Skip to main content

isuzu turbo egt's

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #124932 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Re: isuzu turbo egt's
The housing in the jig ready to have a corner cut.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/don_j1/ce22e888-5ac1-45d1-b5a1-da336c6d700b_zps8910718c.jpg?t=1378548149

Close up.

First cut. 2mm deep, 1.5 wide

Fitted
http://s806.photobucket.com/user/don_j1/media/P1160447_zpsefa5e1aa.jpg.html?sort=2&o=4

n
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by jon_d.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #124933 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: isuzu turbo egt's
Last photo ...

[IMG

Looks great mate!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Bugly.

More
10 years 4 months ago #124934 by d23j
Replied by d23j on topic Re: isuzu turbo egt's
How is the turbo going? Regards Andrew

More
10 years 4 months ago #124935 by swamprat
Replied by swamprat on topic Re: isuzu turbo egt's
check that you havnt got any restrictions in the intake side of things , are you using the original air filter assembly for that engine , my 6tb cummins usually cruises around 600 to 700 farenhiet with the probe mounted after the turbo , the highest reading i can get is around 900F when lugging it on a hill with a loaded trailer , you should see the highest reading when the engine is loaded up lower in the rev range as the rpm increase & turbo flows more air then the temp should drop , ive increased my boost from 14psi max to 25psi by altering the intake system & maximun fuel adjustment in the pump , i think your reading are on the high side , restricted exhaust or inlet restricting the air flow will bring the temp up as will overfuelling

D1510 International 4wd 6BT cummins power steer

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #124936 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Re: isuzu turbo egt's
I believe 650 C before the turbo is about your limit, after the turbo it would most likely be 450-500 max.
Not sure of the ettique of mentioning other sites but there is a lot of info on the Cummins 4 BT site(4btswaps) in regards conversions , and they cover a lot of engines
Mainly the 4 Cyl Isuzu's but the same temperatures apply.
Cheers Steve
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Blackduck59.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #124937 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Re: isuzu turbo egt's
Hi All,

I finally took the Bedford for a test drive today. I had a few problems in the assembly as well as other things away from the bus.

Here's the story for those that are interested.

After machining the housing, I went to fit everything up, yet the turbine just felt tight. So, I decided to strip down the core.

It was basically rooted. The heat shield had corroded away and was rubbing on the turbine wheel. Rendering both US. The internal were gummed up. The only thing salvable was the compressor wheel and the core housing. I think this may have been binding it and thus restricting the exhaust and the true cause of the high EGT's

I put a call into the Chinese who supplied the housings and they immediately offered a refund on the housings due to some shipping damage. I swapped the refund for 2 kits, 4 shields and one wheel set. Some have said beware of the Chinese wheels, but unfortunately, I'm stuck. Nothing else available.

So, they arrive at no cost.

I fitted the kit and Chinese compressor and turbine, however when tightening everything up, the compressor wheel bound on the core. Luckily the original wheel didn't and I fitted it.

I took it to MTQ for balancing as they have been really helpful in providing advice while recognising I was between a rock and a hard place. (Thankyou MTQ Dandy).

They balanced it and commented that it was almost in perfect balance.

Then on full reassembly, the turbine housing was just touching on the wheel when finally clamped down. So, I had to pack the housing out by about 1.5mm. By chance, an old piston ring was the perfect size, and hopefully the perfect material.

Most of this is caused by trying to fit a Chinese housing and wheels to the Japanese core.

After a bit more mucking around lining up the dump pipe, it finally went back together.

The results are;

Boost is much quicker and full.

EGT's. On the old turbo, I was getting 500-650*C on a steady hill 8* incline and they wouldn't fall.... amost like it was a runnaway.

On the new turbo, the EGT's were 500 and steady. And they fall quite quickly after lifting the foot.

One thing though, (this is a front mounted engine), the turbo was really smoky in the engine bay. I'm trying to work out if I have an exhaust leak, or whether it was just the oil in the casting and handling burning off. By the time I got home, it seemed to have cleared.

Q: Has anyone had an experience like this, why the new housing smokes for about 20 minutes when new?

Also, in amongst all this, I did the exhaust brake bushes. The brake may have been binding too.

For anyone that is interested, FJ Bushings ( www.fjbushings.com.au ) are great. They can manufacture bushes and bearing components at a very reasonable cost.

The diff pinion inner bearing had spun on the pinion landing. I was up for a new crown wheel and pinion. However, FJ's made me a new bearing inner (2 thou smaller ID, same OD), case hardened and perfect.

If you have a worn bearing and need something made, give these guys a ring.

thanks

jd

Thanks.

Jon.

Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by jon_d.

More
10 years 3 months ago #124938 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: isuzu turbo egt's
Jon, its good to see you got everything running as it should. I wouldnt worry too much about the new turbo smoking, it with just be the anti corrosion oil burning out of the pores in the metal. I like your piston ring idea, will have to remember that one.

Regards DD

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds