Skip to main content

Ambulances

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #98964 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Ambulances
Serendipity: I was hunting for a photo of an icecream van (not found yet), and reached this ambulance photo from the same contributor. He didn't supply a better view of the one to the left.

Emerald (Vic.): 1962 VW ambulance at a PBR Olde Time Festival. Sun.3.12.00. (David White)

Service life: Navy dockyard 1965-76; Upwey St John 1976-99.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago #98965 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Ambulances
Az Google az me friend = Smore Bullanz

1923 Ford outside the Old Melbourne Hospital Lonsdale Street

Civil Ambulance and Transport Brigade service vehicle - training exercise
Dated: 1923

Ambulance, 1930
New South Wales Railway Ambulance Corp Transport vehicle

Railway Ambulance Corp wagon
Dated: 1890

Ambulance Tram, c.1915
Ambulance Trams - used to convey wounded military personnel from Woolloomooloo Wharf to Randwick Military Hospital

1957 Ford Mainline V8 ambulance. Originally operated by the Snowy Mountains Authority and stationed at Adaminaby in NSW

S.A. Civil Ambulance Vehicle Chev 4. 1926

Police Ambulance C1916

Ambulance Station Melbourne 1954

Ambulance vehicle parked near a Royal Flying Doctor's plane

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #98966 by Roderick Smith
They're not all white. This one was posted by a different forum member to the set covering the recent Geelong rally. It helps expand this thread too.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 2 months ago #98967 by cymro
Replied by cymro on topic Re: Ambulances
HERS ANOTHER AMBULANCE FOR YOU .REGO NO WL043
ROD

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98968 by Roderick Smith
That was yet another excellent edition. Quite apart from the vehicles, the series has covered major changes in social conditions, and in the garb and role of the operators.
Here is one from 1967: A St John ambulance on standby during a Moomba procession in Melbourne.
From this angle, I can only guess: possibly Morris, possibly Austin, and I would have a hope of getting the model.

This morning, I had only the link. This afternoon, I have had a high-resolution version posted by Mal Row, a prolific contributor to the yahoo group tramsdownunder.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 2 months ago #98969 by Paul McCurley
Replied by Paul McCurley on topic Re: Ambulances

Is the MASH reference on the older one just for fun, or had it been used as a film prop somewhere/sometime?

Roderick B Smith

Roderick,
The Jeep originally servied in the Bourke District Ambulance and was one of the first 4WD ambulances in use in Australia. Some time after service it was used for a few Variety Club bashes, which is when it acquired it's MASH livery.

11 years 2 months ago #98970 by
Replied by on topic Re: Ambulances
Last time i went through Dalby there were one of them Jeep ambulances at the truck wreckers. Looked to be all there :)

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98971 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: Ambulances

That was yet another excellent edition. Quite apart from the vehicles, the series has covered major changes in social conditions, and in the garb and role of the operators.
Here is one from 1967: A St John ambulance on standby during a Moomba procession in Melbourne.
From this angle, I can only guess: possibly Morris, possibly Austin, and I would have a hope of getting the model.

This morning, I had only the link. This afternoon, I have had a high-resolution version posted by Mal Row, a prolific contributor to the yahoo group tramsdownunder.

Roderick B Smith

Roderick, I think this ambulance might be based on a Morris Commercial PV chassis. PV stood for Parcel Van and the model was built from 1939 to 1953. I think they used a version of the 2.05 litre ohv 4 cylinder engine as used in the LC, LC3 and LC4 30 cwt trucks.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98972 by fageol100
After the Morris Commercial PV ended production in 1953 came the Morris LD models, which I think used the 2.2 litre ohv Austin A70 motor. The pick up truck is the first style. The pear shaped grille also featured on the small Morris Commercial J and JB vans and the FVS/FVO 5 ton forward control trucks that used the Willenhall steel cab used by the later Series III Austin/Morris forward control trucks. The later versions were badged Austin, Morris and later BMC. There was also a diesel version of the BMC 2.2 litre engine on offer.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 2 months ago #98973 by fageol100

Later version of the Morris LD.

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds