Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bentley ute

Bentley ute 02 Aug 2011 09:36 #59584

• Roderick Smith
  • Roderick Smith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 197
This was a novelty item being auctioned at 2011 Melbourne Motor Show.
I have a history (and a better photo) in a newspaper clipping, currently buried.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Bentley ute 03 Aug 2011 14:25 #59585

• Roderick Smith
Here is the text and picture from Tues.12.7.11 'Progress Leader', one of a chain of free suburban newspapers. This one circulates in the plush eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Roderick B Smith

Here's something you don't see everyday. Shannons auctioned a one-of-a-kind Bentley ute in conjunction with the Australian international Motor Show in Melbourne on Sunday. Based on a 1956 Bentley S1 Saloon, the aristocratic bright yellow Bentley with its bespoke timber load bed comes with a blue-blood history, both before and after its transformation from toffy transport to rural Aussie workhorse. It was purchased new in London from Jack Barclay Limited in Mayfair by Charles Lloyd-Jones, the then-owner of the David Jones retail chain, who later sold it to John Vawser Motors of NSW. It was then was acquired by the vendor, The Right Honourable 6th Earl of Stradbroke Keith Rous, who made the eccentric decision to convert it into a utility, with the work carried out by George Williams of Camperdown, NSW. This year the Earl donated the Bentley Ute to Melbourne's Trinity Grammar School, requesting that it be "used by the school, or to be sold to donate funds to the school". The ute is being offered for sale with no reserve and was expected to sell for between $22 000 and $32 000.

Last edit: by Roderick Smith.

Re: Bentley ute 03 Aug 2011 22:05 #59586

• bparo
  • Thank you received: 106
I saw that years ago -must have been the late 1990's early 2000's. Tried to convince the wife it would be a good daily driver. Pity I didn't find out it was for sale until ater the event (and before it was posted here)
Hiding in the shed covered in grease and muck - want a coffee?

Re: Bentley ute 04 Aug 2011 13:39 #59587

• Roderick Smith
I can see why the conversion was done. When the Silver Shadow was introduced, it was unpopular with graziers: it could fit only two sheep on the back seat; the Silver Cloud could hold three.

I have a photo of a Rolls Royce ute, based on an older chassis, which was a regular at rallies.
On another occasion I met the owner of a Rolls Royce 'woodie' station wagon (station sedan, or even 'shooting brake' in fraffly vernacular). This was at a picnic in the Dandenongs; he didn't go to the meetings or rallies which I had been attending (taken by my first cousin once removed, who had a V12 Phantom, which could drag off anything on the limited amount of South-eastern Fwy open in the mid 1960s).

There are lots of Rolls Royce hearses, from a range of eras.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: by Roderick Smith.

Re: Bentley ute, now a RR ute. 06 Aug 2011 09:56 #59588

• Roderick Smith
These two were taken at a Rolls Royce Club rally at Hallam in 1964 or 65. I believe that the farm became the site of the freeway bypass of Dandenong.

One is clearly a ute. I was tempted to place the other in the street rod / hot rod thread, but I guess that it is restoration of a saloon body, and not conversion to a Rolls Royce Mr Whippy van.

Roderick B Smith

Re: Bentley ute 06 Aug 2011 10:21 #59589

Does anyone know anything about the bloke (and the car) that runs around Darwin in a 1924 or '26 RR, that has an all-polished aluminium body, with exposed rivets, like an aircraft?
I saw it parked in the street several times in July 2008 and July 2009, but never actually saw anyone driving it, nor did I see the owner, either.
In the best fashion, every time I saw it, despite being on holidays, I never had my camera with me.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558