Skip to main content

Buses converted to campervans

More
4 years 2 months ago #205671 by cobbadog
Our small camper van has only a sink for washing up and it is a very rare time I run it to the drains. Always allow it to run onto the ground where you can here the grass say thank you. Since in our case it is only a small sink it is only letting almost 4 litres of water / day onto the ground. We used to put a bucket under there but it was just a waste of time it still went onto the ground. Only had one van park ask that we dont do that so we hooked up the hose to keep them happy.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206272 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.
Take a look inside van renovations Dec 28, 2019
Take a peek inside some van conversions online. Photo: Civilian Life
Hitting the open road in a van is a great feeling and no longer reserved for grey nomads. The tiny house and vanlife movements have inspired more and more Australians to buy an old, derelict van of any sort and renovate it. For those who might not to be prepared to take on a full house renovation, or who like the idea of travelling small, a caravan, bus or van renovation is a great alternative.
Here are some great caravan, bus and van renovations from around the world to inspire you.
Hear all about the Australians taking grown-up gap years on Somewhere Else.
* The 50-year-old van. Ex-Block contestants Michael and Carlene Duffy have completed four van renovations, all of then unique vintage caravans. Their first was a side project, a 1966 caravan that they called Millie. From there, the love for vintage renovations grew and they now have a dedicated Instagram account, This Old Van, where they share their work. As well as social media, their website Cedar and Suede gives a run down on the process from neglected caravan to restored holiday home on wheels. Each van is is different, and the pair now run caravan renovation workshops.
* Amie and her backyard caravan. Photographer and pet minder Amie Forbes had been living in Queensland and working three jobs to stay afloat. Wanting more freedom and less stress to focus on her passions, Amie bought and renovated a caravan, and parked it on a large property. Since moving into the caravan, Amie has reduced her bills and her working hours, meaning she can spend more time with those she loves most, her two dogs Edge and Luna.
* The Adelaide family on the road. After a road-tripping honeymoon through the Rocky Mountains, Kallie and Dylan Bergamaschi felt inspired to buy a van of their own and hit the road. Three years later, they have made a life of it with their two children in tow. The couple left Adelaide behind and now travel spontaneously, only planning three to four days ahead. The family of four are travelling the country in a refurbished bus they call Nelly – a project they worked on over five months.
* The school bus conversion. This van conversion looks more like a cozy winter cabin than anything else, its almost hard to believe it was once a run-of-the-mill van. Complete with brick walls, a fireplace and just about every appliance under the sun, this school bus conversion is what dreams are made of. The American couple travel around the US in their project, with their cat tagging along for the adventure.
* The Aussies living out their dream. Australians Natalie, Zach, Tallow — and the “little bus baby” that is on the way — live full-time in a converted tiny home on wheels that they created themselves. Laid-back, easygoing and willing to share every aspect of their lives on the road in Australia, this family want to inspire others to live out their wildest dreams, while also keeping it real and being honest about the challenges that come with life on the road. Check out their YouTube channel if you really want to get the road-life itch.
Related: One family’s van life adventure
Related: The best conversions on Instagram
Related: The couple who transformed a paddle boat
< www.domain.com.au/living/take-a-look-ins...n-renovations-908908 >

More
4 years 1 month ago #206275 by Roderick Smith
Only five photos are allowed in one post. Here is the sixth
191228Sa-Domain-campervans.
The article mentioned the PV Julie Fay conversion. I have them downloaded for a paddleboat group, so I'll top this up with just three of the six.
There are lots of private paddleboats of this scale on the river, usually only single deck (to get under bridges and overhanging limbs in high water).
191023W-Domain-JulieFay

Roderick

Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #206537 by Roderick Smith
190627Th-'BrisbaneTimes-mobile.life (2)
190721Su-Melbourne'Age'-Canada.campervan
190804Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Utah-campervan
200105Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-NZ-MtCook-campervan

Roderick

More
3 years 11 months ago #208139 by Roderick Smith
190802F-Melbourne'Age'-WickedCampers (two photos)
200124F-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Kea-campervans-s.jpg
200202Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-California-campervan (two photos).

Roderick

More
3 years 11 months ago #208384 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.
When it had 19 seats it would have needed an endorsed licence in Australia.

Quirky bus conversion makes photographer’s life on the road a dream Feb 24, 2020
The bus has been a true home for the photographer. Photo: Paul Mercer
After a chilly winter toughing it out on a shoot in New Zealand’s South Island, landscape photographer Paul Mercer had had enough.
He needed something more than his uninsulated van with a bed in the back could give him… He needed a home for the road. He settled on a 1991 Nissan Civilian, a small bus that runs on diesel but only requires a standard driver’s licence to drive.
“When I got it, it did have a full interior already, but it had been in a long time. It was quite dated in there. There was no kitchen or anything like that,” says Mercer.
Hear about life on the road on Somewhere Else :
“I ripped it all out and started again. And I think I’ve done that, or parts of it anyway, two or three times since then, because I wasn’t happy with the job I’d done.”
Mercer says he really doesn’t want to give up his home, but has no choice. Photo: Paul Mercer
Although he says the interior is “polarising”, he’s happy with it now and says most people seem to like it.
“I didn’t really have a look in mind, as such, it was more that I started playing around and used the materials that I had available,” he says. “I just found what I could for cheap prices, second hand or things that people were throwing away, and as much as I could, I repurposed them. It just evolved naturally rather than deciding at the start what I wanted.”
To begin with, the bus was missing heating, a proper composting toilet and insulation. These were priorities, because his then home on the road had had issues with damp, mould and the cold.
Mercer, who says he’s “quite handy” and perhaps a bit of a perfectionist, added them all himself in a “long, multi-year process of doing a bit at a time”. He worked mostly with salvaged, recycled and upcycled materials.
The bus is a spacious, functional home for the road. Photo: Paul Mercer
“I was literally learning as I go. When I first started I had no idea what I was doing at all. I’ve never done anything like that before, but I’ve always been reasonably good at woodwork and I’ve built things like tables and other bits and pieces before. Nothing professionally, it’s just been a bit of a hobby.”
Mercer wanted to do something a little bit different to other buses and motorhomes he’d seen. The result is a cosy, functional home on wheels, with polished wood accents and faux brick interiors painted white.
Fully self-contained, the bus is also “completely off grid” and has “everything necessary to be away from civilisation for as long as you would like”.
That includes a wood burner, insulation, double glazing, solar panels, a large bank of batteries for power storage, a composting toilet, and the ultimate in on-road comfort, “a 37-inch TV for those long winter nights”.
Mercer says he really doesn’t want to give up his home, but has no choice. Photo: Paul Mercer
“It’s built to be completely off grid. It’s got over 500 watts of solar panels, nice big batteries, so that even in the middle of winter if you get three or four rainy days where the solar panels aren’t charging, there’s enough battery storage so you can carry on as normal,” he says. “You more-or-less never have to plug in to 240volt power.”
The decor is sustainable too, with all the wood in the bus, and even the screws and hinges, taken from other projects.
“I’ve finally got it to a stage where I’m happy with it. It’s all finished, its comfortable, everything works well and looks tidy.”
Mercer says figuring out what its cost him is a “really hard one”, because he can’t factor in the time he spent on the work, but he thinks the interior cost $7,000 – $8,000 and the bus cost $53,000.
The faux brick look is carried through to the compact bathroom. Photo: Paul Mercer
Although he’s loved spending time in his van, Mercer says he’s putting it up for sale because his father has Parkinson’s disease and he has become his carer. There’s no room for the bus where he’s living, so he has to let it go.
“I don’t want to let it go, really, especially after all the work I’ve put in. When I go away and use it, I just love being in it. It just makes everything so easy,” Mercer says.
“I suppose because I’ve built it myself and spent so much time in it you develop a bond with things, even though it’s an inanimate object, because it’s been so good. It’s always taken me everywhere I’ve wanted to go with no problems. I’m going to really miss it, unfortunately.”
< www.domain.com.au/living/quirky-bus-conv...-road-a-dream-933146 >
with five photos

More
3 years 11 months ago #208572 by Roderick Smith
190707Su-Melbourne'Age'-van.life.jpg
191017Th-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-busker.campervan.jpg
200225Tu-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Avan-campervan (two images)
200228F-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-campervan.jpg

Roderick

More
3 years 11 months ago #208630 by Roderick Smith
190930M-Fairfax-Domain-luxury.mobile.home (five views)
Roderick

More
3 years 11 months ago #208753 by Roderick Smith
Roderick

This converted school bus is a house in disguise Mar 2, 2020
Sharla May sold her house and converted a school bus into a mobile home - she hasn't looked back. Photo: Stuff
Life’s traumas often spark big changes, and that’s what happened to New Zealand woman Sharla May.
Seven years ago May’s father had a series of strokes that prompted her thinking about her own life decisions.
“I was in my 30s and asked myself, ‘What am I doing with my life?'” she says. “You don’t know how long you’ve got. Why am I getting into all this debt with a house?
Hear all about life on the road on Somewhere Else :
“I’ve always liked to travel a lot, and I thought why not hit the road while I am still young and have my fitness and health.”
So May, who is the manager of the Tiny House Conference, sold up and built a tiny house – just like that. It cost her $9500 and she built it on a truck trailer unit. “Once you start downsizing, you realise you get pleasure in other things,” she says.
May has travelled the country, enjoying the view as she goes. Photo: Stuff
But May says the tiny house was not as mobile as she would have liked, so in 2018 she sold it. “I did very well out of it.”
She then started looking for a motorhome, and didn’t find anything she liked. “A lot of motorhomes I looked at were very plasticky looking. I’m young and I wanted something that expressed my personality.”
The solution? May bought a school bus that still had all its original seats inside, and set about a major DIY bus conversion. Not that you would know it; she deliberately avoided making her bus look like a house bus, so she doesn’t attract unwanted attention.
“I spent six months converting it. I prefer to give things a go and there are lots of ‘how-to’ videos on Youtube that helped me – there’s always someone who has done a detailed video of a project. The only thing I didn’t make was the kitchen cabinetry. But I managed to install a diesel heater myself.”
And this is the former school bus before the conversion. Photo: Stuff
May also found lots of ways to save costs. For example, she first found the measurements for cheap, ready-made blinds and then had her new bus windows made to the same dimensions. And she made carpet mats to a set size that means they can be rolled up easily and stored onboard over the summer.
She has solar panels, batteries and an inverter, so she can run 240V appliances, including a TV and laptops. She also runs a Bluetooth sound system, a refrigerator, an ignition system for a gas hot water unit, lighting and roof fans. She has a gas oven and cooktop.
On the road
Once the bus was complete, May hit the road. “My father died last year and he never got to do this, even though he always wanted to. So now he comes travelling with me – I have some of his ashes.”
May did almost all the work on the bus conversion herself, through watching Youtube DIY videos. Photo: Stuff
May also has two little dogs who keep her company everywhere she goes. “The dogs love it. Every time they go outside, we’re in a new place.”
And she says she now has friends all over the country. “It’s funny, but when I arrive in town they always offer me a bed, but I prefer my own bed. It’s especially great to decide to head out to the beach for the weekend with friends. I don’t have to pack a thing.”
May says life on the road is a lot cheaper than she thought. “When you’re on holiday you have a lot of expenses with accommodation and eating out. You pay top dollar. I like to go to remote places, and I stock up with enough food to last a couple of weeks.
“I freedom camp, and I recommend others read up about the Freedom Camping Act so they know where they stand. There is a freedom camping app, but I find those locations can be overpopulated. I want to get away from everyone, not join up with them.”
May relaxes on one of her ‘sofas’. She had the kitchen custom built. Photo: Stuff
Finances
May works online in marketing, advertising and web design. And she says she much prefers to have several strings to her bow.
“Years ago, I was working for a newspaper and a week before settlement on my first house I was made redundant. That happened a couple of times. And I thought, this is crazy that we’re programmed to get our income off one main source.
Now I always try to have three income streams.”
At times May takes on temporary work. Right now she is working full time in an HR role till June, for a kiwifruit pack house in Te Puke. “We are staying on a lifestyle block next to the orchard and there [are] kennels, which the dogs have all to themselves in the daytime. They are loving it.”
Tiny house conference
May opted for a largely black interior. Photo: Stuff
May was one of a group of people who set up the New Zealand Tiny House Association, and is managing the conference scheduled for May, in Manukau, Auckland. The association is working on proposals for a bill, which it will take to parliament, which will classify regulations for “long-term dwelling in tiny houses on wheels”. The association would like to see established standards inserted into the NZ Building Code.
“When I started working on my tiny house, the movement was a lot smaller. I felt like a lone sheep. I have learned lots, but I have also had issues, notably with damages caused to property by a moving company. That was very stressful,” she says.
“We will be sharing tips at the conference. It is valuable to be able to learn from others’ mistakes. The conference gives everyone the chance to network in real life.”
It’s also an opportunity for tiny house enthusiasts to see a lot of ideas in one space – be it a house bus or a more traditional tiny home.
Related: Inside a quirky bus conversion
Related: Tiny house made from a plane
Related: The world’s best van renovations
< www.domain.com.au/living/this-converted-...e-in-disguise-935843 > [with six photos]

More
3 years 11 months ago #208852 by Roderick Smith
Roderick
Woman Transforms $7000 Bus Into Luxury Mobile Home September 7, 2019 [with about 20 photos at the link; just five here]
When a young lady got sick of her career in the world of finance, she decided to do something radical. One day, while browsing online, she stumbled across something that would change her life forever. However, she never imagined it being a bus.
This Bus Changed Her Life. Jessie Lipskin, 30, decided to leave her New York City apartment and build her own home. After buying a Greyhound bus, she spent three tireless years transforming it into something that wasn’t just luxurious, but so much more…
Sold. This amazing story began back in 2015 when Jessie Lipskin was interested in packing up everything and downsizing. One day, when she was browsing on eBay, she stumbled across a 1966 GMC Commuter Greyhound bus. “RVs lacked the aesthetic I was going for, so I landed on a vintage bus conversion,” she said. Feeling lucky and opportunistic, Jessie ended up being the winning bidder, buying the bus for just $7,000. Despite being so excited about her radical purchase, she didn’t even have a driver’s license at the time.
No Ordinary Woman. What you’ll learn from this incredible story is that Jessie Lipskin isn’t any ordinary woman. Unlike other people who have given buses extreme makeovers in recent times, Jessie has a profound reason for her life-changing decision. As a vegan, Jessie pursued a more eco-friendly lifestyle and did extensive research on sustainable living. “I was working long hours in finance at the time and I felt like there was something else out there,” she said. Jessie is also a huge bookworm.
Inspired. Jessie’s first exposure to sustainable living came after watching Garbage Warrior. The documentary focuses on architect Michael Reynolds, who takes recycled materials and builds “Earthships” out of them. “[It] really resonated with me,” Jessie said. “I began to consume everything I could read, more about sustainable lifestyles. Ultimately, a home on wheels seemed like a perfect solution: I could easily explore new places (finding a permanent place to settle, in the short term, was not a priority for me).”
Natural Progression. For Jessie, it wasn’t as if she simply decided to live in a bus overnight. It was a gradual transition from her NYC lifestyle to a life of condensing and only holding onto the things that truly matter. “People waste a lot of time focusing on physical items: purchasing them, misplacing them, and subsequently looking for them. Most of these items, from my standpoint, felt superfluous to a meaningful life,” she said. “I relocated seven times, and by the end, just about everything I owned fit in my SUV.”
Travel Bug. Having lived in Manhattan for most of her life, Jessie didn’t just want a simpler life, she wanted to see the world. In her mind, if she had a portable home, then she could be at home and visit new places at the same time. Over the past three years, Jessie has moved on seven separate occasions, allowing her to see a little bit more of the world, while also transforming the bus in a variety of different locations.
Huge Potential. With compelling reasons behind her decision and an adventurous investment, Jessie was excited upon seeing her 1966 GMC bus for the very first time. Sure, it didn’t look like much. It was simply a bus that had transported millions of people over the years. In fact, it was an identical model to the bus that Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock drove in the ’90s blockbuster Speed. However, Jessie had a clear vision of exactly how she wanted the mobile home to look, both inside and out…
Square One. With the bus sold to her exactly how it was advertised on eBay, Jessie knew exactly what she was signing up for. She knew that there weren’t any neat features that she could utilize. The bus had been stripped down to its bones, with just a handful of seats remaining. Without haste, Jessie and her team stripped them away too. She wanted a completely empty vessel, which would help her begin its transformation from an old bus into her luxury, eco-friendly home…
Lots Of Work To Do. As time went on, it was becoming clearer and clearer that Jessie had a lot to learn. “The big challenge was that it was very different from working on a home that’s fixed in one location,” she said. “I constantly had to account for movement, on top of that the angles of the bus and slanted style windows made it challenging to design the best possible layout and curved woodworking.” As a result of this, Jessie knew she’d need some help…
A Little Help From My Friends. As she was constantly on the move during the reconstruction of the bus, Jessie was able to meet a number of helpful people along the way. However, it wasn’t easy finding the right people. “I love DIY, however, I don’t have experience with plumbing, electrical, carpentry needed for this project,” she said. Nevertheless, she managed to get help from a number of friends and contractors. Now that she had a support network, Jessie was able to begin the transformation.
Family Matters Although Jessie got a lot of help from friends and local professionals, there was one group of people who were not so excited about her radical life decision – her family. “My mom thought I was crazy. She would tell all the people in her apartment building, ‘My daughter is buying a bus to live in,'” she said. “People thought it was a big undertaking but they thought if anyone could do it, it would be me.” Nevertheless, she would eventually earn her family’s support.
Everything Needed To Be Perfect. Although she had the right people around her to put everything together, Jessie knew that ultimately, it was her vision. It was on her if the bus conversion didn’t work out. Therefore, she needed to make sure that everything was meticulous. “One of the hardest challenges was building walls and storage and closets in,” she said. “If the angle isn’t exactly the same every time you park [the bus], you might have an issue with opening a door or something like that.”
Amazing Woodwork. Once the scaffolding was done and the main framework of the new home was complete, Jessie and her team could move onto basic furnishings. She hired local carpenter Mike Slater, who made the customized woodwork for her place. She was so pleased with his contribution to the bus, she described it as “amazing carpentry” on an Instagram post. By the time that Slater was done, all the closets, boardings, and kitchen countertops were in place and ready to be used.
Honoring The Bus. As you can see, Jessie was respectful enough to make sure that she wasn’t simply ignoring the fact that the home she was creating was once a bus. After keeping the license plate, as well as the plate that contained the details of who it was constructed by, to begin with, Jessie thought it was only fitting to display these plates inside her home. That way, she was honoring what had come before, as well as all the people responsible for giving her this bus.
Transformation – Done!. Fast forward three years and after so much blood, sweat, and tears, Jessie was able to proudly look at her new home. While the young lady spent over $70,000 to complete the conversion, this might sound like a shocking figure. However, when you consider how much a standard apartment in Manhattan costs, it is clear that Jessie actually saved a lot of money in the process. Upon completion, Jessie was excited to finally share her masterpiece with the world…
Let’s Start Outside. While the interior would ultimately determine whether or not the bus transformation was a success or failure, the way that the exterior looked also mattered a lot to Jessie. The shape stayed the same, but Jessie had the bus completely painted over from head to toe. While it was already mainly white with a red, white, and blue stripe pattern running through its center, Jessie thought it would look cleaner if the home received an all-white paint job.
Huge Interior. Funnily enough, one of the aspects of the bus conversion that Jessie was not so happy about was how big the interior of the new home felt to her. With the intention of downsizing, in many ways, this portable home felt even bigger than her apartment in Manhattan. “When I walk in, it feels huge,” she said. “It feels even bigger than my New York City apartment.” Consequentially, Jessie made the most of all the space she had…
Feels Like Home. Although Jessie has a complicated relationship with both her family and where she came from, she made a concerted effort to make sure that her new home reflected her personality, as well as her roots. For example, the young lady decorated the home with a number of family heirlooms, such as photos of her ancestors. Also, Jessie regularly uses precious china plates that her great-grandmother once used in her home on Delancey Street on the Lower East Side, New York.
Eco-Friendly Kitchen. Not only does the kitchen look like something out of a high-end brochure, but it also utilizes the environment pretty well too. It is equipped with all the amenities you’d expect from a modern apartment, including wooden countertops, an oven, stove, and a large sink. It also has tons of storage. There is even an energy efficient washing machine and a dryer in the kitchen area. Like a number of other parts of the home, the kitchen window boasts stunning views of Jessie’s surroundings.
Bathroom Included. It wasn’t just the communal areas that were given the luxury feel. Adjacent to the kitchen, the bathroom still had plenty of room to navigate in. “The bathroom has mahogany wood slotted flooring that drains for drying off post-shower,” Jessie said. “The shower drain connects to the floor drain and they both lead to the gray water tank which is mounted under the bus.” But probably the most fascinating aspect of the bus conversion could be found in Jessie’s bedroom…
Room With A View. Not only is the bedroom beautifully designed, but it also has an open window, providing Jessie with beautiful views. “I love not having a TV. I had the option to have a TV, but I really like waking up in the morning and hearing the birds outside my window,” she said. So if Jessie was so adamant that she didn’t want a TV, how exactly was she going to spend her free time in her new home?
Time To Hit The Books. After dedicating three years of her life to this radical transformation, Jessie now has “a little ‘library along the back of the bedroom,” with the long list of books she wants to catch up on. “I feel like I’ve been so busy these past few years that I haven’t read as much as I’d like. I have the time now to do that,” she said. “It’s nice to just cozy up in bed and just read a book.”
Enough Storage Space? While Jessie has admitted that she could’ve done with some more storage space in the bus home, the limited amount has certainly made her more space efficient. “This is just one portion of the closet, it extends to the left and right a decent amount,” she said. “I’ve always been very organized and tidy and kind of tried to get rid of whatever I don’t need.” Despite these little nitpicks, Jessie has certainly taken more positives from the transformation than negatives.
Guest Friendly. You can take Jessie out of New York City, but you definitely can’t take New York City out of Jessie. As a New Yorker, through and through, the young lady went out of her way to make sure that there would be room in the bus for potential guests. At the front of it, there is an extra sleeping space, in case any friends or family choose to crash for the weekend. There have been recent developments regarding Jessie’s newly transformed home…
She’s Also Tech Savvy. Make no mistake about it – Jessie wasn’t only interested in creating a beautiful home. She was excited to put her mind to the test and create amenities on the bus that have a bit of technological panache to them. Take the steps at her home entrance for example. When you open the door and press the electric button on the side, steps will open out so that you can enter and exit the bus. Press the button again for them to close.
Radical Transformation. If you compare how the interior of the bus looked when Jessie bought it a few years ago, compared to what it looks like now, it is completely like night and day. It was once a typical bus interior, which one could imagine hosted thousands upon thousands of schoolkids, amongst its many other passengers. However, those days are long gone, and what is left is the interior of a home that many would be happy calling their own. Jessie sure is.
To Sell Or Not To Sell? In a sharp turn of events, Jessie ended up putting the bus-turned-home up for sale on Craigslist, for a whopping $149,000. The post is no longer online and as of October 2018, it appears that Jessie is still living in what is still a relatively new home. However, it appears that she will eventually move onto something else and admits that she has taken more from the entire experience than from the actual bus. “I’m giving it up,” she said. “But I’m gaining through the experience of having had it.”
It Is Now On Airbnb. Once again, Jessie’s bus has relocated and is now in the hands of Airbnb. For just over $100 per night, you can enjoy all the amenities that the bus-turned-mobile-home has to offer. However, probably the most amazing part of the experience is that the bus is nestled in the heart of Joshua Tree, a truly idyllic desert landscape. Jessie might not have been able to sell her bus for the right price, but Airbnb is a useful alternative and she has already had many guests.
Sharing Her Story With The World. While Jessie’s remarkable story has already traveled far and wide, capturing the imaginations of many other aspiring home renovators, there is another place where you can see her story from start to finish – her Instagram account. On “the bus tiny home,” you will be able to see the entire process Jessie underwent over the last few years. Scroll to the bottom of the account and you’ll see the early stages of the transformation, all the way up to its end results.
< www.brain-sharper.com/business/woman-transforms-bus-tb >

The steps retract electrically.

Time to create page: 0.691 seconds