Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 08:56 #226170

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 4827
Good correction Wee Allis. I could feel Terry's finger hovering over the delete button.

I think this is probably the most far reaching subject we will confront in our lifetime and naturally worthy of discussion. It certainly is not worth messing with the forum camaraderie by personal confrontation of opposing views. Everyone is entitled to a say even if criticism is just empty hot air without an alternative solution or plan being offered.

So long as comments remain just another log gently placed on the fire and not thrown on showering everyone with sparks we can all bask in the definition of Grumpy Old Men - "Not happy unless complaining"

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, Normanby, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 09:48 #226173

• Bluey60
  • Thank you received: 131
Not only the selfish people who aren’t prepared to do their bit for the common good but the media has a lot to answer for all they seem to do is run one side against the other so all we get is negative news
Don’t get anything about the fact that national council are working together mostly agreeing but like all “committees “there will be different opinions and we can all be very clever with hindsight

There’s my rant of the day I’ll stop now before I fall off my soapbox

Cheers Bluey

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 10:24 #226174

• bparo
  • Thank you received: 285
Getting back on the Daylight Savings topic I was told be an elderly gentleman yesterday that he covers his solar panels with shade cloth in summer "To stop them wearing out". I guess its the 2021 version of curtains fading!
Scary thing was he was dead serious saying the solar panels will last an extra 11.5 years if covered with shade cloth over summer
Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 10:28 #226175

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 859
At least We have this Monday of the Long Weekend to change all our Clocks..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 12:03 #226176

• Lang
I would be really interested in someone opposing daylight saving to put up a list of actual downside effects. Lots of "I don't like it" but little about real problems.

A few of my many pros are:

It makes use of daylight for recreation, work or whatever in the evening rather than sleeping away the morning light.

Saves energy because people use "night time" power such as lights for one hour less.

Fewer accidents are recorded because cars are travelling for one hour more during daylight.

Has economic benefits, particularly in tourist areas, with people using the later nightfall to safely get out and about.

Country kids in particular have the time to play like city kids after getting home instead of the bus arriving near dark.

Crime rates are shown to drop quite considerably in the robbery/break-in type.

Perceived cons

Country people in northern latitudes say it is of little benefit as the daylight does not vary as much as in the south. I see this as dog in the manger as it affects farmers little with their sun time not clock time working day. The tourist areas on the coast benefit.

You lose one hour of sleep on the change over day destroying your circadian rhythm. Give me a break! The same people who regularly go to bed at 9.00pm think nothing of watching a movie once or twice a week that takes them through to 10.00 or 11.00 with the same get up time.

Anyhow, instead of ranting about daylight saving chuck a few real-world things up to either support or shoot down my arguments.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 235mack

Last edit: by Lang.

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 12:16 #226177

• Swishy
  • Swishy's Avatar Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
  • Thank you received: 1957
Fact:
Ppl drive n into the City of Melb travelling East up over the West Gate bridge have the sun risin directly in front of them n cause accidents wen thay can not see blinded by the direct sun light

It Fades the cutins
O.S. Loads can travel from sunup till 7am then the curfew until 9am

LOL

cya
OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 12:32 #226178

• Lang
Swishy where is the one of that last bloke saying at the end of daylight saving "We have just given you one more hour of life"

Just had a look at the first/last light figures for Melbourne for December - the middle daylight saving month. Only about 40 minute change over the whole daylight saving period. On average sunrise is just before 6.00am and sunset is around 8.30pm. First/last light (when aircraft and ships can operate under daylight conditions) are around 30 minutes before and after the actual sunrise/sunset. The claim about getting up in the dark and going to bed in sunshine is BS for 90% of the population.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, wee-allis

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 20:11 #226187

• 600Dodge
  • Thank you received: 170
South Australia gets a public holiday for the start of daylight saving this year

DayLight Saving 28 Sep 2021 23:22 #226193

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 448

Overnight, Well here we go. Your are not only a gun truck driver but also a world re-known health expert. Tell us how would you have handled the treatment of Covid-19, that is so different to the rest of the world and would have given us a better outcome, earlier, with less deaths and saving all that money.

We can all be armchair experts, but as I know so very little about seriously easily transmitted disease, I tend to be guided by those HEALTH experts, who are the ones guiding the Governments, in all states.

Edit:

Overnight, I apologise for being a bit harsh, but I'm sick of people blaming the Governments of all persuasions, in all states, instead of pointing the blame squarely at the selfish individuals who don't care about the population as a whole and don't follow advice and spread this killer all around. That's what is the real problem.

Rather than get into a slanging match, which is not what the forum is for, I’ll just reinterate one of my first points, I wouldn’t have let all the passengers disembark from the Ruby Princess. That would have saved a few deaths. If you wish to believe everything the government tells you is gospel. So be it. Remember the renowned saying, “ I’m from the government, and I’m here to help you. I have a son who is a medical professional, and believe me the general media is only a puppet of the government and doesn’t tell any alternatives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swanny

Last edit: by overnite.

DayLight Saving 29 Sep 2021 06:54 #226194

• Lang
I think the big thing missing in this criticism from many (most) people is they do not or can not differentiate between politicians and public servants.

Politicians come and politicians go but the public service is here forever. Politicians have all the attributes given to them of good bad and ugly but in the end they just set policy with the advice of the public servants. Most ministers have no first hand knowledge of their ministry function, most of them are either lawyers or union hacks.

"Yes, Minister" was not a comedy it was a tragedy closely based on fact.

In evolving operational situations like we have now they are operating completely with the advice of their departments because they personally know nothing about the subject. Where they are failing is to do their job and find the balance between all the different chicks in the nest screaming to be fed. This is where State, Federal and the combined National Cabinets come in.

Each minister has been fed information by supposedly professional (and vastly overpaid) experts. This is often wrong or has a certain agenda pushing the information in a particular direction. On top of this is the huge influence of the party line, political point scoring against the other team and of course their own self-serving re-election.

I would guess most politicians have above average intelligence but there is a huge difference between raw intelligence and worldly smart. Most have no leadership ability, no management ability or the ability to make decisions under pressure.

Nothing will change until Adolf, Benito and Joseph come back from the dead and take a grip of the operation. Personally I would like to stagger on with a bunch of incompetents doing the job and have the ability to kick them out every 4 years to give another group of incompetents a fair share of the ride on the merry-go-round.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.362 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558