Skip to main content

Todays Musings

More
2 years 11 months ago #220946 by Dave_64
Todays Musings was created by Dave_64
Been following this forum for the best part of, I suppose, ten years or so.
Among the changes I've noticed is that we don't seem to see the amount of "Projects" that were in abundance then. Why?
Maybe the economy? Lack of parts (where everything these days seems to be either Chinese imports or at least sourced, just go for a wander through Bunnings or any of the big hardware stores and you will concur), lack of individual finance? Lack of interest?
The few remaining projects being written up do seem to be well supported, though.

Also noticing that at times we seem to be getting away from mainstream topics, doesn't really worry me individually, if a subject doesn't grab my attention, I simply skim over it, but will at least check the subject heading.

I guess this forum is like a lot of others, people come, people go, some of the old (faces) are constant. People who were prolific when I first joined no longer seem to be around, or if they are, no longer contribute. In saying that, we always seem to get enough entrants to keep the forum ticking over at least, even if we diverge from the main topic at times.

Maybe we could start up a topic like "sometime sayings" or "whereamI" or "Wotzis" and call it "Vent my spleen, Daily Bitch" or something similar? Responses welcomed!
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #220951 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Todays Musings
Dave

I agree there do not seem to be as many projects as before but I think it might just be a cycle not helped by the lack of or restrictions on events and travel for well over a year.

I have only been on the forum for 6 years so am a comparative newbie but I scrolled back to the beginning and see there has always only been a small core of regular posters. There are lots of people who throw something into the ring if it catches their fancy but they may not reappear for 12 months. It does not mean there is lack of interest as can be seen from the many people on line at any time. People die, lose interest and move on like everything in life. A few get miffed and leave in a huff but very rarely in this very well run and polite forum.

I consider the forum to be a transport, machinery and history electronic "mens' shed" and enjoy following up on any subject to get a bit more information and depth (as much for my education as anybody else's). I try to keep the ball rolling with any interesting or entertaining transport/road/history related thing I come across, maybe far too much and I am willing to pull back if told to. As you said it is easy just to skip what you are not interested in.

I think opening up a rant section, however well meaning, only encourages the growth of wild opinion, pushing of barrows and opportunity for social and political dispute. We have everybody from a Liberal Toorak/Vaucluse socialite background to sons of Communist Carlton/Redfern wharf labourers. Everybody has a story or at least an interest in our core subject.

Instead of a few hundred people looking at a rant on this forum there are millions out there who will appreciate the opportunity to set the world on fire as a result of a posted opinion on Facebook or Twitter or whatever other social crap forum they use.

I really like your truck stuff Dave, you are thumbs up from me on that score alone.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, V8Ian, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 years 11 months ago #220955 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Todays Musings
my rant would be my shed has been finished just four weeks,and the twentieth person has fronted me about storing cars ,trucks ,bikes ,furniture,building material,etc in it.,,,I havent even got my own stuff in it yet...and these people seem to appear every time I open the roller door.....and...oooh what a lot of space ....I only need a bit,you wouldnt notice it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Zuffen

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #220956 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Todays Musings
Thanks Lang,
Probably right, may well get all the miscreants, urgers and other associated misfits thinking it's open slather!
Yeah, leave that to the Faceachers!
We DO have a well conducted forum, very rarely have I seen or read anything untoward here, I think that fairness seems to be a mainstay. Even a member asking pre-posting if it would be OK to post something with a religious leaning was given the OK. Bung it up and if it gets howled down, then so be it. If it's done in the right spirit, we may even get a giggle out of it!

John.K.
Wonder where they come from , don't you? I had only just finished putting the cladding and doors on my own shed, when eldest son declares that I should have made it larger, so he can jam his garbage in there as well!
Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, PaulFH, JOHN.K.

More
2 years 11 months ago #220966 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Todays Musings
Come on Dave! You know full well that if you built a shed the size of the MCG within a very short time there would be stuff out in the rain because it was full. It is a law of nature that contents mysteriously grow to always exceed the capacity of the shed.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH

More
2 years 11 months ago #220977 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Todays Musings
Dave_64 I see where you are coming from. Maybe the reason there are not so many projects now as there was ten years ago is that we are all ten years older. In my case, I find it almost impossible to work on cars now so any further work I manage to do will have to be on my trucks but should fit this forum.
ow and I will help you fill it. Ha Ha.:woohoo:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 11 months ago #220978 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Todays Musings
I don't know what goes on with this program.
Just before I submitted the above, I checked it on Preview and it was all there.
I hit Write and then Submit and the following words were missing from the last line "When you build a bigger shed let me kn (ow)"

It is all too difficult for me.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 11 months ago #220984 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Todays Musings
Dave, how many times does this caper happen, you do something for yourself at your expense and all the free loaders come out of the woodwork.
A mate out at Warwick Qld bought a car trailer from a bloke near by and over the next 5 months he came back to borrow it then had the hide to return it damaged twice. Cure was to change the tow hitch to an unusual one along with the trailer plug then chained it to the shed. Next he bought himself a Toyota brand skid steer loader and all of a sudden half the town wanted to get their hands on it too and recently the local school wanted him to do a small clean up of the school grounds and dictated when he can do it on which weekend which happened to fall on the weekend of a rally he was attending. This too has been made unobtainable by parkin g it up on the car trailer and a not running sign on it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, overlander

More
2 years 11 months ago #220987 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Todays Musings
Lang, I seriously doubt you would be asked to pull back. Sure I'm not alone in finding your posts informative, entertaining, sometimes amusing but always interesting.

In part there would be fewer restorations because A) they've been done and B) the prices China has been paying for scrap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 11 months ago #220998 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Todays Musings
No doubt about the scrap price......after the oil spill moving the first two of my machines,I just scrapped the rest instead of moving them.........had a helper at one stage , he s wanting to save everything,but at my age ,I dont have 20 years for projects,not even ten ,realistically......I gave him some heavy racks,and he doesnt even have a decent trailer to move stuff.....he cut the racks into pieces with oxy,and I bet they are still in pieces in ten years time......cant understand it,they have probably ten old trucks with SIVS rego,his old man wont let him use any of them .(its only a couple of miles ,and well within the rego conditions.)....so everything has to go on a jeep trailer.

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds