Skip to main content

LUCAS GA4 MAGNETO

More
2 years 3 months ago #229555 by cobbadog
LUCAS GA4 MAGNETO was created by cobbadog
First surprise is that it is a GA4 and not a GU4 but that is how things go. Initial cleaning up is how I worked out that the raised section on the points cover is for the cut out wire. I have the same problem with this cap and that is one of the screws for the HT lead is stripped on the head and a screw driver just jumps around. (I think this is how someone discovered the security screws with the one way drive for security screens.) Looks as if the date code reads 10/25 I will get back to it and see what I find.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #229562 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic LUCAS GA4 MAGNETO
This could interest you. Basically what we did with the ITALA DU4 magneto in Siberia.

www.mg-cars.org.uk/news/news243.html

This is the sort of thing you do is it not?

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #229563 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic LUCAS GA4 MAGNETO
This is a generic Lucas magneto maintenance article but very good tips and information.
www.wikkeltechniek.nl/image/lucas%20pdf/29.pdf

Just as an aside the GA4 seems to have been mainly marketed under the BTH brand. Any British aircraft of the era up until the 60's had BTH magnetos (Tiger Moth, Auster etc). The bloody things drove you insane particularly if the impulse unit stopped working (only on one mag). The engine had to be doing around 300 rpm for a normal magneto to work properly so you can imagine how many pulls at the prop it took some poor bugger with a dud impulse before he jagged enough spark to fire a cylinder. I swung an Auster over 20 times once and was about to have a heart attack when it suddenly fired.

The American Bendix magnetos were so much better.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229575 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic LUCAS GA4 MAGNETO
The Army had lots of VolksWagen powered stuff ,the engines had Scintilla mags in place of the distributor,and no impulse coupling.......most were sold completely unused ,as they were impossible to start with the little short starting handle supplied.

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds