Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Horses

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 00:22 #102987

• kenny-mopar
  • Thank you received: 0
amazing stuff .... never realised horses could help you build a dam ! ... well ill be dammed ;) its good to see how they used to do it also theres quite a few old horse drawn implements still around

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kenny-mopar.

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 12:24 #102988

• elgindale
  • Thank you received: 2
It takes a good horse to pull a load like this.
Ps this was a scan taken from a glass plate photo taken in the early 1900's no photoshop back then.

Last edit: by elgindale.

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 12:45 #102989

• Mairjimmy
  • Mairjimmy's Avatar Topic Author
  • D30 & R180 Inters Ford LN8000 & Loadmaster trailer
  • Thank you received: 157
elgindale,
I would like to buy the property where they grew those corn cobbs,and the size of the pig,and the saw bench with two blades, ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Colin
You can take my advice........
l am not using it

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 12:56 #102990

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
  • Thank you received: 997
Now Thatz
'CORNY'

LOL

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 13:11 #102991

• Bugly
  • Thank you received: 2
They're still available ...

1964 Dennis F34 fire pump with wheeled escape
1949 Dennis F1 fire pump
1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup
1935 Morris Eight Series 1 2-door sedan

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 13:14 #102992

• Mairjimmy
  • Mairjimmy's Avatar Topic Author
  • D30 & R180 Inters Ford LN8000 & Loadmaster trailer
  • Thank you received: 157
Swishy.
Must be worth a bit ,has a armed guard ;D ;D ;D
Bugly911
why is there not someone to help the poor girl :o :o :o
You can take my advice........
l am not using it

Last edit: by Mairjimmy.

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 15:26 #102993

• Roderick Smith
  • Thank you received: 164
100 years ago, construction started on Trans Australia Railway. The work continued through WWI (known as Great War then: it wasn't WWI until WWII came along).
Track laying was highly mechanised for the era, including world records for distance laid in a day.
Earthworks used animals.
My memory is of horses rather than camels: there is a wonderful documentary which I have seen many times and at many places, but I can't find it online.
They hauled scoop skips which grabbed up soil, then hauled them to a dumping spot, where the driver upended the skip like a wheelbarrow. They were used two ways: to grab earth/gravel to build up an embankment for the track, and to create dams to hold bore water for locomotives. These were roofed, to reduce evaporation.
The only video which I can find fast has two glimpses of horses. In one of them, two horses are hauling a foreman's buggy.
aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/transcontinental-railway/clip1

The centenary of the first sod at the eastern end was celebrated in Sept.12 at Port Augusta (SA); the centenary of the first sod at the western end will be celebrated in Feb.13 at Kalgoorlie. I have placed an advance alert in the events thread, as it would be a great weekend for anything vintage to rally to Kalgoorlie.
Rail Heritage WA is renovating rollingstock from different eras (including some 1917 originals) to provide a heritage train for the centenary of completion.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: by Roderick Smith.

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 16:26 #102994

• wouldyou
  • Thank you received: 64
Horse works, latest project. Poles went across the big gear, up to four horses worked around in a circle, a long shaft from the u joint to a pulley outside of the horses path.
Bevel gears 4 to 1, spur gears 5 1/2 to 1 giving 22 revs for one from the horse. Have never seen one in action.
David.

Last edit: by wouldyou.

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 17:36 #102995

• bund126
  • Thank you received: 0
There is a 5km long tunnel built in the early 1900's to join the Millbrook resevoir and little Para resevoir
the story goes that the horses didn't see day light for 8 hrs a day pulling a cable plough

Re: Horses 07 Jan 2013 18:53 #102996

• Roderick Smith
  • Thank you received: 164
I was at Wonthaggi (Vic.) on the day when the last pit ponies were brought out of the closing black-coal mine (Dec.6*). I don't know what the spell of duty was below the surface, and it may well have been a whole working life. Gooey newspaper readers were warned not to offer to adopt one: they had the wrong temperament. It seems that they were brought out after every shift, or perhaps on a weekly rotation. There are many references by googling. One which keeps giving downloading errors reports an event when fire caused the failure of the main lift. The pit ponies had to be brought out through a ventilation shaft: ok for miners, but not the right size for horses.

I have stacks of books and magazines from Light Railway Research Society of Australia showing horse teams hauling logs on forest tramways; the were the norm, rather than the exception.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: by Roderick Smith.
Time to create page: 0.692 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558