Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DayLight Saving 03 Sep 2021 13:06 #225335

• 600Dodge
  • Thank you received: 134
30 days to go and I can't wait.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

DayLight Saving 03 Sep 2021 16:00 #225343

• bparo
  • Thank you received: 273

I may stand corrected. "BUT" Wasn't there a time when d/s was only 4 months. Now it has blown out to 6 months.????

Not so sure. I am happy for the real summer months but first and last month are a bit of a pain. That's just my thoughts.

I do believe you are pretty much spot on

Paul

Back in the 1980's I remember the headaches caused when each state changed the clock at separate times. There would be weeks when NSW and Tasmania would be an hour different to Victoria at both ends of the start/stop and there were times that Tasmania didn't line up with anyone else too.
Then NSW and Vic standardised on 1st weekend in November and March as the change dates leavkng Tasmania changing at 1st weekend in October and April and after that NSW and Vic changed to matcb Tasmania.

When Mobile phones were introduced Telecom/Telstra used to cut them off overnight if the bill wasn't paid. I was based at Australia Post doing support work on behalf of Unisys at the time. The information had to be to Telecom/Telstra by 7pm Sydney time each day. The first summer there were a lot of customer complaints about phones being cut off but the bill had been paid so I was called in to investigate. Investigations showed the bills were being paid after 4pm Perth time so not being sent to Melbourne until 6pm Perth time. In a meeting Australia Post were being threatened with legal action for failing to deliver until I pointed out that 7pm Sydney time was 4pm Perth time and it took an hour to process the information so anything paid in Perth after 3pm wouldn't come through in time.
I still remember someone trying to refute my argument with "Why would someone from Melbourne be paying their mobile phone bill in Perth?" not knowing they had answered their own question.
Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

DayLight Saving 03 Sep 2021 18:56 #225352

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1393
Well if you are prepared for a yarn or two involving daylight saving and me then sit back and grab a cold one

Way way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I was heading off with my good mate from school days to stake some mining claims in NT
We left Vic Friday night and were on a very tight deadline before some other joker cottoned onto to what was going on

Drove the old Falcon like a bat out of hell for a few days this trip

So we launched it for Camerons corner
Daylight savings change over weekend
So crossed the border into NSW to see the sun rise in Broken Hill
We crossed two time zones in a matter of hours then as Broken Hill is or was on SA time

The go pedal to the boards and into S.A. at Camerons corner then to QLD and Bedourie before dusk, thats 3 more time zones
Grab more fuel and some food before heading for the NT down the Plenty HWY
Another time zone

It sorta all went a tad pare shaped sometime during the night

My mate driving punched some roos with the ute which wasnt the end of the world but some how managed to get 4 flats quicker than you could blink, that held us up for a bit
Anyway after some stuffing about we pressed on
Another time zone
Staked the claim and kept going for Alice Springs
And returned back to Vic by Monday morning
Another time zone
I dunno how many time zones we crossed but I do recall heading for Alice Springs and going pretty hard to beat the Ford dealer closing for parts but only to miss it by about 4 hours as I kept winding the clock the wrong way with each time zone change

So much confussion and so much worse when your over tired

Got to hand it to Ford Australia, they built a hell of a ute back then

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, ianoz, Lang, PaulFH, asw120

DayLight Saving 25 Sep 2021 11:29 #226043

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 751
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, asw120

DayLight Saving 26 Sep 2021 00:27 #226079

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 399
Make it go forward to the March state election, so we can wave Gladys farewell.

DayLight Saving 26 Sep 2021 11:47 #226091

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 751
ICAC are sniffing around her, So she May not survive that Long, Overnite..
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

DayLight Saving 26 Sep 2021 15:05 #226098

• 600Dodge
The ICAC powers in SA have just been wound right back, no doubt so the cockroach politicians dodge what is coming to them. You might not have long to wait to farewell gladys, that deputy bloke just might be making a move on the top job.

DayLight Saving 26 Sep 2021 18:48 #226104

• overnite
Barilaro, what could possibly go wrong? Snake in the grass springs to mind. I don’t just want the leader gone, I want the government gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

DayLight Saving 26 Sep 2021 19:09 #226107

• 600Dodge
But for what? Surely not labor? Just have a look at victoria.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mairjimmy

DayLight Saving 27 Sep 2021 01:29 #226115

• overnite
NO NO not labor. A good independent, Pauline will get my #1 vote Federal and Latham for state then Liberal Democrats. What’s been done to Australia over this Covid debacle is criminal. Some big $ are being made by some. We will be paying for decades. Strange thing is with both Ruby Princess and the limo driver fiascos, the big inquiry found no one is to blame, (Who’d have thought). I always thought the buck had to stop somewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris

Last edit: by overnite.
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558