Skip to main content

Modern Light Commercials.

More
10 years 8 months ago #115017 by atkipete
Amazing, should they not be using a spreader bar at the rear? Front is probably hooked to the number plate.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #115018 by Roderick Smith
This one is a hybrid photo, with a Dodge truck leading an unidentified van leading what seems to be a Bedford [no: the grille isn't sufficiently wide, and there are four headlamps; another Japanese lightie] which may be sufficiently old to qualify as historic, but I think of it as modern.

940823Tu St Georges Rd (North Fitzroy, Melbourne). Trucks. Jeff Bounds.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
10 years 8 months ago #115019 by indianman
G'day Dodge leading Acco leading I think Mitsubishi

Jon

More
10 years 8 months ago #115020 by bigcam
Last one is an FC Hino.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #115021 by Roderick Smith
Friday Melbourne 'Herald Sun' always has a page with truck news and a truck review in the automotive section. I guess that the same page runs in Murdoch papers in other states. The reviews tend to be a bit similar, but not on Fri.19.7.13. This could be history in the making. Vehicles with the same philosophy were made in the 1950s for eastern Europe and Soviet countries. A lot had three wheels, and all operated over horrible muddy & rutted roads. Many feature in youtube and online jokes: grossly overloaded, and quite battered. Australia's Lightburn Zeta came from the same philosophy. I have several Chinese examples in earlier threads.

Other news from the same issue:
* Scania is supplying 55 P440 trucks to Linfox, with 320 kW engines, cab-over configuration for easy entry to tight docks, and low-entry doors.
* Mitsubishi is getting out of the light-van market. Its Express, introduced in 1980, has had sales plummet, and rated poorly in safety tests. It has been overtaken in the market by the Hyundai iLoad.
* The Pacific Hwy bypass of Bulahdelah has been opened. The highway is now two lanes each way from Newcastle to Port Macquarie.

Roderick B Smith

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #115022 by Roderick Smith
Everything which I am finding this week is in the one category; normally I rotate around threads.

This is a crop from a photo taken for a different reason: the pub, for two pub groups.
On my first drive north, I set out to follow the railway. The road was so bad that I turned around, and used Bruce Hwy (further inland as far as Sarina). Since then, Bruce Hwy was relocated to the alignment following the railway.

The pubs which make good staging posts are mentioned in a different current thread.

I can't guess the make of this one, and there aren't many clues. However, the cab shape may be easy recognition for experts, even without a grille.

071227Th Marlborough Qld delivery van. R Smith

Roderick B Smith

More
10 years 8 months ago #115023 by bigcam
Another FC Hino I think Roderick, maybe FD, but looks like the narrower cab that the FC uses.
Later model than the truck in the other picture.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #115024 by Lang
Reference the flat-pack African truck. What dream world do these people come from. Its only advantage over probably 50 current production alternatives is it takes only hours to assemble.

The one thing these people have is plenty of time.

The price is insane. Almost every manufacturer makes a third world vehicle for about 1/3 the price with twice the strength and capability. The official load in all these countries is how many people can sit, stand or lay in them and those golf buggy wheels would go nowhere. A 1,500kg vehicle carrying 1.3 times its own weight cross country?

I suppose they will convince the British government (or starry eyed charity) to burn up a couple of million dollars on donating them to some destitute villages who will destroy them in 3 days.

Great little truck for French and Italian market gardeners to take their produce to town.

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #115025 by Roderick Smith
Another gaggle, in their working habitat.
The one at the right should be easy to recognise (but I can't); the second may have sufficient clues; the third is surely impossible for anyone.

130131Th North Melbourne (Vic.). Trucks at work on the RRL rail project. (Jeff Bounds)

Roderick B Smith

More
10 years 8 months ago #115026 by indianman
G'day a pair of Isuzus and I reckon from the shape of the sleeper an aerodyne in the background IDSTBC though

Jon

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds