Skip to main content

Emissions controls

More
2 years 3 months ago #230266 by jeffo
Emissions controls was created by jeffo
Modern diesels have bucket loads of wonderful things to reduce emissions.
Most that I’ve owned either don’t work or cause the engine to perform so poorly you’d have to wonder about the original concept.
A classic would be the DPF burn. Your cat collects all the nasties and then periodically the ecu dumps a heap of fuel to start a bonfire to burn it all off. Anyone who has seen a Hilux, Prado etc trailing a plume of white smoke must be wondering about the benefits of this idea. Toyota even had to add an extra injector to ensure the fire was hot enough.
But I digress.
Modern electronic injection systems fire a tiny shot (pilot injecti9n) before the main hit. Again this is an emissions reduction concept just like EGR, Adblu and so on.
As I drive a Prado with the known eggshell pistons, I wondered if this pilot injection would cause detonation.
The designers of the system, Denso say nothing to see here, it’s all about reducing emissions.
My engine has been tuned, EGR off, pilot injection off, puts out more hp than a 70 series and it runs more quietly than before. No cold start knock.
Any thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230280 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Emissions controls
I'd love to shut up the injector rattle in my 70 series, but it's already been tuned and does go like a rocket with great fuel economy. (bought it like that)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 years 3 months ago #230281 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Emissions controls
I did some work on a 70 that had no injector rattle this week, when the diesel blew up he repowered with an LSA, diesel dilema solved.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230304 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Emissions controls
Jarrod most tuners will turn off the pilot injection, makes life easier for them. You could ask the tuner if that’s what he did.
But Denso say the pilot injection makes her run more quietly, was certainly not in my case.
Perhaps another idea that worked on the test bed but not so much in real life.
Wonder if modern big stuff, Cummins, Detroit etc has this same concept
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds