Skip to main content

3070 comes together

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #79057 by jms52
3070 comes together was created by jms52
With lots of help my 3070 is finally coming together;

this is what it will look like when finished. This one used to go between Adelaide and Perth with oranges west and timber or tractors east.
[img

acco 3070 1977 by jms5232 , on Flickr

This where im up to still got to get the right wheels and all the trim on but for my first mix and match im am happy so far.
[img

model by jms5232 , on Flickr

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #79058 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: 3070 comes together
So has there been more progress ? :-?

More
12 years 1 week ago #79059 by jms52
Replied by jms52 on topic Re: 3070 comes together
its coming together slowly i still have a bit to do but here are the latest photos

hopefully i have holidays coming up and i will finish it off. I'm still working on the rear cab mount and only have a temp in place at the moment. But i'm happy with the progress. It is a big learning curve for me and i have spent hours reading posts on here and other areas so thanks to all who have helped.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #79060 by Maxidyne
Replied by Maxidyne on topic Re: 3070 comes together
Great job!!!

That was Barry Phillips first 3070... My Dad and I fitted the turn table when it was delivered brand new. If memory serves me correctly he had a 1624 Benz before this with a partner, but went out on his own with this truck.

He deliberated for some time between Acco's and Louisville's... I think his dilemma was Acco's first offering with the 903's was single drive but with a Jake brake... Louisville's 903, bogie drive but no Jake! From memory the were basically the same price.

From memory he ended up with 3 or 4 Acco's, I think the later ones bogey drive and a Louey or two all towing Fruehauf trailers, all brand new!

His last Acco was blue from memory, custom ordered for his personal use with fully lined cow skin interior... Unfortunately he went broke not long after that. I always think of him when I drive past his old yard at Dry Creek, he was always a very nice guy to me as a kid.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Maxidyne.

More
11 years 11 months ago #79061 by Maxidyne
Replied by Maxidyne on topic Re: 3070 comes together
PS Some of his early loads west with this truck were ingots of lead... Just 3 stacks for 21 tonne on the single/Tri assy. I'll never forget how amazed I was at how small the load looked when he told me!

More
11 years 11 months ago #79062 by jms52
Replied by jms52 on topic Re: 3070 comes together
Your memory serves you correct Maxidyne Barry had an old merc first and with his wife brought a lot of the wide loads over to the west for the swan brewery.Unfortunately as i remember it he fell into the trap of taking over another contract and started using drivers on his extra rigs. Real nice guy would do anything for you

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds