Skip to main content

Horses

More
11 years 3 months ago #103027 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Horses
After reading that it sounds like the Government has met the Transport Industry yet again Roderick.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103028 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Horses
Yesterday's text was only half. I had to split to match the letter-limit quota, and there are more photos. All of my transport hobbies have clashes with officialdom: rules, restrictions, lack of approvals.

Today's three photos were taken in Swanston St on Sun.31.7.11. This was a Melbourne Open House day.

Row gees up horse-and-carriage drivers.
Bob Burston a horse-and-carriage owner is worried about the future of his business.
Melbourne's horse-and-carriage operators say they have been banished from the city. The Horse and Carriage Association claims new permits issued by Melbourne City Council have made parking their horses in the city so difficult their businesses are doomed. The council issued eight permits to operators after an expression of interest process late last year. But the association claims the two available parking sites on Swanston St are commercially unviable because they allow trading only between 19.00 and 7.30. Association president Bob Burston said the new permit conditions would force businesses to close. 'People don't want to go on horse and carriage rides in the middle of the night,' he said. 'They're stopping us from working. We're out of action without parking.' There are daytime parking spots on St Kilda Rd but one operator says they are invalid under the new permits because they are not signposted. 'They've destroyed the industry,' he said. He also said there was nowhere near as much foot traffic on St Kilda Rd as Swanston St, and operators were losing money. A council spokeswoman said the changes were to improve safety and the appearance of the city. 'Changes in the new permit conditions had a focus on improving safety of drivers, passengers, other road users and the general public, improvements in animal welfare practices and enhancement to the attractiveness, cleanliness and amenity of trading areas,' she said. She said the council was working with operators to consider other parking areas, not on Swanston St. But operators also want to resolve other issues such as making permits transferable. 'I ... was hoping one day to retire and sell my business, but the permit is not transferable,' one operator said. 'If I put my business up for sale ... it makes (it) worth nothing.'
Fri.10.2.12 Melbourne 'Herald Sun' www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/row-...7x8me2-1226267132533

Stalking horses hit election trail over CBD carriage ban.
MELBOURNE'S horse-drawn carriages have hit the election frontier, with buggy owners fearful the mayor wants to run them out of town. For years the horses and carriages have been a familiar sight clomping through the CBD but now their drivers have been told they cannot pick up passengers in Swanston Street. Melbourne City Council's ruling that carriages cannot drive in the redeveloped street and can pick up passengers only at limited times means owners must now try to lure fares from St Kilda Road, outside the arts centre. Those who disobey can be fined $1100 but drivers say they have no choice but to run the gauntlet because there is no business to be found south of the CBD. Lord mayor Robert Doyle yesterday said there had been 'a little bit of friction' between the council and carriage owners but drivers slammed the ruling, saying the council was slowly crippling business for the 10 permit-holders who share about 15 buggies. 'They want us out of the city,' said Alex Macdonald, a driver for 26 years. 'We are an iconic part of the city. I've never spoken to Doyle but how do small businesses liaise with these people? It's bureaucracy gone mad.' The issue has so aggrieved Mr Macdonald that he is running for council on lord mayoral candidate Brian Shanahan's ticket. Some carriages now carry posters urging people to vote for Mr Shanahan and running mate Kevin Chamberlin. Mr Macdonald said he had picked up only three rides in more than a month from St Kilda Road, where there was little shelter and little interest among pedestrians. Fellow driver Ray Thompson said he had been fined once for picking up customers in Swanston Street and knew of others who had been fined three times and were considering moving on. Mr Thompson said it cost about $100,000 to buy two carriages and horses and he would not make nearly enough fares - most owners charge about $60 for 15 minutes or $100 for 30 minutes - to cover costs if unable to pick up tourists in the CBD. 'You've got to be in the CBD,' he said. 'For many people it's a spur-of-the-moment thing and they won't see me [on St Kilda Road] or they don't want to walk over.' Mr Thompson said drivers had been told they could stop in Swanston Street between 2pm and 4pm and after 7pm, whereas previously they were given unlimited access. Cr Doyle said the council was regularly meeting drivers and there was no push to remove them from the city. Doyle refuses to reveal cost of mayoral bid, Melbourne lord mayor Robert Doyle has refused to disclose how much he is spending on his Town Hall tilt - and who is footing the bill.
Wed.10.10.12 Melbourne 'Age'.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 3 months ago #103029 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Horses
A few more horsey pix to add to u're bucket

;)

http://featherbyfeather.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/melbourne-cbd-80.jpg?w=700

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Swishy
More
11 years 3 months ago #103030 by Swishy
Smore
Eye hear U dont ask
LOL

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103031 by Roderick Smith
Wonderful trawling: an immediate response is warranted.
I'll have some more Melbourne in the morning.
I lost time today looking for my 1976 Bombay ride in a landau. They were tourist gimmicks, not real taxis. I don't have a photo, which hints that I didn't ride either: overpriced.
Here is a selection of Indian links and photos. The style today is a Victoria, not a landau or landaulette.
www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-22120189-mumbai-horse-taxi.php
www.mid-day.com/news/2012/jul/020712-mum...-to-horses-death.htm
Mumbai for Horses, said 'The incident sparked outrage among animal-rights activists. This is not the first incident in which a horse has lost its life because of negligence of the owner. Until we stop the plying of carriages and joy rides, horses will continue to meet their cruel deaths on the streets of Mumbai. Every single stable is illegal and yet, the authorities let them continue'.
187 Number of licensed Victoria horses in the city., www.telegraphindia.com/1120710/jsp/frontpage/story_15711334.jsp (with a photo)
Only 18 carriages are legal: india.nydailynews.com/business/06f487b04...carriages-legal-peta
oldphotosbombay.blogspot.com.au/2010/08/...carriages-ships.html (lots of old Bombay photos, including horse into bus & tram, and lots of ships)

Googling on Mumbai horse carriage brings up three photos; all are Victorias.

not horse, but another commercial vehicle link: Premier Padmini vanishing (an Indian Fiat 1100 taxi): blogs.thenational.ae/photography/nationa...nis-last-ride-mumbai

Roderick B Smith
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103032 by Roderick Smith
Some more Melbourne. I have some non-Melbourne when I reach the end of this batch.

Ned Kelly was robbing a stagecoach: 'I'll take the gentlemen's watches, and kiss the ladies'.
'You cad; you can have my watch, but leave the ladies alon'.
Spinster: 'Shut up. Who'se robbing this coach: you or Mr Kelly?'.

Today's three are more from Sun.31.7.11.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 2 months ago #103033 by Roderick Smith
As I neared Allora, I saw an outback bushie type up to his shoulders in water, and called out: 'Are you alright mate'.
'I'm orright, I'm worrying about me orse'.

110731Su horsecarriage St Kilda Rd NGV, Recital & Playbox R Smith. Taken through the scratched window of a passing tram.

070624Su Werribee horsecoach RSmith. Part of the celebrations at stations along the line for the 150th anniversary of the Geelong & Melbourne railway.

921101Su Korumburra Vic. Coal Creek horsecarriage R Smith. I haven't checked: this may be the same one which I saw at Healesville, posted earlier in the thread.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 2 months ago #103034 by Roderick Smith
I did think of converting these to b&w, but the style of clothing would have revealled that they are not 1920s.

This was at a special weekend over Easter, celebrating the 30th anniversary of Glenbrook Vintage Railway, about 60 km south of Auckland (NZ). My first overseas trip was to NZ for Easter 1972, for the delivery run of two locos from South Island to Auckland to head to GVR.

For the celebration, there were special steam trains running on the tourist line, and through from Auckland.
Around the railway terminus, lots of other groups provided displays of old equipment and machinery: tractors, cars, trucks, steam launches (on a dam on a nearby farm), Tiger Moth joyflights, and a demonstration of ploughing using a horse team. This was followed a day later by a cruise on the harbour at Auckland aboard preserved steam tug William C Daldy.

All three were taken on Fri.29.3.02, around Glenbrook station (the operations base).
See: www.railfan.org.nz

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #103035 by Roderick Smith
Here are two of a horse taxi in Encarnacion, Paraguay. This was the street taxi from the bus terminal to the hotel; it wasn't a tourist gimmick.
The date was Fri.18.1.85.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith.

• Swishy
More
11 years 2 months ago #103036 by Swishy

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds