• Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #52002 by
Replied by on topic Re: Trucking The early Days

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #52003 by sar77
Replied by sar77 on topic Re: Trucking The early Days
Hi old dog,
Loading trucks in the old days seemed to be a challenge. My dad gave me these pictures of him loading sand for the narrows bridge in Perth. Then they went on double production need more sand.

• Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #52004 by
Old Dog - That's a Cat 944 .. still a rare machine, anyway. I have only seen one for sale, in the last 15 yrs.

Sar77 - I recall that Bell Bros carted most of the sand for the Narrows Bridge .. were K&O subbies to Bells, or was it that the Clough engaged as many subbies as they could find, themselves?

Most people don't know, that because the bridge was built on deep mud over clay .. over 1,000,000 tons of sand was stockpiled on the bridge support areas to squeeze the water out of the mud, and stiffen it up to make it support the bridge.

The bridge site had over 80 feet of mud sitting on 40 feet of sand, before the clay started. Maunsell, the bridge engineers, used 31" hollow steel piles with conical noses, driven in by the piledriver dropping it's hammer on the nose of the pile, inside it.

I can't recall exactly how long the piles were, but I seem to remember they reached into the clay for some depth, besides penetrating the mud and sand.

Once the piles were full depth, they were filled with concrete. Once all the piles were in and the bridge was well under way, the massive sand stockpile was removed.
I never did find where all that sand went to! I guess the building industry used a lot of it for sand pads and fill.

I well remember that massive pile of sand, and pictures of it featured in the West Australian newspaper. It must have been around 150' (45M) high.
What I do remember well, was that the day the bridge was opened (13th November, 1959) , it was our annual school outing to the Zoo! Because we came in from Wanneroo, we took the long around, via the Causeway, on the way to the Zoo, in the morning .. but we got to ride across the new Narrows bridge in the afternoon, only a couple of hours after it was opened!!
A big thrill for us primary schoolkids! .. but it meant we got back to school faster!! .. :'( :'( :'( ;D ;D ;D

That Hough loader looks like it's on demo from ISAS, with the dealer plates fitted? 8-)

Cheers - Ron.

• Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #52005 by
Loading at South Bulli

More
12 years 10 months ago #52006 by rusted
Replied by rusted on topic Re: Trucking The early Days
Great pics, learned to operate loaders on a 944A. The loader in the last pic is a 966B by the looks.

• Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #52007 by
is a 966B by the looks.

It's a 980-

Time to create page: 0.598 seconds