Skip to main content

Horses

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103017 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Horses

Nyngan...

Hmm, no wonder ya know all about them, ya still using them today for motive power. ::) ;D

Or, do ya mean that the coach was made at Nyngan ?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103018 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Horses
Greenie, the photo is at the Curry, 1901

;D Reins (steering wheel) in one hand, whip (accelerator) in the other.

Trust me

More
11 years 3 months ago #103019 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Horses
Three more from my collection, and RNV files.
Melbourne had several horse-tram operations. The first was built by a land developer to make his sales of subdivisions more profitable (Fairfield); others served sparse suburbs, and were rebuilt as electric trams as the population grew. Some were closed without upgrading. Ballarat also started with horse trams before electrification.

0203xx Ballarat horse tram R Smith
This is a Ballarat original, restored. It used on special occasions (eg Boxing Day 2013, to mark 125 years of trams in Ballarat). The original horses were local. After their death, horses are brought in from Queenscliff for these days.

101107Su Victor Harbor SA horse tram Jeff Bounds
This was a long-standing tourist run, over the causeway to Granite Island. it was removed in the 1950s, when everything had to be 'modern'. A replica was built several years ago (1980s?).

911208Su Kew Depot horse tram R Smith
This one was operated by TMSV at Kilmore. It was brought to Melbourne on several occasions for celebrations and ceremonies, and has run in Bourke St, East Melbourne and South Melbourne. On this occasion it is at an open day marking the 75th anniversary of Kew Depot. One of Melbourne's horse-tram routes had operated to Kew Cemetery.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 3 months ago #103020 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Horses
Smitty
Gudday M8
Bout 1974/5 we cartd the horse drawn jiggr from Kilmore or Byelands to StKilda Rd for may B Aust day celebrations Transport theme etc

U got any pix
Thanx in advance
Cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

11 years 3 months ago #103021 by
Replied by on topic Re: Horses
Rod, there use to be one those horse drawn carriges abandon up cnr of Newmans & Heidelberg- Warrandyte Rds Templestowe quite few years ago. Dave

More
11 years 3 months ago #103022 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Horses

Greenie, Mate, that's what I meant....

However, after sleeping on It (& no I haven't googled It').
I believe I'm wrong.....

There is (I think) a Carriage Builder in Nygan who built a replica Cobb & Co Coach.
He also Built a Carriage that the federal government presented to the Queen, for Her diamond Jubilee.

CObb & Co's Head Office was at Bathurst, & in their Southern Heyday had a factory There, & as the railways pushed 'em further North & west. There was another factory in western Queensland (not sure where) Longreach/ Chareville???

The fagan family from Carcoar (near bathurst) were major Partners In Cobb & Co.
They have an Open day every year Promoted as "The home of Cobb &Co"
Have been meaning to get there, I think this is the year I'm gunna get there.....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103023 by Roderick Smith
The Warrandyte find may well have been a cable-tram trailer: the two types were almost identical. Both needed light weight, and had longitudinal seats (partly because sides were dished to prevent too much damage in sidescrapes with horse-drawn wagons). There were a few hundred cable-tram trailers, and lots found there way into backyards when electric trams came. Most have now disintegrated.

I have found a Mar.75 South Melbourne horse tram, but not a full set yet.

I have waded though ten out of 20 pages of references, another ten to go.
There will also be photos of horse-tram special events in the magazine 'Electric Traction', but they would have to be scanned.
These are all on open access at the TDU archive.

Auburn Rd
horse tram auburn rd.jpg tdu.to/29904.att

Bourke St
Melbourne 370.jpg tdu.to/28074.att

Wellington Pde
Melbourne 329.jpg tdu.to/27951.att

Kilmore
Kilmore Horse Tram 8207M5.35.194.jpg tdu.to/25804.att

Carlton Clydesdales?
Down Under With Dave 011.jpg tdu.to/24336.att

Police-horse stables (I have this one ready to post here too, but is there any point?
100724Sa-P1130985-Police_horse-RSmith.jpg tdu.to/24235.att

Ballarat
tdu.to/125662.msg?sid=98399&p=6
tdu.to/125660.msg?sid=98399&p=6
1_Len_Ballarat_25Sep2005.jpg tdu.to/16599.att (with a pair; others have been singles)

South Melbourne (15.3.75) & Bylands
tdu.to/93102.msg?sid=98399&p=7
img392.jpg tdu.to/17533.att
HorseTram.SthMelbLoop.jpg tdu.to/17532.att
Me&896.jpg tdu.to/17530.att
img391.jpg tdu.to/17419.att

Welshpool - Port Welshpool
welshpoolhorsetram.jpg tdu.to/18602.att

Doncaster Vic.
vr_horse_bus_koonung_creek_doncaster_circa_1880.jpg tdu.to/15139.att

My set of these is yet to be uploaded
1-and-carriage_SwanstonSt_16Jan2008.jpg tdu.to/27775.att
tdu.to/151642.msg?sid=98399&p=3 (three from me; I may not need to upload here)

Surviving horse trough, Williamstown
061109Th-Williamstown-MorningStarHotel-horsetrough-RBaker.JPG tdu.to/14765.att

Queens Bridge (cable trams, horse drays, horse taxis)
queens_bridge_and_its_difficulties.jpg tdu.to/14596.att

Victor Harbor SA
pictures 6 27-6-10 to 14-03-11 1110.jpg tdu.to/31954.att
tdu.to/156983.msg?sid=98399&p=3
tdu.to/156873.msg?sid=98399&p=3
Down Under With Dave 027.jpg tdu.to/21377.att
tdu.to/86530.msg?sid=98399&p=8
Horse_Tram_on_Granite_Island_1986_CC.jpg tdu.to/16683.att

Cambridge, UK
PICT0490.JPG tdu.to/24975.att

Switzerland
ZLTKZ008.jpg tdu.to/24745.att

Papanui, NZ
Horse tram at Papanui 1964.jpg tdu.to/24046.att

Christchurch NZ
tdu.to/111873.msg?sid=98399&p=7

Manly, NSW
Corso_Manly_c1901.jpg tdu.to/16603.att

Rottnest Island WA
passenger tram Rottnest 1906.JPG tdu.to/15915.att
rottnest tram.jpg tdu.to/15494.att

Roderick B Smith
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103024 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Horses

Greenie, Mate, that's what I meant....

Hayseed, the coach is painted a white-ish colour which denotes it's been made in Charleville. This Qld branch of Cobb & Co, was owned by a consortium of Queenslanders and the white-ish coaches just worked in Qld.

All the southern Cobb & Co factories painted the coaches they made, a reddish maroon colour.

As BK has suggested that the photo has maybe been taken out front of the P.O. at the 'Curry, so it all adds up, eh.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
11 years 3 months ago #103025 by Roderick Smith
Douglas, Isle of Man, the last commercial horse tramway in the world:

Googling brings up lots of information and photos of this operation.

Three more of mine:

100814Sa Healesville tourist horse vehicle. R Smith
100724Sa Melbourne Police horse stable during a Melbourne Open Houses day. R Smith
081028Tu Foxton NZ horsetram advertisement R Smith

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103026 by Roderick Smith
I'm not sure if I have a full set of Swanston St (Melbourne, Vic.) horse carriages or not. Here are three, all taken on Fri.5.10.07.

Roderick B Smith

Reins tighten on carriage drivers.
Horse-drawn vehicles get slapped with miles of red tape.
Neigh, they say: Alex McDonald's future as a horse and carriage driver could be in jeopardy if permits are harder to obtain. Melbourne's horse and carriage operators have been saddled with red tape, in a new council push they claim will put them out of business. Documents seen by 'Herald Sun' reveal the steep measures the operators would have to take to get a new permit. Melbourne City Council's invitation to register for the Expression of Interest asks applicants to:
DISCLOSE their bank balances, trading profits and breed and descriptions of horses.
UNDERGO police checks, have extensive business and marketing plans, with proof of risk-management analysis and policies promoting social and environmental sustainability.
NAME all of their employees, have a carriage evaluation by a qualified engineer and fill in pages on the uniqueness and creativity of their services.
Operators labelled the requirements 'over-the-top' and said many of the carriages that have been working in Swanston St for decades would be forced out of business. They refused to be named because of a council gag in the EoI, prohibiting public comment. 'We've been kicked off Swanston St and they haven't said where we can go during the daytime; we have to just name a place and if they don't like it they can knock back the whole permit,' one driver said. 'We used to go and tell them how many horses we had, where we worked and our names and that was it. There were rules introduced, like not going near Bourke St mall and the horse nappies, and we've abided by that.' Another operator said the council had made the form so complicated it seemed designed to cull the number of permits. Only 10 permits will be awarded by council, for a maximum of three carriages per permit. 'They're trying to ruin the industry, they want us out,' an operator said. The closing date for submitting an Expression of Interest is 8.11, with successful applicants notified on 16.12. A City of Melbourne spokesman said there had been continuing discussions with horse-drawn vehicle operators since March last year about the Swanston St redevelopment.
Wed.19.10.11 Melbourne 'Herald Sun'

Swanston Street works to block cycling artery - but is the pain worth the gain?
Revamped Swanston Street: a clean run or collision course?
WHEN Lord Mayor Robert Doyle launched the first of Swanston Street's new raised tram stops at the State Library, he likened the top-notch bluestone used to craft the pavements to a 'river of gold'. Now more freshly-chiselled blocks sit neatly trussed on the side of the road, destined for stage two of the massive program of works on Swanston Street (which begins tonight) and the slogan on the packaging is instructive: 'stands the test of time'. Whether Melbourne City Council's car-free $25 million overhaul of Swanston Street will survive into perpetuity and successfully woo the public remains to be seen. But for the next six months the blood in the city's busiest cycling vein will slow to a trickle, as commuters dismount from their bikes and walk them around two construction zones. The work on two raised tram stops will take place between Flinders Lane and Collins Street, and between Bourke and Little Bourke streets. And as the work begins the new car-free rules will also be introduced: only authorised vehicles will be able to drive and park in the street, for a maximum of 30 minutes, while wheelchair accessible taxis that are picking up or dropping off a passenger will be allowed on Swanston Street. When the first raised tram stop was unveiled in late November, it was widely panned as being poorly signposted and confusing, with unwitting pedestrians sharing the pavement with commuting cyclists. But Bicycle Network Victoria spokesman Gary Brennan said feedback in the past two months had found that it was working better than expected. 'There is always confusion with a new road design and it's obvious that some of the tram users haven't realised they shouldn't be standing on the bike lane but we believe that it's a matter of adaption,' Mr Brennan said. When the bluestone pavement was new and dusty there was little differentiation between the bike lane and pedestrian area, but this ambiguity had since improved, he said. Melbourne City Council has been monitoring the State Library tram stop since its completion, using time lapse photography, 'human factor assessment', a road safety audit, and a disability audit. All of which have found the tram stop to be working well but 'minor' refinements may arise, a spokeswoman said. Signs have been changed, including adding bicycle symbols and a strong yellow line at the kerb to delineate the area for pedestrians. Less enamoured with the new-look Swanston Street are the horse carriage operators, who have previously had free rein (no pun intended) but are now banned from travelling through the new tram stops. Carriage Drivers Association spokesman Dean Crichton, who has run his business from Swanston Street for 27 years, said it would be difficult for drivers to continue operating without through access. 'Bearing in mind I don't want to be on Swanston Street if it's like it was the last time it was closed to cars
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds