Skip to main content

My First Truck Model

More
11 years 2 months ago #104092 by Young Fella
G'day everyone. After my computer had a melt down just before Xmas, I'm up and running again. I hope everyone had a good Xmas and New Year.
I was hunting around the shed the other day and found my first ever truck model. It started life as a Movin' On Kenworth that I got when I was about 8 years old. Dad built it for me (I helped of course), and in my early teens I gave it a black paint job, straight over the top of the old Movin' On green. At 17, when I started working at Comet, I gave it a new paint job. Comet blue and white, straight over the top of the previous black paint. I took the bunk off, shortened the chassis (with a hacksaw!!! :o) and scratch built a bull bar. Later I painted it brown, straight over the top of the Comet colours, and added a tipper body from a Ford LNT Snowplow kit. It went into a box when I was about 20 and it hasn't seen the light of day since. So I found it in the box, but due to it being stored in cold conditions the glue has failed and it's fallen apart. Time for a rebuild. Here's a couple of photos. The first showing the pile of parts and a broken chassis. The next is the bonnet after a dose of oven cleaner. The layers of paint show the original green, with black ad brown layers, and specks of blue from it's Comet paint job. It will get a full rebuild, but I will not be extending the chassis back to its original length. I will leave it short as a day cab, and to keep costs down I will leave the Cummins in it. Comet ran a couple of Cummins powered W Models back in the day, so it will be painted up to replicate 1PA235, which I am pretty sure was Cummins powered. I will keep progress photos coming. Stay tuned.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #104093 by Bowlesy
Replied by Bowlesy on topic Re: My First Truck Model
Hey Youg Fella,
Loved that Movin On model.
Bought mine in Adelaide as a kid on a school trip and lugged it all the way back to Cairns.

More
11 years 2 months ago #104094 by Young Fella
Yeah Bowlesy, the Movin On jigger is one of my favourites too. Obviously the one in the photos is pretty much stuffed, and after I cut the chassis I regretted it. So I got another one in around 1987/88. I built it box stock and it is still in that condition, but a few bits have fallen off it so it needs some work. But that's something for another topic down the track after I have finished a few other projects I have going at the moment.

More
11 years 1 month ago #104095 by Young Fella
I've had a little bit of progress with the resto of the W model. Spare time is a bit light on at the moment, but still managed to get some paint striping done. You can see the old Movin' On decals that were painted straight over all those years ago. Having heaps of trouble getting all the paint off the cab, but the bonnet, grille, and air cleaners came up okay. More updates to come.

Young Fella.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104096 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: My First Truck Model
Mate , what are you useing for stripper ? Love the w model kits , every time i see one for sale gota have it.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Scummy.

More
11 years 1 month ago #104097 by 78k123
Replied by 78k123 on topic Re: My First Truck Model
gday scummy, not sure what young fella is using but i use oven cleaner to strip paint off models, it works real good and doesent affect the plastic!! cheers 78

More
11 years 1 month ago #104098 by Scummy
I used to use amway industro clean but they took it off the market . I've tried lots of stuff , the oven cleaner the type thats in the ordinary spray can ? Cheers scummy.

More
11 years 1 month ago #104099 by Young Fella
You're right 78, I'm using oven cleaner,

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104100 by Scummy
G,day , i brought the easy off oven cleaner and sprayed it and within 20 minutes i had a clean cab-gaurds-and spiders . Much quicker than the old soak and wait two days . Just gota convince the mrs , no i'm not cleaning the oven ! ;)
How would it work on resin do you recon ?
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Scummy.

More
11 years 1 month ago #104101 by 78k123
Replied by 78k123 on topic Re: My First Truck Model
gday scummy, ive used it on resin before and it works just as good,they were old resin cabs though,an old road commander and a f model mack,both bought in the 80s,the resin quality is much better these days ! just make sure you wash them in warm soapy water afterwards,and dont leave the oven cleaner on for too long!! cheers 78.

Time to create page: 0.613 seconds