Skip to main content

Happy Birthday Homer

More
2 years 11 months ago #221516 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Happy Birthday Homer
I think you are on to something - back to Greenwich main time for longitude. There were no "time zones' let alone an international date line before that

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221519 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Happy Birthday Homer
Very complex and still not sorted completely.

Amazing how late everybody started getting their act together.

Worldwide time zones
Italian mathematician Quirico Filopanti introduced the idea of a worldwide system of time zones in his book Miranda!, published in 1858. He proposed 24 hourly time zones, which he called "longitudinal days", the first centred on the meridian of Rome. He also proposed a universal time to be used in astronomy and telegraphy. However, his book attracted no attention until long after his death.

Scottish-born Canadian Sir Sandford Fleming proposed a worldwide system of time zones in 1879. He advocated his system at several international conferences, and is credited with "the initial effort that led to the adoption of the present time meridians". In 1876, his first proposal was for a global 24-hour clock, conceptually located at the centre of the Earth and not linked to any surface meridian. In 1879, he specified that his universal day would begin at the anti-meridian of Greenwich (180th meridian), while conceding that hourly time zones might have some limited local use. He also proposed his system at the International Meridian Conference in October 1884, but it did not adopt his time zones because they were not within its purview. The conference did adopt a universal day of 24 hours beginning at Greenwich midnight, but specified that it "shall not interfere with the use of local or standard time where desirable".

By about 1900, almost all inhabited places on Earth had adopted a standard time zone, but only some of them used an hourly offset from GMT. Many applied the time at a local astronomical observatory to an entire country, without any reference to GMT. It took many decades before all time zones were based on some standard offset from GMT or Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). By 1929, the majority of countries had adopted hourly time zones, though some countries such as Iran, India and parts of Australia had time zones with a 30-minute offset. Nepal was the last country to adopt a standard offset, shifting slightly to UTC+05:45 in 1986.

All nations currently use standard time zones for secular purposes, but not all of them apply the concept as originally conceived. Several countries and subdivisions use half-hour or quarter-hour deviations from standard time. Some countries, such as China and India, use a single time zone even though the extent of their territory far exceeds the ideal 15° of longitude for one hour; other countries, such as Spain and Argentina, use standard hour-based offsets, but not necessarily those that would be determined by their geographical location. The consequences, in some areas, can affect the lives of local citizens, and in extreme cases contribute to larger political issues, such as in the western reaches of China. In Russia, which has 11 time zones, two time zones were removed in 2010 and reinstated in 2014.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #221520 by Lang
Swishy and Mammoth I don't think there was a problem with the early Europeans as they operated west of what is now the International Date Line and never gained or lost an arbitrary day. In other words they were operating on he same day as Europe only a few hours earlier. Cook did cross the then non-existent date line but he was traveling from the east and the sun he saw overhead at Botany Bay was the the same one they saw a few hours later in England on the same day.

So when Cook, Tasman, Flinders etc wrote 5 March in Australia in their log book it would still be 5 March today with all the modern standardised UTC and dateline in place.

At the same time as Cook was writing 5 March in his log book at Botany Bay the captain of the cargo ship carrying tea to be dumped over the side in Boston harbour would be writing 4 March. Both happened at exactly the same instant (not clock time) but on different dates!

The Japanese invasion of Malaysia took place after midnight on 8 December 1941 some time before they attacked Pearl Harbour on the morning of 7 December 1941!

And of course who can forget Phinneas Fogg and his Around the World in 80 Days when he lost his bet then suddenly realised he had gone east-about and gained a day to get him in under the deadline.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221522 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Happy Birthday Homer
What year did the Leap Year come into being???

We could be Weeks Or even Months Out of Date..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #221524 by Lang
No. The Romans used to throw in two complete Februarys from time to time to keep the operation roughly on track. All the various dating systems took the extra quarter day into account. The early people had a self-correcting method by running with the summer solstice so every few years they would have to wait an extra day for the sun reach its peak.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221535 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Happy Birthday Homer
Why 24 hours and not 20? it would have been easier to sort out all those time lines and longitudinal lines as ell and the time zones would have been easier to sort out.
Let's bring in DECIMAL time next April.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221538 by Lang
Here is a great explanation of the various reasons for 360 degrees in a circle. This of course leads on to 24 hour days as the sun travels 15 degrees each hour and there are 24 lots of 15 in 360.

www.scienceabc.com/pure-sciences/why-is-...20highly%20composite .
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 11 months ago #221541 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Happy Birthday Homer
Sorry Guyz

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 11 months ago #221543 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Happy Birthday Homer
I'd prefer to think of it as moreso wandering off topic, dragging red herrings in etc etc

More
2 years 11 months ago #221546 by Lang
Dave

I think it is right on topic as Swishy's post was about a particular date and the first response to Swishy's birthday notification said it was a day late. All the rest is natural progression. I must admit his question about what date we should celebrate in Australia expanded the discussion but it soon returned to the original basis of how Swishy was right and how that came about.

Anyhow although I knew most of it I certainly learned a few things about Homers birthdate and calendars in general. Certainly a lot more interesting to me than getting into the life of Homer Simpson.

I know others may disagree.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds