Skip to main content

Death of a Landmark...

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226569 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Death of a Landmark...
John

I am pretty sure they used creosote not arsenic to protect the timbers, same as all light poles have on their buried section. then I may be wrong.

It goes back to the Greeks and can be found (dark stains) on almost any old wood structures particularly bridges as weathering protection, rot protection and insect protection.

Coal-tar creosote is the most widely used wood treatment today; both industrially, processed into wood using pressure methods such as "full-cell process" or "empty-cell process", and more commonly applied to wood through brushing. In addition to toxicity to fungi, insects, and marine borers, it serves as a natural water repellent. It is commonly used to preserve and waterproof cross ties, pilings, telephone poles, power line poles, marine pilings, and fence posts. Although suitable for use in preserving the structural timbers of buildings, it is not generally used that way because it is difficult to apply. There are also concerns about the environmental impact of the secretion of creosote preservative into the aquatic ecosystem.

When pine logs, fencing and poles started replacing hardwood in Australia in the 60/70 period they were treated with a green copper arsenate but this proved too dangerous, particularly if people used the wood to burn so the green treatment of pine logs today is an updated formula of various chemical salts.

Most pressure-treated lumber sold before January 2004 was treated with chromated copper arsenate (CCA for short), which contains arsenic. ... Manufacture of CCA-treated wood for residential use was halted December 31, 2003
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226571 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Death of a Landmark...
LangIf it can be applied by brush, what is the difficulty in applying it, as quoted in your article?

My Father and his mates used to make "Creosote" by mixing equal quantities of sump oil and I think it was kerosine.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 6 months ago #226573 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Death of a Landmark...
I think because it burns if you get it on you and is slightly carcinogenic. Easy to apply to the timber before assembly but difficult in small completed structures such as buildings or the chippies would be handling coated wood. Can't be painted successfully afterwards which most buildings require. Not nearly as bad with bridges and light poles where pretreatment is easy and even afterwards on large outside areas.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226630 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Death of a Landmark...

The big beams and piers are generally solid under the grey weathered external.......the old timbers were also saturated in arsenic to stop rot and termites ......the weathered timbers that are splintered are epoxy impregnated to make patterns for upmarket kitchen and benchtops............guy at Willawong was showing me an order he was getting together for an archtect ,cost was over $100,000 ........The timbers are also full of huge steel bolts and straps ,which have to be carefully removed ,no oxy cut,that would spoil the iron stains in the wood.

Clients seem to love leaving all those bent bolts and straps on the timbers. Gives it charming character they say.

I remember restoring the flagged verandahs of the old St Aubins Inn at Scone a few years back. All the original posts were rotted at the bottoms. Owner wanted new but we came up with making plywood casting boxes over the damaged ends and added an epoxy filler mixed with matched hardwood shavings to repair each post.

Similar thing can be done when a mistake is made when carving stone only using colour matched fine sandstone dust to the epoxy.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

More
2 years 5 months ago #227535 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Death of a Landmark...
Today's the Day..

https://live-production.wcms.abc-cdn.net.au/81a98946d23229dbf2c532e02d3bd774?impolicy=wcms_crop_resize&cropH=3061&cropW=4592&xPos=0&yPos=0&width=862&height=575

www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-03/gundagai-...awRUY_JoxCseFQv4O1r8

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227539 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Death of a Landmark...

Today's the Day..

https://live-production.wcms.abc-cdn.net.au/81a98946d23229dbf2c532e02d3bd774?impolicy=wcms_crop_resize&cropH=3061&cropW=4592&xPos=0&yPos=0&width=862&height=575

www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-03/gundagai-...awRUY_JoxCseFQv4O1r8

That must be the decc machine, there must also be a support machine.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227543 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Death of a Landmark...
Sad day but looks as if it was needed to be done.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227548 by hayseed

Sad day but looks as if it was needed to be done.

Should've been done years Ago. A Big Flood would have it all spread  from Gundagia all the way to Mildura..!

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227555 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Death of a Landmark...
Cant unscrambell the eggs now 

Paul 

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #227697 by hayseed

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds