only spare I had that wasnt a retread was the previously mentioned Gajah Tungal with the cuts in it. So it went on one side, with the steel radial on the other side front. And as it felt just like normal, the bugger stayed there, until both it and the radial on the other side wore out
So don't be knockin the good old indian tyres! Although to be fair, it probably did have "A" stamped into it, the speed we were tavelling in the Atkinson wouldn't have been much bloody faster..bit wobblier though.
As a side note, i do remember Dad carrying a Full circle sleeve as part of his arsenal of many and varied range of spare tyres. As he only used old secondhand junk tyres, he always carried six spares anyway...
It was a differnt era, eh?
Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 years 8 months ago #212958 by Mrsmackpaul
I had Gajah Tungals on my Che C 60 farm truck for many years and never had a problem
Dont think I even had a flat

Mind you like the Atkinson it was no speed demon

Paul

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds