Skip to main content

Icecream (& other) vendor vans

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #100985 by Swishy
thisn we packed n chained on a container flat rack n sent to NuuZeelund

Wot can U tell uz bout the one twaz stored @ Bridge rd & River St Richmond..........twazit an ol Tram depot??

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Swishy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100986 by Roderick Smith
I'm still hoping that 'Swishy' can identify the early chassis in this thread; there are now two or three mystery ones.

Yes, Bridge Rd at River St was a former cable-tram trailer shed. That must be an old photo. The facade was retained, and the interior land used for an upmarket hotel, well over 10 years ago.
My 1994 summary shows W2.254 as 'body sold; scrapped by 1994'. Hopefully your logbook will reveal where it went.
The other is an SW2; there were six, and none went to NZ. My guess is that you transported 478, which went to USA in 1988.

Here are three more photos of SW6.969 as a bar at Arts Centre. One side has entry doors; the other side has both fold-up flaps and fold-down counters for service to the outside world.

110206Su-ArtsCentre-SW6_969-JBounds-s.jpg
tdu.to/28210.att

Door side:
110205Sa-FootscrayRd-SW6_969-JBounds-s.jpg
tdu.to/28191.att

Hatch side:
869_cafe_March2011.JPG
tdu.to/27328.att
Trams , Sth Melb , St Kilda , Sat 12--02-11 004.jpg
tdu.to/26877.att

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago #100987 by Swishy
Sorry Smitty
Me nose Nutn

A Victorian cottage built in 1887 for John Stringer, it was later the home of William Schlipalius who was well known for his 'Slippy's Ice Cream', that he sold from a horse-drawn cart

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 4 months ago #100988 by Beaver
Back in the late 1960s there was an ice cream mob in Melbourne with a fleet of vans done up to look like trams.

Got a photo of a one somewhere, I'm trying to find it. Maybe Rod remembers them?

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #100989 by
...looks like Bill Schlipalius must have been the dad/grandad of Rueben who flogged those ice creams in the sixties, and brother Alby took over the old bloke's cart a little while earlier......

More
11 years 4 months ago #100990 by Roderick Smith
Somewhere I have an unscanned photo from a contributor of a vendor van which has a body styled like a Prahran & Malvern wooden tram shelter, mounted on a Toyota Dyna or similar chassis. The whole lot was painted tramway green & cream. That may be the style sought.
The other, which I have been hunting for 2 years without success, was an Ollie Trolley. I can't remember what it sold: icecream or hamburgers? It was styled like a USA tram, and now I can't recall if it was a trailer or self propelled. The one which I photographed was in Albury/Wodonga in the early 1970s.

I may well make no progress on Sunday: it is the final layout day for Nov.12 RNV, just beating the curfew for the printer's Christmas shutdown.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 4 months ago #100991 by Beaver
This mobile coffee shop has been seen in Sydney a few times, it is described as a "Launceston Tram". It is on wheels and has a towbar, but is moved around on a tilt-tray.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
11 years 4 months ago #100992 by Roderick Smith
While searching for the one which I knew I own, but couldn't find, I found the one which was requested.
It is from my regular contributor Wayne Duncan.
I don't know what the menu items were.

921228M CollinsSt Melbourne, Tram de la Tram Wayne Duncan

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 3 months ago #100993 by Roderick Smith
I should have all sorts of pedal ones in Asia, but the fastest which I can find is simply hand trundled. It is serving icecream.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 3 months ago #100994 by Lang
This bloke has all bases covered.

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds