Skip to main content

A Drawing

More
2 years 11 months ago #221181 by cobbadog
A Drawing was created by cobbadog
Some time ago I had a customer come to me with a problem with his blinds and I fixed them while he waited. While he was there he spotted my Series1 30C which bought back memories of his younger days back in the UK. This guy was a bit add but still nice enough and then he asked all about it and if I would start it up and park it out in the yard and he take a photo of it.
Once put away he went out to his ute and bought back a large folder of drawing that he had done over the years and now he made this one for us and one for himself. Now before the 'die hards' go mad and pick it to pieces this is a blended tractor that he decided to add and subtract parts from a few models. So no mine does not have the thermometer in the bonnet and not too many other DB have my short leg steps beneath the foot plates, number plate in the wrong position and so on. Just thought since I like the image very much I thought I would post it up and share.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, IHScout, allan, Lang, PaulFH, Pierre, asw120, roKWiz, V8Ian, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221182 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic A Drawing
that's a great bit of art Cobba

Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 11 months ago #221184 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic A Drawing
I wish I had half his talent, I struggle to draw curtains. :(

More
2 years 11 months ago #221188 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic A Drawing
You have trouble drawing curtains and Dee makes the curtains for me to install. Yeah I can't draw a straight line using a rule as a guide. I am about to embark on another job I am hopeless at and that is highlighting letters on a sign.
While at Goulburn and at the railway Round house I bought some replica 'carriage' plates. These were an oval shaped badge cast and attached to carriages where they were either made or based at around NSW. We have always had the Goulburn one but they knocked up a few other ones so I bought those as well. They do it as a fund raiser for the Museum and they made some rough casting plates then every now and then they melt down old aluminum cans and any other aluminum and pout new carriage plates.
Now I have roughly tidied them up and have given them a coat of paint and once dry I then have to go over the raised letters and numbers. This for me is really a task to get right and often do not win. Once finished I will mount them on a board and it will go up on the wall somewhere inside the house along with tractor stuff as well.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221189 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic A Drawing
Find an old ink roller, commonly used for lino cut prints, you probably tried them at school when you were (much) younger? Paint on a bit of scrap, roll and then run it over the letters/numbers for a perfect result. :)

More
2 years 11 months ago #221192 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic A Drawing
That works fine PDU when the castings are of high quality and the letters and numbers are all the same height. Using this method it would be similar to "one, two miss a few ninety nine a hundred".
So by hand will be the ATTEMPT. Pics to come if interested.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 11 months ago #221198 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic A Drawing
Cobbadog, That drawing looks so good it could be a photograph! It is a beauty.

Regarding painting sign with raised letters, I once repainted an old number plate by spraying it all over with the colour I wanted for the RAISED letters and when that had dried, I painted it all over with the background colour. I let it dry for several days and then carefully sanded the background colour off the raised parts exposing the colour underneath.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #221199 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic A Drawing
I often change colours on my personal plates to suit the vehicle they are now going on. Number plates all have reflective lettering and repainting letters removes that facility which is as much about safety as law enforcement.

I find it very quick and easy to roughly cover the letters with masking tape. It is very simple to trim the tape by running a blade along the edge of the raised numbers, the fold in the metal gives you a guide (much quicker and cleaner than trying to do edge masking with the tape). Then just spray with whatever colour you want and if you are really fussy hit it with a can of clear for that factory shine.

If you have older non-reflective plates or raised lettering of any type it is still easier to spray the letter colour first them proceed as above. The clear in this case can go over the letters as well. You will notice nearly all factory plate painting takes the letter colour down the side of the raised letters to the background surface. Rollers or pads only do the top of the raised letters and often don't look as good or properly done. Of course there is a limit to how small you can cut around and under about 40mm high raised lettering may just have to be top-rolled or padded. I have been able to successfully cut around the 20mm state name and motto on number plates but it is a fiddly job.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221208 by 235mack
Replied by 235mack on topic A Drawing
Might work in Queensland Lang but just a wee bit south in NSW it is a big no-no to repaint number plates.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 11 months ago #221209 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic A Drawing
freshly pirated 4 u're N joyment

Thanx 2 the drawerererer
U kno hoo U R

LOL
cya