Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to open bonnet on 1996 Mercedes Benz 30 Apr 2022 10:12 #234637

• Morris
  • Morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 930
Does anybody know how to open the bonnet of a 1996 W210 Mercedes car when the cable will not release it? Bouncing on front of bonnet while mate pulls lever does not release it. Next thing to try when mate's hoist is free in a week or so, is to put car up in the air and try to get it from underneath but probably will not be easy. Last resort might be to cut hole in Bonnet with angle grinder but that is a bit desperate! Anybody want to buy a cheap Merc.?
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to open bonnet on 1996 Mercedes Benz 30 Apr 2022 17:33 #234651

• 180wannabe
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Morris. I'm not sure on year/model, but my neighbor had a similar problem with his Mercedes car, and as you say, pressing on the bonnet to take weight off the catch didn't help. The neighbor thought he had left a screwdriver on the top inner edge of a mudguard, which he thought must have created excess pressure against the latch and it wouldn't release. He ended up taking the car to the local crash repairer to make it right.
I'm afraid i'm really not sure, but i have a feeling they went in through the LHF wheelarch, but i can't be sure on that, that is just a vague recollection i have from what is a few years ago now.
Hopefully the use of your mate's hoist makes things more accessible and clearer to see what is required. Sorry i can't give you a definite answer. Good luck.

Brett.

How to open bonnet on 1996 Mercedes Benz 30 Apr 2022 17:51 #234652

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 1319
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

How to open bonnet on 1996 Mercedes Benz 02 May 2022 08:29 #234685

• Morris
  • Morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 930
180wannabe, thank you, I will try that if Hayseed's video does not help.

Hayseed, thank you that car appears to be the same as mine except for the mesh grille. I had no idea there was an inspection/access plate underneath. The car in the demo may be Left hand drive so when I can get it onto Mate's hoist, I will look at other side as well as that is the side that is sticking.

Many thanks for your help, both of you. Morris.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558