Skip to main content

Tenuous Towing

More
2 years 3 months ago #229529 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Tenuous Towing
Here in Victoria we have maximum towing allowances on cars and, I think, all other vehicles. We have to attach the safety chains by load-rated shackles that have to have their load rating cast into them and each shackle must be certified to take the total weight of the trailer and its load, in case the other shackle or chain become disconnected but nobody appears to care very much how the towbar is connected to the vehicle or how the safety chains or the drawbar are attached to the trailer. The regulations must have been drawn up by the classic "cardigan wearing, Latte sipping Public Servant." Rust? what is rust? Too light? what does too light mean?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229537 by daveus6
Replied by daveus6 on topic Tenuous Towing
Tow bars are being inspected here in NSW and they must be load rated with the tag spot welded to it which with my Hiace is a joke. The hand book claims the Hiace has a braked towing capacity of 1500 kgs and a ball weight of 150 kgs. Problem is thatg my genuine Toyota fitted tow bar suits a Hiluix and the tag reads far higher ratings. Rated shackles are the law and when the caravan is inspected for rego shackles, gas bottle/s lights, tyres, electric brakes, hand brake and your rear view mirrors are all checked.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229559 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Tenuous Towing
Daveus6 if that is really you. (no disrespect intended but I just read Cobbadog's comment that his post has been sent as coming from you)
Here in Victoria, "Light Vehicles" (that is the regulator's term to extract more registration money from car owners) under the GVM of two tonnes only need inspecting when they change ownership. Privately owned trailers, caravans, or anything else that is towed NEVER needs inspecting.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 months ago #229561 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Tenuous Towing
Cobba, your inspector seems to be fairly pedantic and could well be over stepping the mark in a couple of spots.

The mirrors on the towing vehicle have absolutely no bearing on the legality or otherwise of the caravan/trailer meeting the requirements for registration in NSW. Yes the driver needs to have mirrors which give a clear view down both sides of the van, but that is not covered in the requirements for the van itself.

As to shackles, VSB1 although gives certain recommendations, it states that they "must be fit for purpose" and the responsibility stays with the operator, so unbranded or unmarked shackles are hard to confirm as complying, but still not illegal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 3 months ago #229565 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Tenuous Towing
Seams to me it wasnt t that long ago mirrors on the outside of a car were options

Have certainly seen the first Commodores and XD Falcons with only one or none mirrors

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 3 months ago #229571 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Tenuous Towing
I really don't mind how tough he is as I don't want to miss something that is worn or wrong so all good. As for extension mirrors for the towing of the van. I can't see passed the wide arse caravan van now without them so I have to have them fitted to take it anywhere and be able to change lanes and more importantly, back the van into and up the driveway.
Now you must have extra mirrors if you stand at the back corner of the caravan and cannot clearly see the driver, makes sense to me. If this can't be done you can be charged. This applies to both near and off sides of the vehicle. Things do change and change quickly too. I just read that in Tassie towing a caravan has a speed restriction of 85kph I think was mentioned.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229573 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Tenuous Towing
I dunno about now,but NSW used to be 90kph limit towing a car trailer......the speedboat guy next to my shed at Oxley was driving down to some Echuca race ,and got pulled up doing about 125kph.......which he assumed was less than 30 over ,so just a fine..........nope he was 35 over,and in loads of bother.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 months ago #229580 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Tenuous Towing
Now that was pushing the boundaries a bit. When towing here in NSW, Qld, S.A. and in Vic I have always sat on 100 kph with Police cars heading towards me and no other vehicles in site plus comming up behind me and passing me in the 110 zones with no problems from the law so far. The last run North to Nambucca to get Dee's cataract done I even had a RMS ute drive up beside me while I was sitting on my 100 kph they slowly went passed bu stayed level studying my WDH, safety chains, bow shackles and light plug then they slowly went passed me and into the distance then chucked a U turn and went back. I bet they were online checking weights of the Hiace and the caravan to get an idea if I was close to legal. Weigh bridge gives me the ok with the van loaded up and is 10kgs under ball weight and around 100 kgs on the braked towing capacity.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229590 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Tenuous Towing
Cobba, this must do this and and must do that

Is it law ? Or is it just Chinese whisper ?

I dunno how anyone could know that someone was to know what any vehicle over taking them was looking at as they are over taking them, we could speculate and guess and surmise but I doubt anyone knows

Dunno this quoting of rules in this environment is enough of a reason on its own for me to stay away from shows and clubs, sort of takes the fun right out of it

Im more of a person that just wings it and has bucket loads of adventure doing just that

Never been booked for loading wrong or having the incorrect rated ropes or chains or straps or so on

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the rules for towing shackles "must be fit for purpose" so all this who ha about numbers cast into the shackles and so may well be just that

The ownus is on the transport department to prove that the shackles tow bars or what ever arent fit for purpose

Every tow bar whether its a ring feeder on a road train or a hitch on pedal car is rated by the manufacturer not the department of transport, government departments in this butt covering world are extremely hesitant to be actually responsible either by saying something is or isnt built correctly
They themselves say that "it is up to the manufacturer to say something is suitable or not"

So if I was to take any old D shackle and stamp a number on it the transport department wont question that

Not having a go at you Cobba at all and I hope it comes across that way but this quoting of rules from people who dont write the rule book has firy ones on it for me

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 months ago #229592 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Tenuous Towing
Mrs m80

It is all open to interprutation

one copper may say OK n thenex copper says no

n if U talk m out of booking U for 'X' reason ........... they'll find something else to book U 4

All to do with maken it there worth while

LOL

U cant win

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.670 seconds