Skip to main content

John K's Shed building Adventure

More
3 years 5 months ago #215674 by JOHN.K.
Seems net result of Covid is everthing now costs double........except the concreter for the new shed
He says seeing as he gave me a contract for the slab ,he cant raise his price ,so instead of starting the job, hes gone on four weeks holiday to Airlie Beach.......half price ,dontcha know?.......Anyway ,at least the price of scrap is well up ,and holding ,so thats good.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215682 by asw120
I s'pose I'll have to get that Inter chassis out of your way, then. Will you be using that old tin, or building an all-new shed?
You won't know yourself!

Jarrod.
PS; good to catch up the other day.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 5 months ago #215705 by JOHN.K.
Some chance of a shed before Christmas ...or ever......two storms ,six inches of rain ,concreter rings up and says "Ive lost enough time on this job,gotta start rain or not"........no mention of taking four weeks holiday when it hasnt rained for six months,and everything is dust dry.Typical tradie.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215740 by JOHN.K.
Excavation finished Monday ,concreter says he might be able to pour Tuesday .......fortunately ,he got a call to another job ,and wasnt ready for Tuesday am ,but Tue am he set up the formwork ,plastic sheet and mesh ,by which time the sky was green and purple and it was half light at midday......big storm yesterday pm ,excavation all full of sand and mud under the mesh......piers half full of mud......Now he says he is going to pour next Tuesday 6am ,but he wont be back to town until a few hours before......How many holidays are you allowed to have......So much for the shed .....Ive also been waiting for some guys to do my front fence......I did some ,but cant get the sheets in by myself......Anyhoo ,come Monday 6am......right ,no one shows ,Tuesday 6am ,fencer comes around and asks if I want to buy the tyres and wheels off his ute,cause he needs money in a hurry.......So I give him $50 each for the wheels and tyres off his ute .......how is he going to do fencing?No worries?............He back 6pm tuesday ,wants to borrow my chainsaw and cut down my front fence........I say no,come back tomorrow 6am..........no show at 6,but he turns up at 9am ,says he'll work hourly rate.......after 2 1/2 hrs ,he says he has a doctors appointment ,and has to go off for the afternoon.........I did manage some of the fence done ,thought ,so its not all bad.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215742 by cobbadog
What an ongoing saga.
Only today one of my customers said to me as I was about to leave, firstly you turned up on time, you explained everything you intend to do on the job and then did not attempt to rob me with your price, please go ahead and do the job.
She then explained and I hear it a lot that tradesmen around here tend not to run on time, turn up at all and then want your credit details so they can rob you blind.
As you say, at least there was progress.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215744 by JOHN.K.
The concreter is on Titans list of preferrred tradies,so I expect a bit better.......if the guy had started four weeks ago the whole thing would have gone without a hitch,now hes obviously getting depressed by all the jobs stuffed up by the storms........I dont care about the fence,its been near collapse for years,but the sheds got me worried ....Looks like Ill be hands and knees removing mud and sand all weekend ...why he had to place and tie the wire so far away from the pour ,I dont know.....At least this afternoons storm hasnt done much more damage....Yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 5 months ago #215749 by Urchy87
They don’t call them ‘Concreatures’ for nothing. As a tradie myself, I hate the generics that get attached to us as an industry although it’s all but true. I’ve noticed it more in the cities than country areas, one man bands. A friend lives in Brisbane and had the local electrician look at a circuit that was tripping randomly, was there for a few hours, couldn’t find why, charged for the time he was there plus a call out fee, what the, it was midday on a weekday. No I’ll come back and we will get this sorted when I have a bit more time, nothing, just vanished. Long story short I helped her diagnose what it was over the phone in 20 mins.

Hope you get the shed sorted swiftly and the Covid tax stays away.

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #215781 by Bobsboy
hmm ya,
here in Adelaide town too.
Five month job, buildings wrapped in scafolding (ugly shite to look through).

NEVER worked Friday, Monday seemed to be an soft option
Tuesday - Thursday was a bit hows your uncle but oh well, better try to geter dun. . .

The only sure fire guananteed activity was the 3 PM knock off.

Oh well
who cares?

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
3 years 4 months ago #215846 by jeffo
I can emphasise John.
I’ve been in the construction game for a bloody long time and it really irks me having to find competent subbies for jobs I would have done myself only a few years ago.
I guess the crook thing is their lack of skills, would not have lasted to smoko on any of my jobs.
Old age catches up.

More
3 years 4 months ago #215847 by JOHN.K.
Biggest problem of all may be Tuesday morning.........I have to bring in the concrete trucks over a footpath down the back street.......and I dont think Im supposed to be accessing the property over that footpath........I was tossing up whether to apply to the council ,or just hope.....the council have a fleet of "Rapid Response" inspectors ,and could certainly shut me down after the first delivery,if there is a complaint ...and the back street is complaints central..............One thing in my favour (I hope) ,is the residents think its a house pad,if they knew it was a shed ,theyd be up in arms for sure.

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds