11 years 4 months ago #98954 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Ambulances
Another QATB rail ambulance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #98955 by oyamum
Replied by oyamum on topic Re: Ambulances

Hey BK,
Hope they secure the Stretcher Trolley very securely.......

It's got "The Keystone Cops" written all over It :D :D

im not sure if the engine would have enough power to make the stretcher roll off the back under hard acceleration nor would the brakes work well enough to cause it to roll forward under heavy braking ;D ;D

but then again if it was fitted with a jake brake :o

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #98956 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Ambulances
Those Queensland rail ambulances were important: outback roads were often impassable (either closed by flooding, or too gluggy when wet). IIRC there was a similar vehicle on one of the Tasmanian mining railways: there was no road.

Enclosed:
* a preserved ambulance in Victoria, which has appeared in another thread.
911013Su-BER18-Emerald-PBR_OldeTime-ambulance-RSmith

* a preserved Humber ambulance, at railway-centenary celebrations in Feilding (NZ).
081026Su-P1050780-FeildingNZ-1949Humber-ambulance-RSmith

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Roderick Smith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AB120

More
11 years 4 months ago #98957 by Johnm020
Replied by Johnm020 on topic Re: Ambulances

Hey BK,
Hope they secure the Stretcher Trolley very securely.......

It's got "The Keystone Cops" written all over It :D :D

This dates from the start of motor vehicles into the QATB and is most likely from Brisbane. The wheeled stretcher on the back is a litter which requires a 2 man crew, 1 to push and 1 to pull.
When motor vehicles were introduced in Brisbane it carried the litter and 2 bearers to the patient, unloaded the litter and returned to the station for another litter the 2 bearers then pushed the patient to hospital on the litter.

More
11 years 4 months ago #98958 by 48Bedford
Replied by 48Bedford on topic Re: Ambulances
Roderick

Enclosed:
* a preserved ambulance in Victoria, which has appeared in another thread.
911013Su-BER18-Emerald-PBR_OldeTime-ambulance-RSmith

This is the ambo from Goldsmith
Thanks
-D

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #98959 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Ambulances
1926 Citroen Rail Ambulance
PS And I got the new Photbucket to work with no problems but not as easy to use as the old one

Ian
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Rusty Engines.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #98960 by Roderick Smith
I have exhausted my collection of ambulances, but may find more from time to time when hunting for something else. If other members have also run out, at least everyone is now alert to grab a photo as the opportunity arises (likewise hearses). Luckily, the site which I mentioned earlier has covered a huge range (including aircraft).
< www.colacambulance.com/ambulance%201961%20-%201970.htm> ;

Second section: qrig is a Queensland-railway yahoogroup, and the people there have provided some excellent links on the railway ambulances in Qld: there were about 27.
www.kenssectioncarshed.org/id74.htm (very comprehensive)
www.kenssectioncarshed.org/id122.htm
www.modeltrainsnthings.com/queensland-railway-ambulances/
www.wheelsonsteel.com.au/showthread.php?tid=5127 (photos lapsed via photobucket)
www.wheelsonsteel.com.au/showthread.php?tid=2863

That also widened the field to hospital trains: QR had one; VR had one. These were for transport of injured passengers, rather than for mobile operation wards.
I do have various photos of hospital & healthcare ships and trains: mobile clinics rather than emergency treatment/transport.
Enclosed is one which I found on the hard drive already. MV 'Friendship' on a river in Bangladesh. I can't find my notes on it, or anything by googling. The vessel must have been international aid, but I don't know how operation is funded, or who staffs it.
021227F-Bangladesh-MV_Friendship-RSmith

What I did find at Wikipedia: 'Rainbow Warrior II' was retired on 16.8.11. The ship was sold to Friendship, a Bangladesh NGO, and will be refitted to serve as a hospital ship. The new name will be 'Rongdhonu', Bengali for rainbow.

I'll have to hunt for the Tasmanian rail ambulance (or more), but not today.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #98961 by Roderick Smith
The trigger photo is not mine. It was taken by a pioneer railway photographer, J L N Southern (whose photos appear in many publications).
The prolific author of Tasmanian railway history, Lou Rae, has used it in two of his books, and has mentioned the vehicle in a third.
A 'History of railways and tramways on Tasmania's west coast'.
The 'Emu Bay Railway; VDL company to Pasminco' (1991 & centenary editions)
A 'Window on Rosebery'.
The rail ambulance was operated by Montagu Medical Union, and ran over Emu Bay Railway (1067 mm gauge) to link Rosebery and Tullah with the hospital at Zeehan. It was withdrawn after a road was built to Tullah.

I believed that the vehicle was identified wrongly as a Ford, posted a scan this morning, and now have an answer from Lang in the quiz thread: it was a 1927 Chevrolet.
I will contact the author to pass on the correction, and may yet get approval to post it again.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #98962 by Roderick Smith
I have three more rail-based ones since the previous post.
Montagu had the 1067 mm gauge one on Emu Bay Rail, identified already. It also had a 610 mm gauge on on the branch connecting Farrell Siding to Tullah.

QR also had a 610 mm gauge one, on Innisfail Tramway.

I have been alerted to another 1067 mm gauge one, formerly with Silverton Tramway, and now in the railway museum at Broken Hill.

Even as I was assembling the text, this modern one appeared in Sat.1.12.12 Melbourne 'Herald Sun'.

MOTORCYCLE ambulances on the road under a $3 million trial are unable to go over kerbs, have run out of battery charge on the way to attending the critically ill, and must slow to walking speed to clear speed humps. Eight of the 12 specially trained Paramedic Motorcycle Unit members are refusing to work until the safety issues and pay negotiations are sorted. The motorbikes, a pre-election promise of the Baillieu Government, were billed to cut response times in the CBD and free up stretcher ambulances. But the ambulance union says the two 500cc Piaggio three-wheeled motorbikes have been at the mechanics more than they've been on the road, after being slapped with nine health and safety Provisional Improvement Notices this year. For the first seven months of the year the bikes had no automatic vehicle locator, meaning they were invisible to the dispatch system. The tracking system has been partly repaired, allowing the paramedics to be tracked for part of the day. "It's a $3 million trial, but we're sitting wasted because they can't see us to know what job we're closest to," one paramedic said. The complaints come amid enterprise bargaining negotiations. The bikes "bottom out" when going over anything higher than ankle height, and speed humps must be tackled at walking pace. The bikes have now been fitted with two batteries after electrical problems caused them to quickly go flat and leave paramedics stranded on the way to jobs. Ambulance Victoria's general manager of regional services, Tony Walker, acknowledged there were problems, but said the concept worked.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 3 months ago #98963 by Roderick Smith
In keeping with mobile clinics as well as emergency-care and patient-transport vehicles.

This was found and posted by 'Swishy' in a different thread.

Roderick B Smith

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds