Skip to main content

Restoring the Cabover

More
11 years 11 months ago #81907 by Young Fella
Seeing Scummy's story on his restored Road Boss got me thinking. I knew I had an old KW cabover in a box in the shed somewhere, so I dug it out. I built this kit about 25 years ago. I converted it to RHD (my first attempt at a RHD conversion) and used the 5 spoke spiders from an old GMC Astro kit, added a few extras like bullbar, aerials, CB, lights on the tank steps, KW mudflaps, scratchbuilt rear mudflap bracket with custom lights, and converted it to twin air cleaners. I was pretty happy with it and had it on display for years. I moved a few years ago and boxed it up. Anyway, I dug it out today and bits stared falling of it everywhere. So a resto is in order, another project for the winter months. Don't know whether to leave it in peaches and cream or do something different?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81908 by seattle62kw
This is something I love to do, rebirthing old built models. I get heaps more out of it than building a new model from the box. This one of yours looks very good for a 25 Year old model! Is this one a torsion bar? Personally I'd build it as a TNT again, maybe repower it with a GM, twin air cleaners? I'm actually rebuilding a K123 that was built in the early 70's at the moment but modifying the living daylights out of it and doing it as a Taranto Twinro, Mainly to trial out some new parts. This one though was a bit of a rough build so the old razor saw on the dremel is getting a real workout!
Keep us up to date on this rebuild, can't to see how it progresses :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #81909 by Young Fella
Hey there Seattle, hey, it's the torsion bar version. I think you're right, I will re-do it in peaches and cream. I've got a roof mount air conditioner and old Fuel Scoop to go on it. Might have to visit MMTA for a few more accessories, whatcha reckon???

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #81910 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
G,day , yer restore her and redo her in the TNT fleet colours and get another dynamiter on the road . She should look even better now with the detail parts available now . When i pull them down i use a pair of long nose pliers with medium pressure and down close to the piece you want to remove ,and twist it a little like pullin a tooth . And a very sharp blade model knife to get into the tight fit areas , if you hear it starting to crack make sure the you not BREAKING IT ! . Yes we want to see progress photo's as you go along, if that torsion bar set up sits level i'd leave it mate they are a mongrel to pull down and 9 times outa 10 you'll bust it , but thats ok because MMTA have a setup for sale .Just love it mate .
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Scummy.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81911 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
Here you go Seattle, I've got another Taranto pic as well if you would like it.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81912 by Young Fella
Sorry Seattle, had a brain fade. It has Hendrickson suspension on it as per the standard AMT kit. Will post progress photos.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81913 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
Good work there Young Fella!

I am waitn to see the Comet LTL........
Surely there has to be one of them in the cabinet??

chocs 8-)

More
11 years 11 months ago #81914 by Young Fella
Chocs old mate.....the Comet LTL has been a looooooong project. It sounded easy in theory, but once I started I realised I might have bitten off more than I can chew. I started with the Italeri LTL kit, shortened the chassis, converted to RHD, got a CAT 3406, rear cab panel to make it a day cab, 6 spoke wheels, a few accessories, and all was going well. Then I tried to find 1/24 scale fairings for it but no one makes them. So I have to scratchbuild them. Got a bit hard, so it stalled. Then I got just plain silly and decided to open up the doors and hinge them. Cut the doors out okay, but hinging them is a bit above my skill level. So it's all sitting there........ waiting. Along with a swag of W models, Aerodynes, a Peterbilt 352 cut down to a day cab........ so many models so little time!!! :-X

More
11 years 11 months ago #81915 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
ya might have to get the Young Fellas Young fellas on the job!

quick weekends work for a couple of young fellas ;)

plenty of time left yet mate...

chocs 8-)

More
11 years 11 months ago #81916 by Young Fella
Okay, Seattle's Taranto's rebuild has really got me keen for this project. Once rebuilt the K123 will look like this.

I know it's not a great photo and there's not much detail to work with, but it's what I'll work from. I like this one because it is not the usual cream over peaches paint scheme. And it's Alltrans, not the usual TNT.

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds