Skip to main content

Restoring the Cabover

More
11 years 11 months ago #81917 by seattle62kw
Now that's a good looking truck right there! Must have been a subbie, there's a name on the locker door too. Noticed she has a GM with the old spaghetti intake pipes and elbows coming off the aircleaner barrels.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #81918 by
Replied by on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
could it be one of micky travellos' ?. long range tanks and all the good fruit seem to add up to me...

anyone know how long he ran his own colours concurrent with the TNT/alltrans livery ?

More
11 years 11 months ago #81919 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
Talkin to a bloke about these gadgets in the pic...

I'll go out on a thin stick here...
The black cabover is an MT (Mick Travlos)
The other one may have ended up an MT but didn't start out that way..
It may have been one of 2 units like that..
Those days all Travlos were black, got painted 'colors' as they were repaired etc..
First new 'colors' were 10 W models with small bunks, followed by another order of 8 or 10..

I was told it was Bunkers that did Alltrans, not MT..

I'll give you the story and confirmation when i get it... soon..

Just remember..i'm just the messenger.....

chocs 8-)

11 years 11 months ago #81920 by
Replied by on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
..cheers chocs .. sounds good and plausible to me... :) :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #81921 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
Young Fella, check your pm's

More
11 years 10 months ago #81922 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: Restoring the Cabover
There's no progress photo's here ! Why ?

More
11 years 10 months ago #81923 by Young Fella
Sorry Scummy, haven't had much time to begin the rebuild. But I did find another one that I will give a rebuild too. This one is also a Cabover that was painted up in Comet colours and used to be in the reception area of the old Comet depot in Melbourne. It was around 1990 when it was found in a box in a cupboard and was going to be thrown out. I rescued it then, but its been in the same box ever since. Big plans for that one. Photos coming soon.

More
11 years 10 months ago #81924 by Young Fella
OK, here's the old Comet model I mentioned earlier. As you can see, it's a mess. It's in much worse shape than my peaches and cream Cabover, but there is less to strip down on this one. Obviously a slim line cab, new tanks, spiders, torsion bar suspension, old style bullbar and a GM need to be fitted. And I will do it the same to replicate KT007.

More
11 years 10 months ago #81925 by Andy Wright
Gee, I'd be happy with a truck like that if I finished 25 minutes ago not 25 years!

Digging the black and silver job. Great scheme.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
11 years 10 months ago #81926 by seattle62kw
Oh, now this one has my interest big time! Loved the old Comet slimline's and always thought about doing one. Apart from the cab shell, i do all the other parts you need including the wind deflector, in fact i have a T/bar rear end and 8V92T sitting here right now. They were to take to Ballarat but my Dremel decided to attack me the day before and unfortunitly for my thumb it had the stainless steel razor cut off wheel in it. 5 stitches and a week later it's still stuffed!
Just thought, you'll need to lop 20 - 30 mm's (off the top of my head) out of the chassis rails. Stock standard with the full sleeper cab the chassis was already too long for Aussie spec'. Anyway, let me know how i can help :)

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds