Skip to main content

Horses

More
5 years 10 months ago #194068 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Horses
Thanks Roderick.
Chomping at the bit? I remember it being 'Chaffing at the bit?' Is this a Qld/Vic thing? What says you?

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194077 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Horses
I was taught "Champing at the bit"

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 10 months ago #194083 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Horses
Wasn't it "Chaffing at the traces" and "Chomping/champing at the bit"

lang

More
5 years 10 months ago #194085 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Horses
I'm not a horse person.
champing at the bit.
www.bathroomreader.com/2014/04/chomping-vs-champing/
However, chomping and chafing are also used, but maybe wrongly.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_(horse)#Idiomatic_usage
Chafing really would be more the result of pulling against the reins: rub marks on the side of the mouth. Both actions came at the same time. Being held back when keen to go.
Roderick.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194087 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Horses
As Jo Bjelke--Petersen said,"Don't burn your chickens before you cross the bridge"

More
5 years 10 months ago #194088 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Horses
Or as my neighbour says, " Sometimes you have to look outside the big picture".

More
5 years 10 months ago #194114 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Horses

Lang wrote: As Jo Bjelke--Petersen said,"Don't burn your chickens before you cross the bridge"

I used to love those mixed metaphors!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
5 years 9 months ago #194356 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.
Outback Queensland town of Boulia the latest to embrace 3D pedestrian crossings May 30, 2018 .
An outback Queensland town stopped traffic last month when the local council announced it was attempting a novel method of traffic control in the form of a 3D pedestrian crossing.
Boulia – better known for its Camel Racing – has installed one of the optical illusions, with the hope of also attracting tourists and encouraging more street art.
And recent Facebook posts show that it does slow traffic, even on the speedy desert creatures, with Woodhouse Camels reporting that their steeds had approached the crossing with caution.
Even the camels slow down for the 3D crossings in Boulia. Photo: Woodhouse Camels Facebook page.
Boulia mayor Rick Britton had seen similar crossings on social media, and decided to “give it a go”.
“I saw that other countries had put 3D crossings in to slow the traffic down,” he told the ABC. “I thought that’d be a great idea in a little outback town like ours.”
Even Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull recently paid a visit to the zebra crossing, while in the town as part of a tour of drought-affected areas earlier in June.
The concept is reported to have originated in New Delhi, India, but has also popped up in Iceland, China, Malaysia, New Zealand and the United States.
There are variations in designs, with the crossings in Taizhou, China, being rendered in blue, white and yellow. Iceland’s are painted in a photo-realistic style, with whites and greys.
Meanwhile, in Dunedin in New Zealand, one crossing was adorned with cartoon feet, while another was rendered to resembles rock emerging from water, with a river them. Both crossings were painted by Melbourne-based artist Jenny McCracken, with local artist Guy Howard-Smith
Boulia is not the only Queensland location to trial the different approach to pedestrian safety.
In March, Cairns Regional Council announced a plan to “create the illusion of a floating zebra crossing using 3D art methods” on Point Pier Road, replacing an existing pedestrian crossing. After six months, the trial would be assessed to see if there was any change to driver or pedestrian behaviour.
It would cost about $30,000 to install the crossing outside the shopping centre and hotel, on the single road that provides access to a car park.
The report from the council into the proposed trial noted potential risks such as the artwork distracting drivers from pedestrians crossing, and pedestrians interfering in traffic flow by stopping in the middle of the road to take a photo.
< www.domain.com.au/news/outback-queenslan...180530-h10qwm-440790 >

Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #195081 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Horses
More tourist-ad photos. Camels look very romantic, but are a total pain to ride.

170723Su Melbourne Herald Sun - Egypt, camel

Roderick.

Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #195209 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Dog sleds
180805Su Melbourne 'Herald Sun' - Mt Buller (Vic.), husky adventure.

Roderick

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds