Skip to main content

Off Topic: Workers leaving Ford Factory Geelong

More
2 years 4 months ago #228898 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Off Topic:
Any of the social media is only any good to me when it's social, the moment its not I dont participate, after all I survived a long time with out it and did okay

I only belong to two forums these days, did belong to maybe 5 once but as my needs have changed and forums have changed so have I

I feel it's up to us to police ourselves with social media

That been said young people of today have had social media their whole lives so it might be a little different for them

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228899 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Off Topic:
Disaster Strikes Queensland Kids

From today's Courier Mail referring to the international calamity of the latest Apple iPad being sold out early. Half a page with a photo of 8 year old Ruby with a bunch of colouring sticks in front of her. Her mum should give her a history lesson and tell how in the olden days they had similar plain sticks that you could write with and even fancy plastic ones that had ink coming out the end on a little ball

Telsyte manager Foad Fadaghi said of the shortages "For a lot of people it will be a big surprise that they can't buy an iPad. Its a bit of a brutal (italics mine) way to find out about supply shortages"

Brisbane mother Melanie Neal-Read whose daughter Ruby, 8, needs an iPad for year 3[/i] said she did not realize the technology on next year's book list would be in such short supply. I just thought I could duck into the shops in early January and pick one up when I was getting school shoes.

(My Note: there are any number of older and second hand notebooks that will do the job)

Must have, grade 3! these f....g things cost $700. You can get the bottom of the line one with the same 64gb for about $450 but can you imagine Ruby's stress and shame arriving at school with such a cheap Charlie bit of kit.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, oliver1950

More
2 years 4 months ago #228900 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Off Topic:
Amen to that!

More
2 years 4 months ago #228908 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Off Topic:
Lang is that like saying "yeah / no" ?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228912 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Off Topic:
The other kids might call poor little Ruby "Povvo" (Impoverished?) That was the term for poor people when my kids were at school. There was no name for it when I was at school, nobody had anything. Although, a boy from a farming family whose car was a mid 1950's Daimler, told my Sister that he would die (of shame, I suppose) if his family car was a 1939 Austin like ours.

Regarding writing instruments, I remember my elder Daughter being very proud of gaining her "Pen Licence" so she was allowed to write with a ballpoint pen instead of a pencil. Her Grandmother still talks about writing on a piece of slate with a stylus.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander

More
2 years 4 months ago #228916 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Off Topic:
I try to avoid pens if I can, I'm a pencil and boily's chalk man to the end but I do love the marker pens with the really long thin tip for marking through deep holes.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228927 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Off Topic:
Apparently the Americans spent Millions developing a Biro that would work in space, the Russians used a pencil!!!
Bob.

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 3 months ago #229907 by cobbadog
Driving styles have not changed very much in Adelaide since then PDU. Our last visit we took a taxi ride, Toyota Prius, across townand the driver of this silent moving rocket was driven like he was still in Bombay.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229912 by Morris
Well, ALL the employees have left now!
he 1957 shot shows a Holden, a couple of Bedfords, a Vanguard and several other makes. The small number of Fords might help to explain why Ford followed General Motors into stopping manufacturing in Australia, after pocketing many millions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies.

My father was embarrassed and thought he was very cheeky in turning up in a (rented) Pontiac at the Ford museum in USA.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 3 months ago #229913 by PDU
I spent some time driving cabs (pre influx of Indian drivers, who seem to be everywhere nowadays!?) and still use one of my taxi driving stances when in the city - right foot for accelerator and left foot for the brake, hovering over the brake ready for action in heavy traffic. Many can't handle it, but it reduces the reaction time significantly. :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds