Skip to main content

Death of a Landmark...

More
2 years 6 months ago #226364 by hayseed
The Iconic Prince Alfred Bridge at Gundagai is to be Demolished......

aboutregional.com.au/gundagais-historic-...-to-the-water-above/

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, allan, cobbadog, PaulFH, roKWiz, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226383 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Death of a Landmark...
A lotta fire wood to be had there

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226435 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Death of a Landmark...
Another piece of heritage, NSW couldn't be bothered maintaining. It was only a couple of years back we rode across it.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by roKWiz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226442 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Death of a Landmark...
Looks like we will never get to see it. We were to stop over there on one of our trips but got side tracked and we said next time.Wont b e able to get there any time soon so will not get to see it in all its glory.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226446 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Death of a Landmark...
Queensland Railways sell old bridge timbers for large amounts of money......there is a business resawing old bridges at Willawong over the road from my (ex) land ......they export most of the sawn timber to Europe and US,as its very high prices......So I would imagine the bridge in the pics would be sold on tender too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226473 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Death of a Landmark...
John, i doubt if there any Decent Timber In It..
It was Bypassed in 1977 & hasn't had a cent spent on it Since. There was a Tractor Pull earlier this year & Truck with a tractor Hit It , As you Have to drive under it to get to the racecourse. They just crunched a couple spans with an Excavator. Nothing but splinters..

Rockwiz, You'd have no chance Today riding across it..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, roKWiz

More
2 years 6 months ago #226477 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Death of a Landmark...
I could still see a landscaper or architec wanting to sell it off to some poor unsuspecting person who wants the old look that cant be made only found. The fact it might come with white ants doesn't matter.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226557 by roKWiz

John, i doubt if there any Decent Timber In It..
It was Bypassed in 1977 & hasn't had a cent spent on it Since. There was a Tractor Pull earlier this year & Truck with a tractor Hit It , As you Have to drive under it to get to the racecourse. They just crunched a couple spans with an Excavator. Nothing but splinters..

Rockwiz, You'd have no chance Today riding across it..

Ridden a lot worst 'Rock' gardens around the Alpes than that but wouldn't like a 20-30ft tumble to the gorund off the pick a plank.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
2 years 6 months ago #226559 by roKWiz

I could still see a landscaper or architec wanting to sell it off to some poor unsuspecting person who wants the old look that cant be made only found. The fact it might come with white ants doesn't matter.

Do quite a few chimneys' and walk in fireplaces featuring old bridge timbers used as a mantel

Heritage Stonemason
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226562 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Death of a Landmark...
The big beams and piers are generally solid under the grey weathered external.......the old timbers were also saturated in arsenic to stop rot and termites ......the weathered timbers that are splintered are epoxy impregnated to make patterns for upmarket kitchen and benchtops............guy at Willawong was showing me an order he was getting together for an archtect ,cost was over $100,000 ........The timbers are also full of huge steel bolts and straps ,which have to be carefully removed ,no oxy cut,that would spoil the iron stains in the wood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, roKWiz

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds