Skip to main content

Off Topic: Workers leaving Ford Factory Geelong

More
2 years 4 months ago #228846 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Off Topic:
This is where it all stems from.

1. Teaching Math In 1950..

A logger sells a truckload of timber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit? $____

2. Teaching Math In 1970 . . . A logger sells a truckload of timber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit? $___

3. Teaching Math In 1990... A logger sells a truckload of timber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit? __Yes or __No

4. Teaching Math In 2000...

A logger sells a truckload of timber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 2020 A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?There are no wrong answers, feel free to express your feelings e.g, anger, anxiety, inadequacy, helplessness etc. Should you require debriefing at conclusion of exam there are counsellors available to assist you adjust back into the real world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, cobbadog, Dave_64, eerfree, Morris, overlander, husky, Southbound, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228849 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Off Topic:
Lang Yes, feelings are all that are considered these days.

This reminds me of a spoof I saw some years ago about the entrance exam for an Irish University. It is not really on topic but here goes:-

Q. Can you explain Einsteins' theory of Relativity? Answer Yes or No.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 4 months ago #228858 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Off Topic:
Morris, do what I do, weed with Roundup.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander

More
2 years 4 months ago #228860 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Off Topic:
Cobbadog A year or two ago the press said that Roundup was terrible stuff and was going to be outlawed, so I immediately went out and bought a gallon / 5 litres /4 litres (whatever the metric equivalent is. As with most manufacturers, they have reduced the size and increased the price) so that I would not run out. Our weeds are obviously not as determined as the weeds in Coopernooky, so I have most of it left. A few months ago, I mixed some up in a garden sprayer that the previous owner left here and sprayed around edges and the cover of the fireplug in the nature strip out the front, as well as around the watermeter in the front lawn. The overspray is pretty untidy and I copped the rounds of the kitchen from Mrs.Morris. Oh, well, it gives her something else to criticise me for. I will have to find something with a finer or more controllable spray and have another go. I might try it on the "jungle" in the backyard because from previous experience I know that it takes three days on my knees weeding it all.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 4 months ago #228866 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Off Topic:
When I was at Penske's I used to collect engine parts for a chum who taught mechanics at TAFE- I got him 6v199 water pumps, unit injectors, cylinder heads, turbos etc and usually 2 of each so he could cut one up with his class. Turns out some of his class only turned up at some time during the day to get recorded as having attended so their welfare payments would not be interrupted. When it come to the theory and practical tests these 'students' didn't do too good so my chum failed them. BIG No No. Not allowed to fail anyone. Messes up the targets and funding if you have people not passing. My chum quit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, V8Ian, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 years 4 months ago #228872 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Off Topic:
Isnt monanto(the roundup people) owned by Pfizer?

More
2 years 4 months ago #228880 by cobbadog
If they didn't fail then the new updated result should be "didn't pass" this is a more political correct way of saying you looser.

The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, oliver1950

More
2 years 4 months ago #228882 by cobbadog
Morris, I use it for around the bottom of the fences so the mower handle doesn't rub against the colour bond fence and wake the dead up. Also around the fruit trees out to the drip line. Mowing is then a breeze and the only edges I have to do are the edges of the top side driveway and I use a Victa tilt-a-cut with a solid disc for that. Done in a minute. The whipper snipper does come out every now and then to do along the back of the kerb when the buffalo gets out of control.
Well thats the gardening segment done!

The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander

More
2 years 4 months ago #228885 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Off Topic:

If they didn't fail then the new updated result should be "didn't pass" this is a more political correct way of saying you looser.
The official terminology is, Not Yet Competent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander

More
2 years 4 months ago #228891 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Off Topic:
Even that is offensive . I saw a school report for grade 4. No marks, just things like "Exceeding the Average" but the bottom possible mark was "Still Developing"
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds