Skip to main content

Plastic eyes

More
3 years 6 months ago #215555 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic Plastic eyes
Folks
Sorry to hear that Jeffo.
I had the good luck to strike a doc many years ago who properly removed a small chip of steel from my eye.
"And I suppose they tried a magnet first? he said. Never let them do that. Go to hospital as described. Eyeball is like an onion apparently. After steel is removed, they have to "countersink" the hole, otherwise a rust stain develops, and gets bigger as you get older. Not sure if it's a problem for us old blokes, but sure can be for youngsters.
Be careful all you wire brushers and so on-we only ot two eyes to begin with.
Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215559 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Plastic eyes
Had the experience of angle grinder spark - instantly embeds in and starts rusting. Too small for dr to see so sent home with eye drops. Few days later laying concrete slab with too few helpers and half way through the eye starts going blank. Totally blind in the space of 15 minutes. That slab was a bit rough by the end! Eye surgeon picked the spark out with a needle and all good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 6 months ago #215573 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Plastic eyes
Yes, exactly all those experiences.
Either from angle grinder or rotary wire brush. 9” would throw grinding sparks right across the workshops so we all shared.
When the first “safety” glasses came out, they simply directed sparks into your eyes, very seldom used. Everyone used the squint eyes method.
But the gear at hospitals is excellent, learned my mistake the hard way.
Have lots of rusty spots but they’re not a problem, it’s the scarring from over digging that buggers things up.
Overall the plastic lenses have been a huge improvement. Distance vision is really good, no glasses needed. Close up is just el cheap magnifiers from the chemist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 6 months ago #215586 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Plastic eyes
The conversation reminds me of this sign seen at the Yarloop Steam Workshop in 2006. That place was fantastic as it was Bunnings old workshop with stuff left lying around as though people had gone to smoko and would be back soon. Unfortunately it was destroyed in the fires that demolished Yarloop. We will never again see safety signs like this!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
3 years 6 months ago #215639 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Plastic eyes
Slighty degressing
A while a go now was test driving a race car for purchase (If you crash you own it I ended up owning it )
Whilst testing the said vehicle turned left unexplained at the time into concrete wall No physical damage as such i thought
Pack it all up get back and looking at roof skylight noticed a redness tinge So of to the doctor has a gander suggest visit to the eye and
eye hospital Turns out due to the sudden de acceleration the back of the eye had compressed burst a very fine capillary vessel as like a
bruise. Which has now left me with like a blind spot but still have good vision

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 6 months ago #215642 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Plastic eyes
SloonCarBrowny

Din u're mother say STOP IT

or U'll go blind

LOL

cya