Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recent builds.

Re: Recent builds. 15 Apr 2015 20:36 #156953

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 309
top work here as well tool box's tarps the lot youve got it all only thing missing is a set of gates

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Recent builds. 15 Apr 2015 20:58 #156954

• Birt48
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks Paul.
I drove both of the trucks that the models are based on, loved them both. I tried to capture my memories from the late '70's. When I drove the originals, both carted reeled paper from the Maryvale mill at Morwell in the Latrobe Valley to Melbourne. If you look closely you maybe able to see the "plywood" sheets under the tarps. At the rear of the trailer there are 6 "bearers" tied and hitched. I think there are some close up photos of those details that I can post if you are interested.
Thanks for taking the time look and comment.
Cheers - Frank

Re: Recent builds. 16 Apr 2015 05:24 #156955

• Mrsmackpaul
I used to fix the lifts and cranes at Maryvale Mill what a place the stink and the rust the must have used some pretty harsh chemicals in the process of paper making the stuff would rust stainless steel
Keep on bunging up photo's I am not a model builder but I do enjoy looking at what other people can achieve

Paul

Re: Recent builds. 16 Apr 2015 09:33 #156956

• Birt48
Got to agree Paul, the smell at Maryvale is something you won't forget. It may have improved a bit nowadays but it still makes it obvious that it's still there and still working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will post those detail photos I mentioned shortly.
Cheers - Frank

Re: Recent builds. 16 Apr 2015 10:49 #156957

• Birt48
The photos of the tarps, "plywood" and the bearers. All have been "roped" down with hitches in the ropes and tied off to the coaming rail.

The prime mover.

Under the cab. The 8 V71 engine was replaced with a Cummins. The gear assembly modified to rhd.

Re: Recent builds. 16 Apr 2015 18:19 #156958

• Mrsmackpaul
do you make the trailers from scratch ?
I wouldnt think there would be many Triaxle flat deck trailer model kits out there

You have put a lot of detail onto the build
thanks for sharing

Paul

Re: Recent builds. 17 Apr 2015 13:01 #156959

• Birt48
Paul, the trailer started out as an AMT 40ft kit. It was modified to make it look more like an aussie type trailer. The coaming rails have been widened and raised. The tie rail is scratch built as are the front and rear gates, the tyre rack and the rear section of the trailer. The tri-axle unit uses an old Jaymar tri unit with a scratch built frame and axles with brake boosters from the spares box.
Auslowe Model Accessories have available several different after-market trailer kits in 1/24 th & 1/25 th scales which look very good. I haven't built one as yet but recently purchased a 1/25th scale 48ft drop deck for a project.
Cheers.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558